Author Topic: Highland croft  (Read 6035 times)

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
Re: Highland croft
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 09:37:23 AM »
Looking very good.  I was surprised that these weren't part of his 'educational' models
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 01:12:56 AM »
Thank you both Dave and Dave. I have no details on his educational work that was commissioned (I remember him saying that), maybe these are just creations from a different period in his modeling career.

I invited Andrew to look at the thread, he did and in his own words ''was thrilled''. I promised him to open a thread at PM.com too. Today I'm working on the stone barn - results later today. Only thirteen parts but some challenges too like the stairs. No interior on this one but we'll see how I can beef this one up too.

Tappi

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 01:54:45 PM »
Just a quick photo update on the stone barn. Easy build with only one challenge - the stairs. Too small to fold properly at this scale. I managed to get some contour on them but basically they just suck.

On every farm there is a constant need of timber so there has to be a place to store it too and what would be more convenient than the back wall of a barn - out of sight but easily accessible. I made a small roof over the upstairs door too. This is a work in progress so more tomorrow.

Tappi

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 04:17:51 PM »
These buildings look very good.
But they look fairly simple and are not really anything that special.

Thats what you think...until you see their size.
Once you get an understanding of the scale...these become truly amazing models!

I find I have to keep reminding myself of how small these really are.
Your photos do not do the models justice without a scale reference in every photo.

Honestly...I would put a scale reference in each photo.
Just my suggestion.
Keep something handy to slide into each photo.
Something like a scale cube...or a widely recognizable object.
Maybe one of your tools? Scissors, Knife, Glue bottle?
I personally am not a fan of coins as a scale reference unless its a widely recognizable coin like a US Buffalo Nickel or a Lincoln Penny.
North Americans have no idea of the size of a Euro coin or anything foreign. LOL

DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 02:02:13 AM »
I agree Dave. I had a quarter that I used sometimes but now I've lost it. The Humbrol enamel hobby paint jar has been a substitute. I have to look something else from my old coin collection. The only coin from your continent I found is a US half dollar Liberty coin from 1976 (the Kennedy one).  Maybe that would do? Or a metal ruler... so more pics to come with scale reference.

No scale cubes though - I never get those assembled in a clean manner.  :-D

Tappi

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 12:31:06 PM »
I'm amazed - I finished a scale cube after all. Humbrol paint jar as scale ref is so old school and in come the brand new 1'' scale cube and Kennedy Liberty coin (US half dollar).

Tappi

Oliver Bizer

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 18
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 10:40:38 AM »
WOW thats look sooooo good.
The textures great, the build great and.......everthing is great!
Sorry for my english, i come from Germany

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 11:21:05 AM »
Thanks Oliver! Models are by Andrew Snowdon (aka Zippy) so he is to thank for the quality. I just build.  ;-) You can find his models at PM.com download section (architecture). Go and have a look.

Tappi

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 12:03:57 PM »
[copy-paste]Just a quick single photo update of the farmhouse (it's raining and I can't shoot outside). Few alterations to this model too: I gave it a bit more height (for the upstairs spaces really), I also modified and multiplied the roof windows (three in the front and two in the back. Some ivy on the wall and backyard features a paved terrace too. Looks like a country pub doesn't it) With a small bed and breakfast service for random hikers and travelers.[/copy-paste]

Tappi

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 05:16:10 AM »
Andrew promised some of his textures to my use (for some scratch building needs) and while I've been waiting for them I decided to give a try to build some vehicles for the diorama. There's a great collection of 1/100 autos and work vehicles here at Minimodel site http://www.minimodel.cz/. I need practice though, these aren't that good so far but the size is about correct.

First two pictures show a Volkswagen Polo Coupe from 1984 and the fact that I need to tell you that tells everything about the build. Simply shows I must practice a bit more. The other one is a Mini Cooper S Clubman with a Cowley camper, a bit more recognizable combination. Both of these look quite satisfactory when looking at a normal distance so I'll put part of the the blame on close focus photos.

Tappi

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 10:56:06 PM »
I found that Clubman and camper model tonight.  I just shook my head.  I think I could do the Clubman, but the camper with practically no instructions and all those fiddly bits ... not for me

Nice job on that.  Some of those old work trucks would fit in, even if they probably weren't in Great Britain
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet