Author Topic: New Releases of Pre-Printed Kits from Europe  (Read 40817 times)

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
Re: New Releases of Pre-Printed Kits from Europe
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 03:48:50 PM »
Exactly my thought! Haha! Maybe Dave should update his resume  ;)

I'm expecting somebody in Poland will post soon pictures of the MiG-29A sheets. I'll let you guys know.
Cheers,
Tomek

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »
Promised links to a preview of the MiG-29A:

Click A (parts sheets, bit blurry though)
Click B (nice construction drawings)
Cheers,
Tomek

The Orange

• Kudos 0
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 10:54:15 AM »
Thanks Tomek keeping us aware of the MiG developments.

I have to say, the model does look nice! But I'm not sure if I can justify the price. What's your opinion on this Tomek?

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2012, 11:12:18 AM »
Dave's rivets are much much better!

Tappi

I agree, my rivet detail is a little less obvious.

I already know that I cannot please everyone.
Many people don't like my simplified designs
...on the other hand, I don't like the complicated Halinski design. Too many parts for me.
(but thats just a personal build preference)

I also notice theres something wrong with the Wing insignia.
The "bar" looks like it is improperly positioned against the roundel and is too narrow.
Might just be the angle, but it doesn't look right to me.
Thats the kind of thing that should be corrected.

This interior colour thing is a big issue for too.
There seems to be two and three different colours used in cockpit, wheelwells, etc
All slightly different.
And then theres the issue of repaint or repair when in service.
Did the plane come out of the factory with paint? and if so, is it the original colour?
and was it ever changed in service?

And don't get me started on the "correct colour" and its paint codes!
Way too many opinions on that!
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2012, 11:18:56 AM »
One thing I DO NOT like...

is the scanning and publishing of complete model pages from these kits.

I notice, on the European forums, that this is a common practice.
Maybe the manufacturers don't mind?

I would mind...in fact, I criticised a member of one of these forums
for publishing photos of every page of my Arctic Ski LC-130 Hercules kit.
I asked that he add watermarks over all the images to deter the copying and reprinting of the pages.

Sure, the quality of the scans would be pretty poor, but there are still guys out there who
try to make a pirated kit from these images.
Some people will do anything to avoid paying for a model.

I just wish someone would demand that image posts like that
include watermarks or banners across the images
to help protect the original designer or manufacturer of the model.

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2012, 09:19:13 PM »
I have to say, the model does look nice! But I'm not sure if I can justify the price. What's your opinion on this Tomek?
Frankly, I'm not that excited about this kit, maybe because I don't build jets .... I'm not planning to buy it.
I think the price is justified to some degree. I can imagine amount of work they put into it. I'm sure the details are overwhelming. I also think the whole anniversary limited edition was a good chance to raise the price a little bit more. I always try to think about amount of fun we get for every dollar we spend on a kit. This one will keep you occupied for a year or longer (I'm serious!). $67 for months of modeling ... seems like a bargain to me ;). I'm still pissed they charge us extra $20 bucks. And for what? English instruction? Ridiculous...

I already know that I cannot please everyone.
Many people don't like my simplified designs
...on the other hand, I don't like the complicated Halinski design. Too many parts for me.
(but thats just a personal build preference)
But Dave, why you think about pleasing everybody? It doesn't work this way. There are different modelers, with different expectations and preferences. You cater to specific group of people - that's all. It's all good. The hobby would be in trouble if there would be only the highest shelf kits ala Halinski. 

And don't get me started on the "correct colour" and its paint codes!
Way too many opinions on that!
No, I hope we won't get into such discussions ;)
I'm sure most of us share the same attitude toward modeling as me. It's a good chance to learn few things about modeled subject. A color of a wheelbay may seem insignificant in the first glance, but researching such details leads one to a better understanding how these machines were produced, what materials were used and how the whole geopolitical situation played a role in the overall product. Pretty interesting stuff! Am I going to boycott a kit because the wheelbay color is incorrect? Of course not. It's still supposed to be fun ... I'm OK with building inacurate models. The learning process which accompanies modeling is more important to me.
I still think from a publisher of a such caliber as Halinski we should expect more. Paper models are not easy to correct if things are not accurate.  We have not much choice just to rely on a designer to do his homework.

One thing I DO NOT like...
is the scanning and publishing of complete model pages from these kits.
I really don't want this to evolve into a full blown copyright exchange ....
With all respect, I think you overreacting Dave. I'm sure nobody can build a model based on such photos (theses are not scans), especially Halinski kit (their are infamous for their zero mistake tolerance design). Inaccuracies created by distortion of the photography makes is physically worthless. Scans can be a different story, but people don't do that. It has many benefits - people can see more before buying a kit. They can say if they like it or not, and it drives the sales in the end.
Another thing is that these are pre-printed kits. Home printed kits which are based on a professionally printed one (offset printing) are inferior - cardstock is different, print quality different, etc. It's not a good substitution which can compete with the original. I'm sure people who get pirated kits wouldn't buy original in the first place. What's the loss to the publisher in such situation? Not much. I'm not buying the whole Hollywood lobby rhetoric in such aspect as copyrights  ;). But that's just me....
Cheers,
Tomek

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2012, 11:06:09 PM »
Tomek...you are misreading my statements...

I have no desire to please everybody, and I don't try to please everybody.
That was my point.
I am acknowledging that no matter what I do with my models, it will not please everyone
...and I'm okay with that.

And my staement on posting full pages of a model is a valid personal opinion.

Yes, there is a valid copyright issue
...just like any sort of printed matter, you cannot legally reprint any part in this manner (without proper permissions).

Even the covers you are posting are technically copyrighted images.
(But I think the model companies (and me) are okay with the free publicity)

However, the copyright issue was not my immediate concern.

I am commenting on the idea of publishing every single page of a model (scanned and uploaded)
on a website or webpage for all to see...without the approval of the designer or distributor.
There are actually some idiots who will save the images, blow them up and create a poor quality
pirate copy of the model.
You might not think its is worth it...but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

If someone posts full pages of one of my models, I will expect there to be watermarks or banners
appearing on the image that will deter any sort of copying or piracy.
And I would expect the same of posting kits by Halinski, GPM, Marek, Nobi, Kampfleigger, etc etc

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 01:21:37 PM »
A relatively new Polish publisher, Świat z Kartonu (ŚZK), released a model of medieval crossbow in 1:25 scale. ŚZK is using digital printing methods for their kits. They don't offer offset printing (so be warned!)

The kit includes 1 A4 page of parts. Author: Marek Dworaczek.

Cheers,
Tomek

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 02:10:51 PM »
.... and more news from Świat z Kartonu.

Zalewski WZ. XI "Kogutek" (1/33, 2 sheets A4 of parts, 3 pages of  drawings and 3 pages of intruction ; designer: Krystian Szczepaniuk):

Focke-Wulf Fw-190 A4 (1/33, 7 sheets A4 of parts, 1 page of drawings, 4 pages of instruction ; designer Andrzej Maciejczak):

Knowing reputation of the Focke Wulf author and seeing his test build of this model I would advise against purchasing of this kit  ;)
Cheers,
Tomek

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2012, 01:32:16 PM »
Model-Kom announced their new kit, a mobile, surface-to-air missile system  9K33 OSA in 1/25 scale.

More photos here.

This publisher previously released a model of the Polish light tank Anders, the stealth bomber B-2 and 2k12 KUB. It looks their interests oscillate around modern warfare  ;)
Cheers,
Tomek

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2012, 09:57:29 AM »
Another good news from Answer.  It looks like they restarted their activity.
On their website (in Polish version of it) can be found an announcement informing clients that they coming back to the paper model business. Apparently the company have never ceased to exist, they just folded their paper kits publishing part and now they decided to restart it. I wonder if the warm reception of the previously announced projects "from a drawer" had to do something with that.

Anyway, it looks like they will make available some of their older kits published between 2000-2011. I was very surprised to learn that they going to publish Diamond T980 and Rogers M9 set which I mentioned earlier. The company informs also about their plans to release BR 86 Kriegslok locomotive as an entirely laser cut kit.
Cheers,
Tomek