Author Topic: Canadian Centurion with 20 Pounder  (Read 21663 times)

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
Re: Canadian Centurion with 20 Pounder
« Reply #231 on: April 19, 2017, 07:33:11 PM »
Got bored making treads, and thought that the rear hull vent could look better than just printed venting.  I had beefed up the rear with 1 mm card and was really concerned about trying to remove the printed vents.  After making venting the view down showed the white inside too well so had the make the lower vent louvers per full size.  Photos show the dry fitted parts with some details yet to be installed and a bit of straightening required.

Note the varying thicknesses of the vent webs and center web welded cover plate.

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #232 on: May 03, 2017, 11:27:16 AM »
Progressing on first approx. 3 foot tread.

Folding little crosses into teeth and gluing to tread strip.  Tweezers and fine tapered pliers that match the tooth profile really helps.  Large square pliers used to squeeze teeth tabs to tread strip.

Teeth all in place.

I glued tread strips into a continuous strip and incrementally pulled spacer tool through tread using masking tape tab.  Gluing outer plates into place being careful to not glue overlapping tabs to permit tread to hinge.

Sprockets and wheels have not been glued into place.  Front tread adjuster arm is also just fitted to permit pivoting to tighten tread as required.  I think that I will make tread into continuous loop and fit to tank with the sprockets.  I need to play with the tread fitment some more to determine my preferred approach.  Dave fitted tread and joined in place which might be easiest.

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #233 on: May 03, 2017, 01:10:34 PM »
Looking good.  I hope you aren't affected by the flooding that's around
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #234 on: May 03, 2017, 01:58:40 PM »
Thank you, Vermin King.  We haven't been affected by the flooding here thanks to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers "Wichita-Valley Center Floodway", "The Big Ditch" built in the 1950's.

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #235 on: May 03, 2017, 06:30:58 PM »
I've been playing with the tread fitting to determine how many links will be required.  It looks like I'll need 108 links and a slight tensioning from the front adjuster which according to my Shop Manual is accurate for a new tread.  Since the return rollers are glued into place I have no option but threading the tread on and joining in place.  Plus with the tread finished it becomes quite thick and probably would be a very awkward job to fit in one piece. 

Yes, this is a real publication...

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #236 on: May 03, 2017, 09:56:26 PM »
The "fake" Haynes manuals are very common.
They even make them for Thunderbirds vehicles!

Yes, fitting the Tracks would be difficult fully assembled.

For some reason I seem to remember 105 links in the tracks, but maybe that was what I ended up with (instead of the 108)?

I tried tightening the Track...putting tension on it...but the paper parts started to bend and buckle under the strain.
They just aren't strong enough to do that.
I found it necessary to adjust the length of the Track so that it just fits and is slightly long...and loose, when fitted.
This also makes it easier to make that final connection.
And this seems to be acceptable compared to many photos that show a slight sag at the front of the Track.
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #237 on: May 05, 2017, 11:56:55 AM »
Vermin King, I should have asked if you were affected by the flooding.  I certainly hope not.

Dave, the Haynes Manual is pretty good with Centurion history, detail information on the MK3 and some 9 pages explaining routine maintenance checks with photographs.  Including track inspection and adjustment.  You are right, it's not a true shop manual like they publish for bikes and cars.

Also, it appears that Col Filtness' website "steel-thunder.tripod.com" and "http://centurion-mbt.tripod.com/ is up with many links and great photos.  There is also a link to more photos and videos at http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii115/Steel-thunder/

His other two sites centurion-mbt-one and centurion-mbt-two are closed not sure if the content was just moved or what has happened.

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #238 on: May 05, 2017, 03:08:29 PM »
I got by okay, though my trip to my folks was a bit 'iffy'.  I didn't expect it to be raining hard enough that the ditches overflowed the shoulders and highway.  During that 6-mile stretch, I had my eyes open for good places to pull over in case things got worse.  As quickly as it turned from a rainy drive to possibly needing to wait things out, I got a new appreciation for people that sometimes have no choice but to pull into water on the roadway.  I still think most of them are idiots, but I can see how you might get into a position where you have no choice.

Do the tracks finish up the model?

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #239 on: May 07, 2017, 10:21:31 AM »
Also, it appears that Col Filtness' website "steel-thunder.tripod.com" and "http://centurion-mbt.tripod.com/ is up with many links and great photos.  There is also a link to more photos and videos at http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii115/Steel-thunder/

His other two sites centurion-mbt-one and centurion-mbt-two are closed not sure if the content was just moved or what has happened.

Unfortunately Part Two is one of about 8 or 9 older sites that Colin had put up over the years.

It seems like a new site was created every time there was more to add.
It had something to do with his CD compilations which you could order from him.

Most of what is documented is Viet Nam ware era stuff.
The big 63 page site (at synthasite.com,) which appears to have completely disappeared, contained much of these original sites
but was mostly comprised of Centurion restoration photos. (Museum tanks and Private projects).

Last time I spoke to Col, he was still in hospital and had not moved into his new residence.
I sent him a package which he says never arrived.
Not sure how well he was doing after that, and just before the synthasite went down.
Sadly, I am too scared to ask now.

Back to the Tracks!!
LOL
having fun yet?!
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #240 on: May 08, 2017, 01:55:51 PM »
Vermin King, yes water on the road/highway can be treacherous.  Completing the treads finishes the model as designed.  I'm thinking about maybe adding some interior hull details based upon the Tamiya 1/25 scale Cent.  We'll see how I feel after the tread enduro...

Dave, yes, I'd be concerned about Col Filtness too, I would have loved to see the restoration photos.  As far as the treads go, Fun WOW!  I'm off to Toronto for a whirlwind visit to see parents, dragging a Cent without treads up for it's second visit.

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #241 on: May 23, 2017, 09:35:30 AM »
You weren't in Toronto for Victoria Day, were you?