Author Topic: Paper Modeling and Injuries  (Read 4790 times)

cmags

• Kudos 0
Re: Paper Modeling and Injuries
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 11:55:57 AM »
Never thought of reading glasses as magnification lenses, but I guess that's all they are, huh?  Good idea, I might have to try that out myself. 

I don't use a normal Xacto or equivalent knife on my models.  I have a retractable pen-knife with replacement blades that is just as sharp, but only about a third the size (blade), and have just gotten into the habit of retracting the blade every time I put the knife down.  Knock on paper-ore, but I haven't cut myself with it yet.

sgoti

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 0
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 01:38:20 AM »
Three weeks ago, the edge of the tip of my left middle finger met up with a table saw...

Fortunately, "all it did" was create a neat little trench about 1/8" wide, from the middle of the finger to the edge of the nail. Right. To. The. Edge...

Glue in the wound? You bet, baby! Had to submerge everything in water to get it to set, however.

Helpful hint: Use flexible super glue. Otherwise the "seal" keeps lifting/digging into the surrounding area.

Thank you, God! The wound is healing quite nicely, and I can still count to ten....  ;D
Glenn

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 06:33:16 PM »
My dad's cousin does a lot of woodworking projects and he had to show me his new saw.  Next thing I knew, THWAP! and blood everywhere.  They tried to reattach his thumb, but it eventually had to be removed again.

Tablesaws can be very dangerous, especially when you become skilled and a little careless.  Glad you are healing well.
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 05:46:30 PM »
Here's a new injury to be cautious of.  De Quervain's Tendinosis which is basically inflamed thumb tendons which hurt like the blazes.  I was using my hand like a "C" clamp while cutting out paper parts.  I had my fingers on the top of the table and thumb under it clamping the paper to my cutting board.  I guess I was really straining by thumb tendons without realizing it.  Didn't feel a thing then one night I thought my thumb was broken from the huge pain which developed during night and kept me from sleeping.  Every flex of the thumb was very painful, its been about a week and the pain mostly gone.  I'll be cutting parts differently now...

Graphic from http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00007

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 05:52:33 PM »
Oh, my, hopefully your recovery will be quick

Wad Cutter

• Kudos 1
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 04:00:37 PM »
Any injury you sustain that keeps from modeling can't be good on any level. Major or minor is not a good thing. In my case I've been sick now for two long weeks wishing I could drag myself back to my modeling table. I'm having trouble thinking correctly (not that this is anything new)and being  able to stay focused on anything other then the Science Channel and even then not to clear. I love all of Dave's models and try to keep a undated model of all of Dave's Cool Cars. Weather it's a cut, a broken bone and a cold doesn't matter. It hurts to be away. All I can or want to think of is getting back to modeling. I guess this make me a addict and here I'm in great company. Take it easy Dave of the cuts. You only have so much blood.  wc 

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 04:28:31 PM »
Too sick or injured to build?
No way.
I have bled on models.
Seriously...LOL...cutting out parts wondering what the stains were.

You must all sign a non-injury clause now.
You are not allowed to postpone building of any of my models due to injury*.

*Obviously, I am talking about anything that is non life threatening.
Lung Transplants, Leg amputation, Head Transplants...those are all acceptable exclusions.

Wait...I'm recinding the Leg Amputation.
Only double leg plus one arm amputations are tolerated.
In all other circumstances you are required to continue.

DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 06:42:55 PM »
I wish you a quick recovery.  Work is what is keeping me away these days.  Really starting to tick me off.  I may even be peeved or even irked.

Forgive me for the harsh language...