Author Topic: 1/33 P-51D Mustangs  (Read 10216 times)

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
Re: 1/33 P-51D Mustangs
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2012, 11:43:03 AM »
The orinal looked fine and so does this and I should have been more specific: the blunt end could be sharper, there could be one ore two more colors involved. I just had something like in this photo (http://rwphotos.photoshelter.com/image/I0000HfFZYqhc5VA) in my mind like, effect in the pic is a bit too much I agree but the color variations are interesting. Your choice anyway, your doing fine job with this. And everything you said about the relation of the artwork and printing it is so very true.

Tappi

oh, I see what you are suggesting.

Its obvious that there are different looks and different levels of heat discolouration.
However, that photo you are using, appears to be an HDR image. Which means is is digitally altered
to provide excessive contrast and colour definition. Not natural.

The panel around the exhaust is Stainless Steel, unlike the normal aluminum fuselage panels.
If the aluminum is highly polished it will start to discolour like the Stainless Steel...but WW2 aircraft
were not highly polished.

Heres some photos with more natural colour and lighting.
See how the colour is not that brilliant.
(and I am hoping my artwork will tone down a lot more when printed)

Don't worry Tappi...this is the kind of feedback I like!
I am usually more interested in the artwork and the texturing so its fun to play around with this stuff.
I enjoy trying to justify my choices and artwork...if i can't, that proves to me that I am wrong.

I'm happy enough with the current colouring right now
...its probably best to see how it prints before I make any more changes.
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

milenio3

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
    • Paper Jerry Scale Models
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 03:45:11 PM »
It looks you are much fun designing this ┬┤tangs, Dave!!

New discoveries and methods, right?

Well, the D model is somewhat expected from you, eh?

I'll keep an eye of your progress, and of course I will get a couple when ready!

PS How about the Mustang in Galveston as my suggestion? "Galveston Gal".Greenish nose.  Not a good pic (sun is against you in the San Antonio air show  8) )

- Gerardo
facebook.com/paperjerry

milenio3

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
    • Paper Jerry Scale Models
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 03:46:36 PM »
PS2 I'm loving the details... rivets and lines... nice!
- Gerardo
facebook.com/paperjerry

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 12:56:33 PM »
Well...print out is GOOOOD!

I am very happy with the way the colours and details have printed on my little Home printer.
I set the output to "Fine" (higher dpi)...but did not alter the colour
(I have a "vivid" colour setting on my Brother printer for increased saturation)

The rivets are not overpowering if you ask me...and would blend in more if you opted for low to normal res printing.
(Most home printers are set to "normal" or a middle quality resolution as default)

I'm using an average quality 65lb cardstock and the absorption rate is pretty good.
Glossy papers would be a lot sharper...but i still don't think the rivets will be a big issue.

Since I have decided on a first paint scheme and I have the basic fuselage parts done,
I am able to start a test build.
I can assemble the front and rear halves of the fuselage, but I won't be able to attach them
until I get the Cockpit parts done.

heres where I am so far...
(one thing I did notice and fixed this morning, is the colour transition over the Prop Spinner parts.
However this might be the only aircraft model with an unpainted spinner, so it isn't really a big issue)

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 06:28:04 AM »
I might be a photographic issue but I'd suggest a bit more contrast to the art work to avoid the greyish impression one so easily get with metal surfaces. I know my printer tends to kind of 'dampen' the tonescale by default setting and I'm glad I have extensive adjustment panel to work that around.

Tappi

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 08:26:36 AM »
I might be a photographic issue but I'd suggest a bit more contrast to the art work to avoid the greyish impression one so easily get with metal surfaces. I know my printer tends to kind of 'dampen' the tonescale by default setting and I'm glad I have extensive adjustment panel to work that around.
Tappi

To be honest I am pretty happy with the printout.
And I am worried that if I contrast the metal surface artwork any more than this
it will become too overpowering and too strong for those who prefer a more solid colour look.

Lets wait until I print the wings and see the effect on those parts.

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 08:28:05 AM »
How about the Mustang in Galveston as my suggestion? "Galveston Gal".Greenish nose.  Not a good pic (sun is against you in the San Antonio air show  8) )

Looks like a two seater?
Not just a different cockpit, but the canopy (and fuselage?) are slightly different.

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 08:46:36 AM »
Yeah, like I said it could be an issue with photos and my laptop display and weakening eyesight due to my age and ... but I'm patient and I trust your judgement.

Tappi

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2012, 06:52:05 PM »
test building the Cockpit parts today.
Everything looks pretty good with only some minor tweaks still to do.
Then its on to colouring and textures.

But first...a small issue with some former parts I need to sort out.
Then, hopefully, I will be able to assemble the main fuselage!

cmags

• Kudos 0
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2012, 09:24:17 PM »
Looking good Dave!  I'm excited to see what you turn out here.  Not that I need *another* Mustang in my collection, but I very well may have to build one of these since it's so exciting and new.

I know you mentioned it was played out (or something to that effect) over on PM.com, but think you might be convinced to do the mostly-bare-metal '51D version of the Old Crow?  I'm trying to build my collection of Anderson's planes - I've got his '51B, and the '51D in full green (though its the modern-day replica variant with no guns and a second seat where the radio box would have been).  I've also got his P-39 Airacobra printed, and working on his F-105 Thud Old Crow II repaint.  I think that would complete the collection.

Some details if you're interested in taking it on (no rush on doing it though, got a lot of kits at the top of my build pile at the moment anyway): http://www.cebudanderson.com/p51ddetailpage.htm

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2012, 09:34:51 PM »
hey, thats not a bad choice.
if I have to do one, it may as well be something different!

and the painting info helps alot!
thanks