Author Topic: Show us your tool! ;-)  (Read 2377 times)

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
Show us your tool! ;-)
« on: April 23, 2012, 04:24:36 PM »
Every March my modeling club organizes a meeting on which we show each other tools we use in our hobby. It's always a fun activity, and there is always something new to learn. I think we could do something like that here in this thread. Have you picked up new scissors recently? what are your scoring tools? what knives and blades are you using?

Show us your tool!

Cheers,
Tomek

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
Re: Show us your tool! ;-)
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:43:03 PM »
Fiskars 5 inches softgrip spring action scissors:

My first hobby scissors. I love them. They're small, with sharp tips and very comfortable. Got them for around 15 bucks.
Funny thing, I used them much more often when I started the hobby. Now it seems the knives are more handy for me....
Cheers,
Tomek

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 02:38:25 PM »
Continuing the most basic tools ...

Hobby knives and blades.
For cutting thick cardboard I go with relatively cheap segmented knife. I guess almost any brand will do for this task as long as it's not too big for our purposes.

For finer work I've been using for years x-acto knives and no. 11 blades. They are fine, but I think everybody gets frustrated by easily broken tips. In my case that's the most common damage. I suspect I simply put too much pressure on the knife.

Recently I got Olfa knife and I'm sold. It's a pricey tool compared to others, but in the long run worth it. As other brands they offer the whole line of different blades, but for our purposes the most useful are KB and KB-4S (this would be an equivalent of X-acto no. 11 blade). KB blade can be used for most of the jobs and since its tip is not that pointy it doesn't break easily. They last much longer, and sharpening them makes a lot of economic sense. KB-4S are more fragile, but less than US made no. 11 ones. They are perfect for finer details and tight spaces where elements are cut in a piercing motion rather than sliding the blade over cut material.
The knife on the photos is a fancy one, with cushioned grip and a blade cap, anti-roll device in the back, and CA-resistant materials ... So what! I can treat myself occasionally!

The knives are useless, or at least very difficult to use without a metal ruler!

Cheers,
Tomek

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 10:08:20 AM »
Olfa CPM-1 compass cutter for cutting circles.
A perfect tool for all vehicle models, where numerous circles for wheels have to be cut. It speeds up the work tremendously and the results is much better than can be done with regular scissors.
Find a center of the circle, make a small whole with pin, harden it with CA, insert the cutter's leg and cut! Very simple. The cutter comes with 5 extra blades.

Cheers,
Tomek

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 01:15:06 PM »
It's so funny that you started this thread because I had an idea to show the tools I used making the kayak in the build thread. The picture was a bit out of focus and I forgot all about it. But here it is now:

Pretty much the basic tools I can imagine everybody as you can see. But couple of things might be worth mentioning. I have two punch-and-die sets (one round and one hexaconal) - expencive but worth every dollar. The other thing is the Microbrushes (http://www.micromark.com/fine-microbrushes-pkg-of-30,8375.html). Those are disposable things but can be re-used quite many times (with PVA just wash it right after the use and with CA dry it to a paper towel after applying the glue). Brilliant things.

Tappi

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 01:34:31 PM »
I enjoyed peeping at your work bench!  ;D

Can please show your punch sets? I'm very curious ....
Cheers,
Tomek

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »
On the left is the hexacnal set with four sizes and on the right the round one with nine different sizes. The metal base is covered with thick acrylic with the guide holes. It's adviced to use a strip of the material on the other end too betwen the acrylic plate and the base to avoid any chance of getting your punch sticks twisted. Available at Mircomark too and in many other places, usually around 50-60$ pe set (the more you build the cheaper it gets by every punch). Here's one place where to get them: http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/index.php?cPath=21_145&osCsid=84744b007a472b75a38a4ad149d0b3aa. I also suggest the beading tool set - very nice tool when you want to emboss paper or plastic to imitate rivets (first one on the list behind the link).

Tappi