Author Topic: Once again pm.com steps up to support its members...or not?  (Read 1928 times)

Burning Beard

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 6
Re: Once again pm.com steps up to support its members...or not?
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 01:14:48 PM »
This is a pretty strange hobby in that so much is offered for free.  Obviously the correct thing to do is to provide a link to the original site to download a free model, that way if the author has anything to sell the downloader will see that also.  This is what is done on Paper-Replika and Papermau and a few other reputable sites out there that are really just supporting the hobby.

I have repainted a few models over the three or so years since I got into this, but have not put them up for a couple of reasons.  1, it is a lot of work to straighten everything out logically with the fewest number of pages for a proper kit, and 2, I would not do it without the authors permission.  Basically I am just to lazy to do both, so those repaints are mine only, though I have posted pictures of the builds.

Most designers probably realize that their way of doing something can probably be subtly changed to make the build easier.  As my father used to say (about fonts) just because somebody designed it that way doesn't necessarily mean he did it right.  Models are the same way, individual builders change stuff all the time to make it easier or look better or more detailed, that does not give them the right to republish things as their own design.   Changing the name on it does not make it a new design.

Anyhoo, I support you on this one Dave.

Beard

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 01:34:01 PM »
thank you sir...I appreciate the public comments of support.

I think this is the biggest irritant I have with pm.com
Obviously I recognize its tough to take sides, its tough to dole out punishment without a real good reason.
but once in a while, I wish the staff at pm.com would just come out and offer some support or opinion.
instead they often sit back and wait until someone (me) spirals out of control, and then they threaten action.
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 02:32:30 PM »
another couple of hours work...
and 4 hours later I have more results:

The access to the links above has been blocked and material removed, as requested.

part of an email from DepositFiles.com

I also wanted to make note of the fact that after considerable harassment (pms, comments on posts, etc)
Hymak has removed some more model posts from that russia forum.

Loui

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 5
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 09:16:41 PM »
I'm so sorry Dave, i wished i kew what else ican do to helping... im surprise that none of the admin/moderator step in and tell us what to do... got a questions. if i going to report a pirated model or(and) a site/blog who and where should 'we' as a builder notified other than just report to the designer.
because i've been in this hobby a few years now... so i don't know which model are genuinely premium or free. ....

so, how can i (we) help as a builder/member for this beautiful hobby

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 10:07:56 PM »
If you find a pirated model and you know the owner of the model
then I would say the first thing to do is tell the designer/owner.
And see what they want do from there.

Theres no point in doing anything else until that person knows.