Author Topic: New Releases of Pre-Printed Kits from Europe  (Read 40973 times)

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
New Releases of Pre-Printed Kits from Europe
« on: April 11, 2012, 02:13:20 PM »
I thought some of you may be interested in new releases of pre-printed kits from Europe.
I frequent Polish modeling sites and obviously get such information almost straight from the horse's mouth. Unfortunately, availability of these kits in North America is limited, but they can always be obtained through European retailers or directly from the publishers. I do that myself a couple of times a year.

GPM announced recently a release of few new kits :

HMS Naiad (available from April 20, 2012)

Kontroler 8 (available from April 20, 2012)

Avro 504K (from 4/15/12)

Douglas O-25C (from 4/15/12)

Cheers,
Tomek

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
Re: The Wind from the East
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 10:13:35 AM »
Next portion of the news  .... (or gossip in this case ;D)

There are rumors that the next Haliński kit, MiG-29A already left the printing shop and soon should be available. This kit created quite a hype on Polish modeling sites, quite ridiculous if you ask me ::) . It supposed to have a very limited run (numbered copies?) and according to some all the run was sold in pre-orders (price around $40). Let's see how much of this info turns to be true, and how much was imagined by over excited modelers...

Few photos of the test build here.

It was announced that Mały Modelarz is publishing a model of Titanic in 1:100 scale (what? 1:100??  :o). As the anniversary of the disaster approaches, the hopes to see the kit in stores on time are becoming very dubious ... I bet they will have 2-3 months delay at least.

Stay tuned...

correction: well, it seems I got carried away as well  :P. Titanic scale is 1:200. Still very impressive...
Cheers,
Tomek

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:29:49 AM »
While going through GPM's new releases I missed one more kit: Hawker Fury.

If to believe some sources, this is basically a repaint of the model designed by M. Lewan and published previously by WAK. There is some base to suspect that the GPM kit carries the same bugs and faults as it's predecessor (mainly too big formers and far from the original overall shape).

GPM annouced also one more kit: ship s/s Wilno. Release date unknown at this point.

Cheers,
Tomek

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 11:44:13 AM »
This came as a total surprise for me ... but I think I'm not in minority in that.

Szkutnik team has just announced three new models to be released in this and the next year. The first one is  RMS "Titanic" in 1:200 scale (looking through the details they going to leave MM kit far behind in accuracy and detailing), two others are her two sisters: HMT Olympic (camo from mid 1918) and HMHS Britannic (hospital ship camo).

Each of this models consists of more then 10,000 parts. The design team tried to create models as accurate as possible, and according to the announcement they got help from various experts in the field.  The kits will include few innovations for ship card modeling. Among them the most interesting seems to be "double layered skin". The hull will consist of actual panels glued to the inner skin layer.

Szkutnik presented some of the renders and sheets with parts:

The publisher plans to produce some after market for the kits, i.e. laser cut formers, photo-etched parts, metal gun barrels for the Olympic.
It still remains a mystery how exactly these kits will be printed - offset printing or simply laser printing. For hi-res versions of the above photos please visit the announcement link.
Cheers,
Tomek

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 12:31:24 PM »
Interesting news and the Kontroller and the Avro looks like models I could even buy. Avro flew in Finnish skies and those workboats are just dear to me. Titinic, nah - to much of them around. For what I could see from the pictures the innovation might have something to do with the skinning of the hull.

BR Tappi

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
Re: New Releases of Pre-Printed Kits from Europe
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 06:26:21 PM »
Is this thread going to be an ongoing collection of new release (European Kits)?

(me likey!  I have no problem with this...please continue to post them as you find them)

But I did feel the need to change the title of the thread to be a little more self-explanatory.
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 09:14:34 PM »
I've never seen on any English language paper modeling forums any comprehensive coverage of what's new in Europe. From time to time, someone (even a publisher himself) posts announcements, but it has never been done on any regular basis. It's interesting to me, personally, and I thought some other people may find it at least ... hmmm... amusing. I would like to do it on the ongoing basis. This could be a one stop shop for this kind of info.
I keep my ear close to the ground, but have certain gaps in information. I occasionally see news about Ukrainian or Bulgarian releases, but that's pretty much it. No German, Austrian or Czech developments. I would love to see someone with knowledge of these areas to chime in.

But I did feel the need to change the title of the thread to be a little more self-explanatory.
Must be my poor grammar, lol. I still like my old title :'(

I understand and share your feelings about the Titanic, Tappi. On the other hand, I know few people who are crazy about this subject. I'm suspecting there is quite a lot of them in general public.
There is a very interesting back story to this announcement. Not many people knew about it, and those few involved kept their mouth shut for very long time...
I referred to the publisher as "Szkutnik team". Szkutnik is a ship modeler and member on few Polish modeling forums. That's what most of us new about him. It turned out, he assembled a team of designers, historians, modelers who worked on these projects for 5 years. They are not real card kit publishers, just fanatic enthusiasts who put their knowledge and resources together to create this special three kits as a commemoration of the 100 year anniversary of the Titanic disaster. It appears it's their one time project, they don't have any plans to work on any other designs.
Some other details were revealed in the meantime. The kits will be printed using the offset method, and their cost won't go over 200 Polish Zloty (about $62).
As Tappi noticed, the innovative approach will consist of a different way to skin the hull. The kits will have basically an inner skin for the hull (cardstock thickness), on top of which single panels will be glued (regular printing paper thickness). There are also some tweaks in the hull structure (formers) which purpose is to ease skinning process in terms of alignment and prevention of the starving cow syndrome.
Oh... I forgot to mention that the print run for each kit will consist of around 500 copies.
Cheers,
Tomek

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 11:47:27 PM »
Yes, please continue I like this kind of info. I visit the Polish sites occasionally but it's really hard to find this kind of info when you don't read the language. That's a very interesting story behind the Titanic models. The fact that it's going to be a limited edition it has some collector potential too. An investment for ones 'private pension fund' as I call my model collection.

BR Tappi

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 09:25:40 AM »
The fact that it's going to be a limited edition it has some collector potential too. An investment for ones 'private pension fund' as I call my model collection.
It sounds more like a justification you give to your family for spending money on such frivolous things as card models :P ;)
Cheers,
Tomek

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 10:41:34 AM »
MEN (not women) do that with just about every purchase they make...
"its an investment", "I can sell it and double my money", "its educational", "its not for me, its for the kids!"
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 10:24:53 AM »
Not for the kids, always for me. Very often educational too. I think I'll end up selling a lot because I don't have not enought time to build all of them. Investement maybe - for maintaining my mental stabilty. Life is to short to worry everything, if something interests me I buy it eventually someday and smuggle it into the house.

Tappi