Author Topic: Highland croft  (Read 6030 times)

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
Highland croft
« on: May 14, 2014, 02:44:35 PM »
Very nice little model from Zippy's Models. Andrew's models have been away from distribution for some years but can be obtained via Papermodelers.com (Downloads/Architecture - login required).

I didn't build this one as designed but made some changes to it. I wanted to have on old grey thatched roof on it with the traditional rock/wire anchoring on it too (the 'chain of pearls' on the roof are stones that hold a wire/rope to hold the roofing in place of strong winds).

Model comes with interior but I fiddled with that too. Biggest modification with the interior is the roof structure I made. Not accurate but gives a hint how these were built. I also built the hearth as a ring of stones, made one fence to separate one of the animal areas fron others, two benches and some kind of shelve. Regular folk museum it is now. Maybe it needs a spinning wheel too.  ;-)

I have an idea to use more Andrews models and create a small Highlandish diorama - ''A croft by the loch''. Will see where I end up with this. Two pictures at this state.

One more thing - it's small just about the length of my thumb.

Tappi

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
Re: Highland croft
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 03:06:38 PM »
That is really outstanding.  Did you do the HO version and shrink it?
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 03:08:53 PM »
Yes I took the HO version and printed two pages on one - 1:100 maybe?

Tappi

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 03:20:36 PM »
I hope he brings back the Stone Barn.  It would go very well with your theme

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 12:05:23 AM »
BTW ... the stone farmhouse is available

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 01:04:09 AM »
That was a fast delivery by Andrew, thanks for heads up Vermin. I got it and I'm good to go. And that barn - was it a two storey with stairs on either end? I remember seeing it somewhere, maybe in the depths of my hard drive...

Tappi

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 09:48:48 AM »
That's the one.  I knew you wanted the farmhouse, so I just had to let you know

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 10:28:38 AM »
what an interesting little model!!
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 10:50:12 AM »
Little, detailed and excellent workmanship.  I'm anxious to see the diorama.

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 12:56:22 PM »
Thanks fellows, I appreciate your attention.  ;-) The idea is to show a three or four generation place in the Highlands. Started in place where lies a middle aged hut ruins and where in the early 19th century folks started first crofting. And so on the estate gets more buildings and... You all can help me with the story if you want.  :-)

Parts for the second building are cut out and extra detail parts designed. More later.

Tappi

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 03:26:09 AM »
I was out of town for a couple of days and got back building yesterday. I got the second croft house done. No major issues and the only hickup I had were duo the heavy weight paper I use. The second croft house comes with an interior too: two fireplaces and a separating wall between the two living quarters. I haven't decided yet what will be the use of this building but when that's done I'll add some furniture and stuff there too. Maybe a workshop or a farm store - own produces and handicraft?

My additions to the kit are the inside cieling planking and the tiles to the fireplaces (on which to burn the fire).

Some additions on the outside too: chimney pots and a remnant of a stone wall on one corner of the building. Looks a bit funny now but it*ll blend to the final landscape I think.

Next one was the simple model from Andrew he named 'The village hold'. I formed it to a pig stall. I lovered the hole structure about a 1/2 cm, built a new thatched roof on it and introduced an alternative way to 'tie down' the roof with logs and fewer stones (stones missing though). Pigs needed some outside area too and based on a picture I found from the internet I made it to represent if it was built with big chunks/plates of slate fetched from the nearby natural deposit. Lifted up standing and dug into the ground they form a natural and nice fence. Fine place for pigs to dine and there's a trough too.

Since the sow has piglets the hog had to move. So I have to build an other outside fenced area for him. But that'll come later when I work the overall scenery.

These are small structures and very delicate when built up. Here's a group photo of them all with a scale reference.

Hope you like what you see.

Tappi