Author Topic: Canadian Centurion with 20 Pounder  (Read 19962 times)

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
Re: Canadian Centurion with 20 Pounder
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 10:45:34 PM »
Actually, one of Dave's models was the first one I did with join strips.  Since then, I've seen them many models.
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 08:58:43 AM »
Oh, it's a glue strip that I didn't cut out...LOL  I've been doing overlapping joints, didn't even think of doing a butt joint with a glue strip.  Thanks for the suggestions and highlighting the error.

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 09:04:39 AM »
you got it!

I just started a thread in the Tips/Tricks area about joiners.
http://cutandfold.info/cutandfoldforum/index.php?topic=508.0
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »

I've remade the air cleaner canisters using glue strips properly and aligned covers as per photos found on web.  I added a additional bottom ring just below the top cover to stiffen and provide a better cylindrical shape than I was able to get previously.

Worked on Aux Gen engine changing the oil filler tube a little, I'm really tempted to add spark plugs and leads to detail it out.

Started on main engine pulleys using internal glue strip with line centered on outer strip seam.  As Dave designed and has explained,  it makes a better part with a good glue surface for the pulley end cover.

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 03:37:19 PM »
I apologize for not recognizing who you were (in your emails) Doug.
Its tough keeping track of everybody all the time...on two forums...and all the customers
...and with too many projects on the go! LOL

Anyway, things seem to be going fine for you.

On the topic of the Aux. Engine...
I struggled with the details, finally settling on a simplified approach to the entire engine bay.
The entire tank model is a "keep it simple" approach.

But the aux. engine was a bit of a problem
...first, finding some good reference photos (which I did eventually find at a later date)
...and then deciding how much to simplify the look and details.

And then I found a Centurion where the entire aux.engine was covered...in some sort of casing or cover.
It became the perfect option to simplify the need for details.
And thats what I based my design on.

So, I don't think you can really see any of the detail items, like spark plug leads, etc.
Just thought I would mention it.

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2015, 01:53:28 PM »
I've been busy with home improvements lately, just added a concrete patio with wall and waterfall feature.  Arranged for contractors but as homeowner you wind up being the general contractor herding cats...

I have decided to leave additional detailing of aux engine until later, if ever.  I've gotten main engine completed and after taking photos I see some areas needing color touchup.  Tricky parts included the exhaust manifolds and valve covers.  Trying to get smooth curved surfaces with square straight sides is a challenge. 

Added drivers compartment to hull and started to laminate skins to hull.  I have been printing incrementally and have run into problem with colors shifting.  Fortunately I discovered this before too many exterior parts were printed or installed.  I found that Dave also ran into this problem when printing at different times.  I have printed many test samples using Foxit reader "snapshot" while adjusting colors but can't get the proper Bronze Green color.  I suspect my CYM ink cartridge is low on yellow since I am getting a strong shift to grey.  Ordered new cartridges and will print all exterior color sheets together.

Edit: Full Size Meteor Engine photos from Oshawa Museum added

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2015, 03:22:04 PM »
small issue I better let you know about (rather than later)
...I think the "exhaust manifolds" are inside out and backwards (? I could be wrong, but...)

Once the engine bay is complete, you can't see the exhaust pipes, way under the top plate of the hull.
I did include a short pipe that you can attach to the back end of the manifolds (thats what that dark area is).
But you might not want that dark spot located at the front of the engine.

yes, depending on the number of prints you do, the level of your inks and the difference in cardstocks,
you can end up with slightly different colours.

but to be honest, these tanks were pretty sloppily painted...and touched up here and there.
so a few surface colour mismatches would probably add to the realism. lol

This is the Canadian Cent. (first model)...it is not bronze green like a Brit tank.
I based the colour on a tank sitting on display here in Ontario, and it is a faded green...somewhat grayed out.
I'm sure at one point it might have been a similar green to the Brit tanks.

(The above photo appears to be more yellow than the real thing. The result of taking photos on that maple colour desk.)
On my screen, this photo(below) is a lot more like the model sitting on my shelf...
but i don't know what it will look like to you (on your screen)

If you can alter the colour during printing to suit your own taste, then please do.
But if you are struggling to get a bronze green, and don't know why it isn't working...this is why.

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2015, 04:17:15 AM »
Thanks once again Dave!  Yes, my exhaust manifolds are switched around, I'll see if I can fix them with some paint.  I have your development / build log up on my PC monitor as I build and I studied the same photo of the engine bay to orient the manifolds.  I got turned around somehow...

Understanding that the color is more a weathered grey olive helps, my Dad refers to the color as "Olive Drab".  Color accuracy on monitors and printers is a challenging science in itself.  So, I'll be content with the color from new printer cartridges and yes, some shifts in colour could be more realistic.

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2015, 07:38:55 PM »
Finally have had some time to install new printer ink cartridges.  You can see the shift back from grey to the proper faded olive grey.  What a relief, so I'm printing all the olive sheets at once and placing under a lightly weighted flat surface to minimize warping from humidity.

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2015, 08:04:45 PM »
oh, wow! now I see your problem.
Yes, that does look like an ink problem.
LOL
Glad to see you figured that out.

just got your email about the 50cal. MG.

Let me go check photos....

[muzak playing]

[tiny bubbles....]

[more muzak]

okay...your question eludes me.
seriously, I don't know what the question is! lol
not trying to be rude.

correct me if I am wrong...you are asking about the 50 cal that sits on top of the turret (at commanders station)?
you are asking or suggesting that the artwork for the main part (body?) of the gun is a "mirror image"?
Do you mean each side? is a mirror image?

No...its not.
(I apologize if I am not getting your point.)

You suggest a "posted image" shows a mirrored part for the MG.
I don't know what posted image that is...or why it would show that?
(If we are talking about the same thing)

heres a screen grab, from the Canadian Centurion model kit PDF.

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2015, 11:08:17 PM »
oh, I see what you want now.

You don't like the "left handed Machine Gun"?
You want the right hand version?

hehe obviously I made an error...somehow the MG artwork got reversed.
The gun is left handed now...bolt is on the wrong side.

I betchya nobody else would have ever noticed. lol

I will have to do up an error PDF...make it a downloadable update.