Author Topic: Copyright infringement might get you jacked!  (Read 670 times)

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
Copyright infringement might get you jacked!
« on: October 16, 2014, 01:20:34 PM »
Just read this story on the Inquisitr.
I assume its real...although you never know any more. lol

But since I like JD, its an interesting story...

Jack Daniel’s Uses The Most Polite Cease And Desist Trademark Letter Of All-Time
Patrick Wensink Receives Really Polite Trademark Letter From Jack Daniels

Author Patrick Wensink is such a big fan of Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey that when commissioning the cover for his novel “Broken Piano For President” he went with a design similar to the whiskey’s bottle.

Unfortunately the book was far too similar to the whiskey makers bottle and a cease and desist trademark violation letter was sent.

While Jack Daniel’s could have sent out a threatening and angry letter as many company’s have done in the past, they instead chose to send what might be the most polite trademark violation letter ever mailed.

The photo shown above displays the back of the novel, while the fonts are slightly different anyone who has laid their eyes on a bottle of Jack should quickly recognize the design, especially around the book and whiskey bottle border design.

In the letter to Wensink the team at Jack Daniel’s explained in very polite terms why they can’t allow him to continue using their trademark, then they offer to help pay for the author to have his books cover redesigned in order to avoid any undue hardship for Patrick Wensink.

Jack Daniel’s goes one step further when they tell the author to let his book sell out rather than pulling it from the shelves, a move that has made the book an instant collectors item on Amazon where it is quickly selling.

Here’s the full letter Jack Daniel’s sent to the author:

DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
Re: Copyright infringement might get you jacked!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »
WOW, this is good branding by JD. Love the story and the fact that this probably turn into a meme it's very clever thinking by them. I love JD, now even more.

Tappi

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 02:24:41 PM »
Frankly, it generates good publicity for both.  Hats off to JD
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Burning Beard

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 6
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 05:09:52 PM »
Occasionally you get a request like this, in most cases it is a simple one off type thing.  Some companies will allow use of their copywritten stuff as long as it is kept reasonable, but don't try it with Disney, lol. 

Anyhoo, here is an address sign I painted for this guy's daughter, or niece of something.  It seems he is a real fan of JD, the worst part was handling the saw blade which was about a 36" diameter, weighed a ton and was very sharp.

Beard