Author Topic: Canadian Centurion with 20 Pounder  (Read 21662 times)

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
Re: Canadian Centurion with 20 Pounder
« Reply #220 on: April 10, 2017, 05:40:42 PM »
Turret detailing has finished...I added a few extra details and changed some of the parts from Dave's design.

Centurion is almost done, just need to attach side skirts and make about 8 or so feet of treads...

Hatches closed

Hatches opened

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #221 on: April 10, 2017, 05:51:24 PM »
wowzers!
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Burning Beard

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 6
« Reply #222 on: April 10, 2017, 07:37:41 PM »
That is pretty gul dern inspiring.

Beard

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #223 on: April 10, 2017, 10:28:55 PM »
Absolutely stunning.  Will you be having an open house when it is done?
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #224 on: April 11, 2017, 01:29:55 PM »
Thanks for the compliments!  We'll have to think about an open house to see my one paper model...I'll be taking it to Toronto at some point so maybe up there, too.

Attached one side skirt to test approach using super magnets from discarded Sonicare toothbrushes and small steel washers.  Seems Ok but I'll have to see if the skirts warp and need more attach points.  Front fender strap that provides front mounting bolt hole somehow got mis-positioned.

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #225 on: April 14, 2017, 05:29:53 PM »
Scratch built the gun cradle which is typically used when transporting the tank.

Full size from CFB Borden: Note elongated cutout in gun cradle body.

Photos from Oshawa showing slightly different Gun Cradle with a round opening in lower gun cradle body...

Running out of excuses now, looks like I've got to start working on the treads, ugh!

wag

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 3
« Reply #226 on: April 14, 2017, 08:18:10 PM »
I subscribe to the tank museum's youtube channel and look what they posted today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOmEOIt-nvY
Wayne

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #227 on: April 14, 2017, 08:58:48 PM »
Wag, thanks very much for link to the Centurion video!  The narrator sounds quite impressed with the Centurion.

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #228 on: April 16, 2017, 08:43:58 AM »
Another great Tank Museum video (there are a lot!).
In the Tank world, David Fletcher is very well known...and knows his stuff.
I communicated with David while working on Little Willie, and he gave me an opinion on the painted colour of the vehicle.
(Little Willie used to be painted a dark green at the Tank Museum, I have postcard photos of it on display in the 1970s...
and based on some vintage photos, I supposed it was freshly painted green when it was presented to the media and public in 1916...David didn't agree.
I was going to reissue the kit in green...but David explained that the Museum had just used army green paint that was in common supply at the time.
Even the battleship gray paint on it now, is done more for protection, and not any accurate representation of its original appearance.)

I took photos of the Centurion and its Gun Cradle (at Oshawa) while designing the model
with plans to add it to the kit.
I forgot all about it...and then changed my mind at the completion of the design.
(It appears on so few Tanks in photos, that I decided it was not an integral accessory. And I was too lazy to go back and add it! lol)

Its good to see you adding another detail.

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #229 on: April 16, 2017, 12:44:15 PM »
Sorry Dave, I believe that the Gun Cradle was a standard part of the tank and always used when transporting the tank to protect the gun control mechanisms.  I have many pictures of Centurions some taken in person and from the web all of which show the gun cradle.  I've only seen one Centurion with the cradle missing and it is one of the Centurions in CFB Borden which has the mounting obviously torch cut off the hull, no idea why it would have been removed.  If you were so inclined it would be nice added upgrade part...

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #230 on: April 16, 2017, 01:17:51 PM »
I used that Aussie site for most of my reference material, and their Cents didn't have 'em.
Thats my story.
Maybe Aussies always keep their guns at the ready...they don't holster them, like Canadians.