Author Topic: Canadian Centurion with 20 Pounder  (Read 21661 times)

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
Re: Canadian Centurion with 20 Pounder
« Reply #209 on: February 08, 2017, 11:31:10 AM »
Thanks Vermin King, but the details sure add time...

I've completed the port side stowage and customized the tow cable for better fitment.  Not sure if it's scale or not but it fits better and I think looks OK.  This model is to be representative of a Centurion, not as my wife keeps saying "One that your Dad will get into"

Returned to completing turret, adding details to approximate full size.  As Dave has pointed out visibility is limited, the card structure causes interference so the turret interior is just for aesthetics.  For those desiring to super-detail the turret I have found the 1/25 Scale Tamiya Centurion Instructions from the web to be a handy reference.  It has a nice section view, illustrates the interior assembly and includes the parts trees to permit copying parts shapes.  I used this to scratch build the turret traverse gearbox.

Must have for anyone building this https://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/30614ml.pdf

Left rear turret skin flap loose to permit turret structure installation, looks like this will be tricky...

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #210 on: February 10, 2017, 08:32:58 AM »
After studying Dave's build pictures I decided to glue the turret rear bustle skins into place while fitting the turret interior to ensure it would fit after skinning.  It works!  I assembled the skins and then carefully worked the structure into place, nothing tore or was stretched badly.  One again Dave's design is easily assembled and not frustrating due to poor fitting parts.  This could have been a real pain but everything just popped together.  Thanks for this great design Dave!

After assembling I applied extra glue to turret front to stabilize barrel trunnion to ensure flatness and strength.

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #211 on: February 10, 2017, 09:39:08 AM »
To be honest, I am not clear on your procedure for assembling the Turret "skin".
I think your concern was getting the internal structure into the "skin"assembly after it is completed?
So you finished the skin assembly after installing the interior?

That under-rear section, with the curved points takes a bit of patience to form and glue into place.
But it does line up quite nicely when pre-formed.
I assembled the entire Turret skin, and then inserted the assembled inner structure.
It drops in easily after everything is assembled.

Regardless of my confusion with your explanation, you appear to have accomplished the task with much finesse.
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #212 on: February 10, 2017, 10:04:57 AM »
Sorry for the confusion, yes I was concerned about getting the structure into the completed skin.  Thought that I might have to skin after structure install, which would be a pain.  I did it the same as you did..."I assembled the entire Turret skin, and then inserted the assembled inner structure.  It drops in easily after everything is assembled."

As I assembled the skin I kept test fitting the structure to be sure I wasn't trapped out.  After gluing the last skin piece into place I was confident it would pop in.

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #213 on: March 10, 2017, 04:22:46 PM »
Made the turret spacer ring from laminated layers of 1mm paper.  Hardened side with thin CA then gave it a quick touch to the belt sander.  If you don't CA it before taking to the sander it will delaminate into a mess, yes experience speaking again. 

Glued into place to turret bottom.  My turret basket outer diameter was a little larger than the turret ring inside diameter.   

This results in some distortion which is only visible with turret removed from hull.  I re-made turret rings to increase ID but this is limited by the turret structure ID.

I was going to re-size the turret basket but decided as Dave says "visibility is limited" and you won't see the slightly warped basket anyway.

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #214 on: March 27, 2017, 07:55:20 PM »
Completed installation of "Oddment" or stowage bins to turret.  Modified supporting angles to simulate full size brackets which only mount to turret with spacers.  They appear to only provide a "shelf" to support the bin.

Pretty big gaps between the turret and the bin which Dave simulates with thick paper strips.

Forward port side bin has two angle brackets with two bolts each.  The aft port bin doesn't have any angles supporting it.

Large starboard bin has two angle brackets - one bracket with four bolts and another with two bolts.

View from side of starboard bin

View looking forward of starboard bin

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #215 on: March 27, 2017, 10:07:57 PM »
Completed the turret front doubler with deflector bar.  Tricky part to make with the curved deflector bar.  Thought that I was going to have to scrap it and start over, but with the use of two pieces of music wire was able to form and position it fairly well. Applied glue to most of doubler leaving outer edge unglued, then using a scrap piece of card as a shield worked glue up under loose flap with another piece of scrap card. 

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #216 on: March 29, 2017, 10:51:00 PM »
Smoke Grenade Launcher bracket completed.

Smoke Grenade Launcher installed with wiring.  Literally spent hours studying my photos and on internet trying to determine how launcher was wired.  It appears that the wiring entered the launcher boxes from the bottom via a drip loop.  Flexible conduit may in fact be clipped to bracket and then run out to box bottom as opposed to how I installed mine.  I don't have any photos showing correct routing to boxes.

Pictures from internet - note large opening in bottom for wiring.

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #217 on: March 29, 2017, 11:21:55 PM »
Nice detective work there
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #218 on: March 31, 2017, 10:34:45 PM »
Thanks Vermin King, but it doesn't end here...  It didn't look right from an engineering aspect to have the conduit and flexible cable end unsupported.  So I returned to my photos and with more detective work think I've got it figured out.  Not that anyone else really cares but I was curious about the wiring and I enjoyed trying to solve the puzzle.  It seems that most of the tanks on display around the world are missing either the wiring or the grenade launchers, those that have both don't have them wired up.  Found great pictures of a centurion with the brackets and launchers but all the wiring was hanging down in strands...

So I had to redo my first cable run which took less time to do than type about it. 

Completed second side.  Including picture sequence of how I fake the cable ends using a grab tag which is trimmed off after positioning.

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #219 on: April 01, 2017, 07:03:19 PM »
Communications Cable reel installed with cable run to Commanders position.  Commander's Cupola glued into place and a handle added to hatch.

CFB Borden

Internet