Author Topic: Paper Weights  (Read 880 times)

herky

• Kudos 2
Paper Weights
« on: November 01, 2013, 03:30:48 PM »
As i buy daves hercs through ecards and print them out i have a question about which card to use.Here in Godzone we are metric and i use 225gsm white smooth board.This i double up when building formers.Seems to work ok.Any better suggestions.I:E what is optimum weight for these large scale aircraft?
thanx

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
Re: Paper Weights
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 03:48:31 PM »
225 g/sm translates to much heavier cardstock or cardboard.
I would say it is more like Business Card stock which is pretty thick and stiff.
Too thick in my opinion for the external parts of any paper model I have built.

Are we talking about internal Formers or external Skins/Parts?

Each builder has their own preferences...so, there are no real rules other than when a part needs
to be a certain thickness to mate with another part or fit into a specific location, etc.
In that case, it doesn't matter what weight of card you use, as long as the final layered thickness
is correct according to the recommendations in the kit.

Best thing is to always know the thickness of the materials you are using.
Add a caliper or micrometer for measuring thickness to your toolkit.

Parts/Skins...
I am using mostly 65lb cardstock, also referred to as "cover" stock
...which according to the Wausau packaging, is 176g/sm

Most of my models are designed with 65lb cardstock in mind.
Thats around .23mm-.25mm thickness
And I usually allow .3mm for tolerances and overlapping thicknesses.

I have used 110lb (199g/sm) cardstock for constructing larger skins,
like the central sections of the C-130 kits, but its not really necessary.

I did use 110lb cardstock for all the large flat panels (armour plate, decking, etc) of my Armoured Car model.
It requires double plus double layer parts to get the scale thickness, so the 110lb card is handy for that.
So, I recommend the thicker card for larger flat parts that would benefit from a little more rigidity.

Problem with anything thicker than 65lb card is it doesn't roll and fold cleanly.

Former/Frames

I think almost all my models that have any internals are designed to be 1mm thickness.
Can't think off the top of my head what is thicker unless it is double or triple layer formers.

My personal preference is to use cereal box card because its free and plentiful.
I glue my printed Former page to one or two layers of cereal box card until I get close to 1mm thickness.

Anything thicker just makes it hard to cut parts out.

I have learned to use formers more loosely. If possible sliding them inside fuselage sections after the
fuselage parts have been assembled. Keeping them snug but not a tight fit, allows easier installation
and avoids the "ribbing" effect that can happen at fuselage seams.  I want the former to hold the parts
in the correct shape, but they don't need to be any more structural than that.

Wing assemblies are a little different because the wing skins need to be stretched tighter, but I still try
to avoid Ribs that are too big.
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!