Author Topic: Canadian Centurion with 20 Pounder  (Read 19959 times)

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
Re: Canadian Centurion with 20 Pounder
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2015, 02:29:59 PM »
Fitting that little instrument panel cluster was a pain for me too.
It just sort of hangs in there...

and you can't even see it at the end of the build!
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2015, 07:34:35 PM »
I have discovered that my Canon Inkjet printer when set to "borderless" printing introduces a stretching of the image by default.  Not a big deal, you would think, except that it stretches more on the image length than the width.  I thought my first hull was assembled poorly resulting in the hull "skins" not fitting the hull structure.  Re-assembling and taking much more care improved things but resulted in a similar problem.  I used Foxit PDF Reader in comment mode to measure the PDF image blue frame which as designed is 8 inches by 10.5 inches and ran some prints to discover distortion being introduced.  Turns out there is a greyed out adjustment for the "Amount of Extension" which can be used to eliminate the stretch.  I've never used "borderless" printing and had no understanding of what it was doing.  No wonder nothing would fit, since part of the hull is oriented lengthwise and others are across the page, while the hull "skins" are oriented lengthwise.  After completing my third hull (Yes Dave I must be nuts!) I have found the second hull wound up 7 mm too long to designed size and skins too long to hull by 2mm.  What a joke!  It looks like some of the interior parts can be salvaged while others are too large and will be remade.   

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2015, 08:03:15 PM »
Most photo printers today have a borderless option.
Its the same as printing with no "margin".
Some printers leave a small border, some will print photos right to the edge of the paper.

It works in conjunction with other settings though,
so you still may have a "fit to page", or some other scaling option, in effect.
And that is what is causing the distortion factor.

I am so sorry you are having so much trouble with this.
The demand for models on A4 page is what lead me to construct A4/Letter size compatible pages.
The only way around the borderless printing is to print the pages "as is" on A4 or larger cardstock.
But when you are home printing, you may not have that option.

Can you purchase A4 cardstock?...because your printer will handle it.

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2015, 11:59:17 AM »
Thanks Dave for the suggestion to use A4 size paper.  I have already reprinted all pages on 8.5X11 letter size paper and carefully measured your blue border to confirm elimination of any stretching.

Completed hull structure for third time adding 1mm spacers to hull font and below interior decking to help me keep things square and true.  Rebuilt drivers compartment cutting detail parts off of compartment skin and replacing with new skin.  I didn't remake parts since the slight stretching isn't noticeable and doesn't create any interference with other parts.  I've mocked up the engine compartment parts and transmission to check for interferences with engine covers.  Yes, I've gotten freaked out about the fitting of parts.  Measuring everything to ensure fit.

Completed hull decking and drivers hatch lamination, touched up with custom mix of craft watercolors.

Just of few drops of green into about a quarter ounce of grey is very close to the tone of my print color, could be lightened a bit but works in recessed areas well.  Looks like the tank hull color without sun fading.   

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2015, 12:17:30 PM »
Completed Tranmission and Engine covers to permit fit check of engine and hull side skins.  Created my own sequence to build covers after first disaster.  Cut out cover parts and used a neutral grey Faber Castel Cold Grey IV #233 marker to cover white edges.  I didn't color inside of cover frame parts until after gluing since the moisture in the marker will distort parts when used over large portions of parts.  Glued stiffeners to lower cover skin using two rulers to ensure straightness, plastic ruler has bevel edge to minimize gluing ruler to part...

Built frame on top cover to ensure alignment. On my first attempt I built the frame then tried to glue covers to it, I couldn't maintain alignment of four sides without making a fixture so this approach is easier (for me)

Colored inside of parts before gluing corners so I could flex parts for coloring.

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2015, 12:41:03 PM »
wow. precise work.

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2015, 10:40:00 PM »
Thanks Dave, I must once again compliment you on this impressive design.  The more I work on it, the more impressed I am with your design skills!

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2015, 11:14:51 AM »
My hull skins required trimming and the engine / transmission covers were too tight a fit.  After consulting with Dave, I have added an extra layer of 0.5 mm cardstock to outer hull side pieces to increase width.

Vernier caliper is tilted for photo, not how I took measurement...

Started adding skins which have required only very slight trimming.  Upper deck and covers just sitting in place to see how they fit.

Added more, as Dave has designed, detail to rear deck transmission cover.

I finally making progress after low ink color problems and scaling printing problems caused me to scrap two hulls and many sub-assemblies.  I've got a pile of failed parts to show at end of project. :)

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2015, 11:17:38 AM »
Looking good there.  I suppose you can display it on a pile of 'destroyed' tanks...
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2015, 11:48:01 PM »
Great idea, Vermin King, I'm certainly accumulating a pile of surplus mangled parts!  Latest pictures show my interior component fit check, nothing is glued into place yet.  Even though some parts are a little out of scale they appear to fit with each other and under the engine/transmission covers.

I had to resort to using plain paper for carb to air filter tubes since I couldn't get the 65 lbs paper to roll cleanly.

Adding hinges to rear covers, making hinges was entertaining, my wife was counting my successful ones and wanting a running total.  Finally got ten done over a few days of spare time...yield was about 50 % made more debris for final picture.

Touch up paint looks pretty bad in pics but is not very noticeable in normal lighting.

Edit: added full size pictures

I placed bumper back into position for photo.

Rcav8tr2

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2015, 10:39:50 PM »
Making some of the exterior rear bulkhead detail parts.

Working on the rear upper hull gun traverse bumpers.  Yes, they are kinda bluish.  Should be a darker grey simulating a rubber bumper.  I have some ideas to fix the color

edit: added full size pictures