Author Topic: 1/33 P-51D Mustangs  (Read 18473 times)

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 47
    • Dave's Card Creations
Re: 1/33 P-51D Mustangs
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2013, 11:53:16 AM »
and, another Canuck Mustang added...

Mustang Mk.IV (P-51D) #122-39599  BA-U
City of Hamilton of the 424 Auxiliary Squadron of Hamilton Ontario

Available at www.papermodelshop.com

and ecardmodels.com here: http://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/1-33-north-american-p-51d-mustang-city-of-hamilton-paper-model.html

DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 47
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2013, 09:13:09 AM »
P-51D "Expectant" Pilot Frank L Gailer Jr

In the shop now...another Gailer warbird!
This one, a short tail P-51D.

This is the second Gailer Mustang I have released (as suggested by my friend milenio3)
...built and presented to Pilot Frank Gailer himself! 
A full report here (by Gerardo/milenio3): http://cutandfold.info/cutandfoldforum/index.php?topic=281.0

Model is available at www.papermodelshop.com

and here, at ecardmodels.com: http://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/1-33-north-american-p-51d-mustang-expectant-paper-model.html

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 47
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
WOW...I didn't realize it had been so long since I released a P51 kit!

Well, here goes....and ...its a double!

By special request (from my friend Don Boose) a pair of US Army Cavalier Mustang Chase Planes!

What are they you ask?
Well the US Army is a special group of guys in green suits.
And the Cavalier Mustang is a post WW2 modified Mustang aircraft...turned into an "executive luxury business aircraft".

Basically, they took surplus 'Stangs....tore them down, rebuilt them, and added a rear seat, plush interior and luggage compartments.
They also gave them 2000 mile range with wing tip fuel tanks.

The US Army bought some.
Used them as "chase planes" for other experimental projects.
The first one was a Cavalier modified P51D...but the next two were actual Cavalier production F51s.

This kit builds two complete aircraft...the two different styles of Cavalier F51 used by the Army.
They have similar, but different paint schemes.
One has the Cavalier wing tanks and high Tail stablizer.
Display Stand is included too.
(Photo below is a build by Rich Thompson)

Get the kit at www.papermodelshop.com

and here, at ecardmodels: http://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/1-33-f51d-p51d-cavalier-mustang-us-army-chase-planes-paper-model.html

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 47
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2014, 11:01:23 AM »
Howz this then?

Just about ready...Big Beautiful Doll.
I decided to go with an earlier look...an earlier paintscheme.
Not the one everybody is used to seeing.

And I also decided to do a pre-D-Day version, without the Invasion stripes.
To be honest, I'm tired of seeing them on every scale model! lol
And its a loss less work trying to line up graphics on the model.

Anyway...I am just wrapping up the last few details and getting the kit ready.
Got one other release before this one though.

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 47
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2014, 07:39:04 PM »
By special request...
Big Beautiful Doll is in the shop!
Lt.Col. John Landers P51D Mustang...with the 55thFG, and then with the 357th.

at www.papermodelshop.com

and here, at ecardmodels.com: http://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/1-33-north-american-p-51d-mustang-big-beautiful-doll-col-john-landers-paper-model.html

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 47
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2015, 04:19:41 PM »
Another suggestion/request from Gerardo Escobedo...
and another great looking Mustang!!

This is a current flyer...from what I understand, it celebrates the WW2 plane of Major Jack Ilfrey.
Happy Jack's Go Buggy is a bright and colourfully painted Mustang featuring part camo, part bright metal finish.

A great looking plane, and Gerardo has once again done a fine build and created a cool little diorama display.
http://cutandfold.info/cutandfoldforum/index.php?topic=474.0

The model is in the shops now:
at www.papermodelshop.com
and at ecardmodels: http://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/1-33-north-american-p-51d-mustang-happy-jack-s-go-buggy-paper-model.html

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 47
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2015, 02:06:31 PM »
This Mustang has been a long time coming!

It was suggested last year by my friend Ray.
At first, I scoffed at the idea, once I got a look at the complicated paint scheme.
Personally, I didn't like the mish mash of themes...but after working on the kit for some time,
I have grown accustomed to the various WW2 tributes that make up the paint scheme.
(And the history of this aircraft and its owner/pilot make it a lot more interesting.
Please read the follow-up post/article (below) for more information.)

Anyway, I finished this model some time ago, but haven't released it until now.
Waiting on a test build, making a few adjustments, and releasing a few other kits in the meantime.
But now, here it is!

From the 1974 Reno Air Race #33 "Miss Suzi-Q" as flown by owner Ken Burnstine.
(shown prototype built by Gerardo Escobedo)

Available now at www.papermodelshop.com

and here, at ecardmodels.com:  http://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/1-33-north-american-p-51d-mustang-air-race-33-miss-suzi-q-paper-model.html

The story of Ken Burnstine (the owner and pilot of Miss Suzi-Q) is an interesting one.
Edited from three publicly posted articles found online.
Miss Suzi-Q Pilot Ken Burnstine was quite possibly the most colorful character ever to come to Reno Air Races.
Burnstine was a Marine Intel officer who claimed to have been a Marine Aviator (Fighter Pilot), although this is in dispute.
Records indicate that he was never assigned to flight school, never received any training, and never graduated.
He served in the same unit as Lee Harvey Oswald, and was even looked into as part of the greater JFK conspiracy investigation.
He made his fortune selling and transporting armaments to Central/South America.
He started his own charter airline out of Fort Lauderdale (Florida Airways) which he also used to smuggle drugs.
(Many Florida Airways aircraft had crashed and were found to be carrying drugs)
His mansion in Miami was guarded by two African lions, and posted a sign at the gate that said "Trespassers will be eaten".
One of those lions escaped in 1974 and attacked a small child.
Burnstine owned and raced two P-51 Mustangs: N69QF Miss Suzy-Q, and N70QF Miss Foxy Lady.
In spite of his win at the '74 championship at Reno with Suzy Q, he never had much success in the three years he actively raced.
He was known to cut a lot of pylons in Foxy Lady.
The FBI/DEA had been after Burnstine for a number of years, and arrested him late in 1974 ...charged with 15 counts of drug smuggling.
Much of his assets were seized, and he ended up selling N70QF to Gary Levitz in 1976 to help pay for his legal defense.
Burnstine was arrested in December 1974 and charged with drug smuggling...he was convicted in February 1975 and sentenced to seven years in prison.
As part of a plea bargain he became an informant in several drug cases and provided a list of names of drug associates (rumored to include several powerful Florida businessmen and politicians).
He also agreed to testify, if and when others were brought to trial.
The 1976 Mojave race was about a week before a trial, which would be Burnstine's first "star witness" appearance.
Burnstine (with a passenger in the back seat) flew N69QF to Mojave two days prior to racing.
When arriving over Mojave at 10,000 feet, Burnstine requested to come down on the course for a couple of practice laps...more than likely just having fun.
The aircraft was witnessed to do a "roll over in a split-s", make two complete rolls, and then it impacted the ground roughly wings level but at a definite nose-down attitude.
Everyone on race frequency heard Burnstine say "No (pause) Oh no!" as the aircraft was entering it's second roll.
The impact area was spread over the size of a football field.
Because he was a government witness, the FBI took over the investigation from the FAA, treating it as a possible witness tampering.
But results of the examination of the wreckage did not indicate any foul play or sabotage was involved, so the case was closed as unfounded, and the crash was labeled as an accident.
Burnstine's body was too badly damaged for toxicology tests to be performed.
Two pistols (sidearms) were found in the wreckage, and Burnstine's body was found with two shoulder holsters inside his flight suit.

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 47
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2015, 03:11:49 PM »
I've been sitting on these Mustangs for quite some time.
I have nothing else to release at the moment, so why not publish these?...

It was suggested to me last year to look at Mustangs flown by the Chinese Air Forces after WW2.
And I found the research very interesting.

I'm no expert on Chinese history so I'll stick to the basics I have learned from a few websites...
Chinese Civil War between National and Communist sides have raged since the 1920s.
At the end of WW2, Chinese National forces (fighting with the Allies) acquired a great number of surplus aircraft
including dozens of P51 Mustangs.
Most of these aircraft were in serious disrepair from wartime use and parts were simply none existant.
So, many aircraft were canibalized.

My first model represents a P-51D in CNAC/CNAF livery.
I found a wide variety of paint and markings, but the basic look was stripped metal finish with Nationalist idents.
After looking through many vintage photos I settled on one particular aircraft.

Shortly after WW2, as the Communist forces took power once again, and overcame the Nationalist forces,
Mustangs were captured and hastily repainted in PLAAF colours and markings.
Most of these aircraft were already damaged or grounded.
Many were used as nothing more than trophies celebrating the communist victories.
There are still two Mustangs on display in Chinese Air Museums.
One of which is in the Military Museum of the Chinese People's Revolution, in Beijing.
For a second Chinese Mustang, I have recreated that Mustang since there is good collection of reference photos and videos on the internet:

The kits are finished...PDFs are ready.
Once I get all the store stuff ready, I'll post these two models.
Hopefully later today or tomorrow.

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 47
    • Dave's Card Creations

Sporty_SA

• Kudos 0
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2015, 10:43:49 AM »
Hello Dave,

hope your doing well. Love all the color schemes you have on these beauties.

Can i request 1 of my own please ? Mustang Sally... she's a real beaut here in South Africa.. and i would love to build a P51 for mr Menno, and for myself offcorse.

Hope you can help.

Take care

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 47
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2015, 12:14:55 PM »
Not sure when I'll get back to Mustangs.
They, along with many other projects, on hold at the moment.

Still trying to get back and finish my Tutor jet.

Got a lot of other things going on at home right now, not much time for papermodeling.

If you collect some reference photos and email them to me, it would help when I eventually get around to it..
Please keep in mind...large, clear images...and details of artwork and markings.
Maybe some background on the plane too?