Author Topic: We are all artists!  (Read 2235 times)

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
We are all artists!
« on: July 10, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »
Folks, pat yourself on your back, after all, even if you didn't know it, you are all artists!
This NYT article made me chuckle. I searched PM-dot-com and the story has surfaced there few times already.

"JONATHAN BRAND has vivid memories of the moment the engine hoist broke. In an instant, a 500-pound V-8, freshly extracted from the 1969 Ford Mustang he was restoring, fell and pinned him between the floor and wall of his parents’ garage. Remarkably, he was not hurt.
The incident remained ever-present, though. A decade later, Mr. Brand, an artist and sculptor, reimagined the experience of rebuilding that Mustang by rendering a full-scale paper sculpture of the car, including a finely detailed replica of the 302-cubic-inch engine that could have killed him.

On view at the Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum in Ridgefield, Conn., through Sept. 30, Mr. Brand’s life-scale paper Mustang represents a part-time effort that stretched nearly two years.

Working from photos and recollections of his own Mustang, he first made computer drawings of the car’s individual parts using illustration and 3-D modeling programs, and then made printouts on a large-format inkjet printer. He cut, folded and glued the paper sheets together, building them up into larger components, which were finally joined into a finished work of art."

More:
Nothing but a Paper Trail for a Mustang Long Gone
Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum link

I keep asking myself what makes this paper Mustang an art object which deserves such high recognition to be placed in a art museum? But maybe I'm wrong. The backstory of this project is somewhat appealing and gives it some depth. I can imagine for the general public, unaware of paper modeling, something like that maybe be very unusual and fresh (?).  After all who knew you can create a car out of cardstock  ::)

Let me be clear, the concept (except for the scale of course) is really nothing unusual for us. Rino? Pepakura? printing, folding and gluing? Paper modelers have been doing it for decades, some presenting much higher level of craftsmanship; although, I understand it was made intentionally to look like something made of paper.

Cheers,
Tomek

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
Re: We are all artists!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:23:14 PM »
I agree completely.

It not really very unique compared to what we already do.
Its not really that original, since large scale paper and foam board modeling has been around for decades.
And its not very technically accurate considering the tools and the fact that it is life size.

But I think he is the first to model a full size Mustang in paper and that makes him an innovator.

I think the art community is starving for new and interesting things, since the last ten years has been
an all encompassing cloud of digital and CGI art.

Yes the back story makes this interesting.

Is it art? of course it is.  But I think it would probably look cooler in a Car Museum!

DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

milenio3

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
    • Paper Jerry Scale Models
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 12:35:25 PM »
I also agree... there is much more artistry in detailing many of our good old models.

But people is, like you said Dave, looking for something new and for which they would be impressed.

I just came from the Monterrey IPMS modeling event. I took my Halinski Bf 109 T, the Creamer's Dream Mustang and the Old Crow Mustang. I was glad to receive praises... then a friend of mine in Monterrey arrived with a huge Optimus Prime robot from paper-replika.com. And as he built it the same scale Julius designed it, the thing was more than 1 meter in height. Imagine the looks of the people attending the event. An extraordinary impression for all non-paper people (99.9 % of the attendees).

My wife then told me yesterday that for the Austin modeling event in October, I should prepare something to impress. Yeah, my beloved airplanes and all... but then one "impressive" thing.

Maybe I can build a 1:1 P-51.

Just imagine that.
- Gerardo
facebook.com/paperjerry

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 12:46:10 PM »
I have been thinking about building a big plane...a Mustang or Thunderbolt
maybe not 1:1, but something like 1:12?  (That would be almost a metre wingspan! 37")

There are however two real problems...
first is of course the parts and printing size.
I have access to a large format printer, but it could get costly printing on Bristol Board sheets.

The bigger problem is strength...I don't  know if there is enough internal structure
to support the model at that scale.

And...is the model accurate enough, and detailed enough, to enlarge it that much?
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 01:47:26 PM »
I'd like to see that with a couple GIJoes servicing ...
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

cotlet

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 02:56:47 PM »
I'm going to revise my opinion, I think  :o
Everything sparked by reading this piece in Wired. It's not related to paper modeling whatsoever, but discusses such questions what is art, or what make one an artist. Interesting piece, BTW.

Is it art? of course it is.  But I think it would probably look cooler in a Car Museum!
Maybe it wouldn't look cool (or as cool) in a car museum, Dave. The audience make the whole difference.
I must say, I approached this Mustang story from a modeler's perspective. In such light, whatever Brand did is really nothing unusual. We do it (sometimes better) ourselves. But our goal is to create a representation/replica of a physical object and nothing else. I enjoy the craft part of our hobby and I don't aspire to make the viewer think about anything else than the real physical object itself.  Even if a solely viewer of a model is me  ;). You don't expect anything else from a model.
The Mustang in the story is not a model, its purpose is different. Brand's intention creating it was different. I think it's not a mistake that it's 1:1 representation. For its purpose it not supposed to invoke "a model" connotation. Notice the name is not "Ford Mustang 1969", but "One piece at a time" and we have all this back story to it.
I'm sure the viewers of this piece in the museum approach it as art and that makes is art.

The sympathetic communion of minds necessary for art appreciation must be based on mutual concession. The spectator must cultivate the proper attitude for receiving the message, as the artist must know how to impart it.

I can easily imagine myself walking into this paper Mustang in an art museum and having my mind set into "art decoding mode" and not even realizing that as paper modelers we do the same, or sort of ;). As a viewer I make it an art object this time.

Cheers,
Tomek