Author Topic: 1/33 P-51D Mustangs  (Read 10210 times)

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
1/33 P-51D Mustangs
« on: April 10, 2012, 11:51:43 PM »
Thats correct...I'm getting ready to release a brand new series of Mustang kits!

This time...its a brand new P-51D design...

I didn't design the initial 3D model...I am not quite at that level yet with Fuselage and Wing design.
But since I didn't want to wait forever and  I wanted an exclusive model of my own,
I went ahead and commissioned one of the best designers out there to create the basic model template to work from.
I made some specific requests about what I needed in the basic design and I think I got what I wanted!

Since there are very few all painted D model 'Stangs, it is obvious I need to work out the basic
metal finish which will be the background for all Paint schemes.
Thats what I am just finishing up...before I move on to detailing the interior and Wheel wells.

Yes, it will have a full interior and fully recessed Landing gear wells.
I've got a fair bit of design and redesign to do on the Cockpit components, Landing gear, etc
so this won't be a quick release...but at least the work has begun!

I'm pretty happy with my texturing so far...a test build will confirm any necessary adjustments as far as colouring
but I think its a good looking base for a cool livery.

I haven't settled on a first Paint scheme yet.
But I can tell you one thing...it will be a Tuskegee Airmen aircraft!
...or a few Tuskegee planes!

My primary goal is to add a series of D Model Red Tails to my current collection of Tuskegee Mustangs!
So, although I welcome some Paint Scheme suggestions, please don't inundate me with too many requests.

I know theres a few Mustang fans out there...and I know the D model is of big interest.
This is an exciting project for me.
Keep watching!

DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
Re: 1/33 P-51D Mustangs
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 11:56:38 PM »
oh...wait...right off the bat...I have a request to ask of any Mustang experts out there...

I am looking for aircraft serials, for these P-51Ds:

"Meatball Rap II" flown by Charles Lane 99thFS Italy 1945
"Tall in the Saddle" - George Hardy, 99thFS, Italy 1945
"Creamers Dream" - Charles White, 301stFS, Italy 1945
"Little Freddie" - Freddie Hutchins, 302ndFS, Italy 1944

Loui

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 5
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 06:28:54 AM »
Great!! Thanks for the head up... ETA -Estimated Time of Arrival- to ecardmodels?... :D

bomarc

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 1
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 07:22:33 AM »
Just caught this thread. Pretty heady stuff!

After you do the "Red Tails", there's a lot of nice post war Canadian P-51D schemes (just saying).

I am looking for aircraft serials, for these P-51Ds

I posted your query on the P-51 SIG, we'll see what turns up.
- Mike

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 08:13:12 PM »
Thanks Mike...
to be honest, last time I posted a question on the P-51 SIG, I got zero responses.
I have better luck at the ArmyAirForces forum...but thats probably because of the amounts of traffic.

I'm in no rush at the moment, so lets see what appears.

Yes!...I think there are a few nice Canuck Mustangs to be made!
Seems they were all D models I think.

Along with working out the overall template for this P-51, I am also fiddling with smaller detail parts.

The exhaust need improvement...once again, not a proper exhaust shield, but six little pipes
and an upper cover...much like the B/C Mustang styling.

If you are familiar with D model exhaust, you will know that it consists of 6 simple pipes
projecting through a formed heat shield. This is all behind a cutout in the fuselage.

So I wanted to fit it up properly...but I didn't want to bother with a cutout in the fuselage.
This would affect the forward fuselage assembly and interfere with the internal formers.

The fuselage will have a marked out area, coloured black, to represent the fuselage cutout.
In this area you can assemble and fit the full heat shield with 6 little exhaust pipes.

Unfortunately this means some small parts...
and for those of you who don't want to tackle the small parts, how about a 2D rendition?
Just cut it out and attach in the same location.

Please ignore the pipe angles in the 3D assembly...I obviously angled the pipes down a little too much.
I have since corrected the locator marks to a more horizontal look.

And, I am satisfied with the fit and the look and the printing of these forward fuselage parts.
This tells me I can go forward with my texturing and detail ideas on the rest of the aircraft!
I like the colours I have chosen...I think the "metal" look is acceptable.  (any opinion?)

Only thing missing is some heat discolouration on the stainless steel exhaust parts.

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »
Fine looking model in progress here. I have built my P-51 D version in plastic and I covered it with foil. I still like the looks of her though I did the build over 20 years ago. I like the option you offer with the exhaust pipes and I must say they both look convincing when finished.

BR Tappi

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 10:27:45 PM »
Quick test of the Props and Spinner...everything looks good.

3 part spinner is easily burnished into a nice rounded shape.
I am very please with this design.

Prop blades are simple...I used a real photo for artwork.
I decided not to make the "cuffs" a separate part. At this scale, I'm not sure
it would really improve the look...but it would add another small part to deal with.

Not sure why I have extra ring lines around the spinner...I will have to check into that.

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 12:55:00 AM »
Could it be possible to use darker shade of the spinner color as the line color instead of black? That might help it to blend better when built. Just a thought.

BR Tappi

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 09:14:50 AM »
Could it be possible to use darker shade of the spinner color as the line color instead of black? That might help it to blend better when built. Just a thought.
BR Tappi

yes...thats usually what I do.
On the final model I will change the colour of panel lines on different parts model to better blend in

But right now I am looking at the extra line around the spinner.
I see four lines...the spinner is in three parts, so two of the lines are necessary.
One line is where the spinner separates at the prop blades.

So whats that extra line nearer to the front?
I think it might be a left over colour division?
Maybe a two colour spinner?
Anyway, I need to remove that line which will give the spinner a cleaner look.

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 09:35:18 AM »
I believe the line between the blades is a structural detail. Others you can get rid of.

BR Tappi

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 12:15:18 PM »
Looking good so far, Dave.
I like the option for a modeler to choose 2D or 3D exhaust. I know some may be intimidated, or have no interest in such details. It's always good to have choices!
I'm not a Mustang expert, but from the pictures I've seen I would keep only the line between the blades - exactly what Tappi has suggested. 
Cheers,
Tomek