Author Topic: Canadian Centurion with 20 Pounder  (Read 19961 times)

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
Re: Canadian Centurion with 20 Pounder
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2015, 10:39:55 PM »
Completed the "special" right handed Browning 50 cal for the top turret mount.  (For others reading this, this gun is per the real thing with a right hand cocking lever - joking about it being special)   Made rolled paper barrel with tube through gun receiver assembly as Dave designed.   Probably the hardest part to make so far, pretty tricky to get a small diameter straight tube consisting of three separate layers with opposing seams. 

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2015, 10:55:42 PM »
Wow, that looks really good
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2015, 11:33:20 PM »
Thanks Vermin King!

Burning Beard

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 6
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2015, 06:01:16 PM »
I think that one is the 30 cal.

Beard

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2015, 06:20:00 PM »
LOL right...another error on my part, calling this a 50cal.
(It even says 30cal in the kit, and obviously I can't read my own stuff)

The coaxial gun is a 50cal on the Mk.V.
But this Turret Gun is a 30cal.
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2015, 10:10:02 PM »
Sorry, I started this whole 50 cal thing when I contacted Dave about it.

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2015, 11:13:20 PM »
well, as long as you don't do it again, you can stay.

Kevin WS

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 6
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2015, 02:07:00 AM »
RCav,

Well done.

A professional build, plus an excellent build thread. You put others to shame.

Your discussion of tools and methods that you have triggered and illustrated is especially eye opening.

I may well have a go - very tempted but was uncertain how to do one if these until now.

And Dave - your input makes this thread invaluable!

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2015, 01:16:53 PM »
Kevin, thanks for the compliments.  I'm very much a rookie at this, pictures make the parts look better than they are.  I'm working to improve the quality of my parts.

I've been using a cool tool suggested by Burning Beard.  It gets poor reviews on Amazon because when new the sharp spiral tracks and follower pin jam in the retracted position

It can be dismantled to reset punch.  After a couple times it becomes very smooth to use.

Check out this set of holes in 30 cal Commanders Gun.  It makes a difficult part even harder...

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2015, 01:52:11 PM »
hahaha are you nuts?!

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2015, 02:09:37 PM »
Dave, yes I must be nuts.  I wanted to become familiar with punch usage and placement, plus need to punch holes to free up unit.  It would be cool to have a perforated cooling jacket, eh?  Maybe later.  BTW, talking to my Dad this morning, his recollection is that he had a 50 Browning Commanders gun with right hand cocking :) and double hand grips and a 30 coax.  He's not sure what Mark Centurion though. 

Working on my second attempt at a hull, first wound up a little bit short due to humidity induced warpage of main keel.  The parts had noticeable waviness which made rear compartment just a little short.  It's just paper so lets try again using a different approach to improve on Dave's self fixturing assembly.  By using interior components the alignment can be improved.  Interior parts were dry fitted to permit alignment and gluing of bulkheads, then they were glued into place. 

Below turret deck plate laminated to 1 mm thickness and stiffeners the same thickness and depth as center keel added to stiffen floor and provide positive square alignment of adjacent "B" and "C" bulkheads.

To ensure alignment of bulkheads "C" and "D" I assembled engine compartment leaving center unglued to permit aligning of bulkheads and later gluing to keel.  Width of keel is important due to engine sliding over it.

Assembled rear compartment to ensure correct positioning of "E" and "F" aft bulkheads.  They attach to end of keel and sides but this is where my last hull went bad.  Compounding errors through hull left aft compartment too short. In this manner I can be sure of alignment from the reference Bulkhead "B" Keel junction.

I drew pencil lines on hull sides to make Dave's grey shading easier for me to see.  This is to ensure the bulkheads are straight since they too are warping.   

Starting hull assembly with keel and first bulkhead, then added one hull side.

Added other side and placed floor into position.

Moving back to next bulkhead using engine compartment for additional alignment.

Bottom of engine compartment provides nice access for later gluing of keel.

OK, will the radiators fit properly?  Dry fitting proves it works and fit of rad hinges is correct.  On first hull I couldn't get proper alignment of rad hinge brackets to rear bulkhead assembly.

Now I'm happy with hull geometry! I fitted Drivers Compartment before adding front hull plate "A', this permits flexing keel to slide it in.

Placement of Drivers Instruments was a problem for me on first hull, made it easier this time by bending edge to permit gluing to Drivers Compartment side and spacing it to permit gluing top to Front Hull plate.