Author Topic: 2015 KoolWheelz Photo Challenge - VOTE HERE  (Read 1985 times)

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 46
    • Dave's Card Creations
2015 KoolWheelz Photo Challenge - VOTE HERE
« on: June 03, 2015, 09:31:30 AM »
All of the Photo entries are gathered below.
Each entry is allowed up to two photos (per entry).
Please consider either photo (or both) when voting for your favorite.

Voting Guidelines:
Choose one of the choices in the Poll shown above.
(Poll is only visible to registered members of the forum)

Please do not vote for the model!  Vote for your favorite Photo.
As explained in the original Challenge Rules, this contest is all about a unique and/or interesting presentation.
There are obviously some great skills at work, and the models presented here are excellent examples of scale paper modeling.
But its almost impossible to fairly judge any model from a photograph.
Try not to judge the entries on build quality or skill level.
Please judge on presentation, creativity, and the visual entertainment of the photo.

The challenge rules only asked for models to be presented in an "interesting and creative way".
Kit bashes, Dioramas, location shots and backdrop displays are therefore all acceptable components.

Voting closes June 12 (actually June 13 midday)
A Prize Package will be awarded to the winner ...details in the original Challenge thread:
http://cutandfold.info/cutandfoldforum/index.php?topic=506.0

Please vote for the modeller you would like to win (based on either of their Photo(s) below).
Comments are most welcome in this thread.

VinceM (Rover/Shuttle)
photo #1 NASA/Starfleet Display (Diorama) featuring a modified KoolWheelz Lunar Rover and Galileo Shuttle models.

VinceM (Rover/Shuttle)
photo #2 as above - different angle

Tapcho (Weinermobile)
photo#1 KoolWheelz Oscar Mayer Weinermobile in a Wok

Papermate (Moon Mixer)
photo#1 heavily modified KoolWheelz Amazing Moon Mixer model displayed with miniature Revell model box.

kacrut (BKGOW)
photo #1 BKGOW Mk.II  "kit bashed" KoolWheelz Optimus Prime Marmon Truck

kacrut (BKGOW)

milenio3 (Batwing)
photo #1 KoolWheelz Batwing model with shadow and emblem

milenio3 (Batwing)
photo #2 as above - "in flight" angle

chunder (Mad Max - first entry)
photo #1 "Mad Max goes shopping" diorama display

chunder (Mad Max - first entry)

chunder (Hippo Bus - second entry)
photo #1 KoolWheelz Hippo Bus on a real beach/seaside display.

chunder (Hippo Bus - second entry)
photo #2 KoolWheelz Hippo Bus "in the water" scenic shot.

Vermin King (Snake/Mongoose)
photo #1 KoolWheelz Snake and Mongoose models displayed side by side

Vermin King (Snake/Mongoose)

Vermin King (Budweiser Hitch Team)
photo #1 KoolWheelz Budweiser Hitch tream Wagon montage against Grants farm photo backdrop.

Vermin King (Budweiser Hitch Team)

paperengineer (F1 Racer)
photo #1 KoolWheelz F1 Racer out on the real tarmac.

paperengineer (F1 Racer)

Choose one of the choices in the Poll shown at the start of this post.
(Poll is only visible to registered members of the forum)
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Kevin WS

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 6
Re: 2015 KoolWheelz Photo Challenge - VOTE HERE
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 02:42:57 PM »
I am suprised there there are so few entries.......... Would have thought there would have been far more.

My excuse is that I only picked up very late on the competition!

Two models I must say I enjoyed (in the spirit of creativity) are the hippo (all at sea!) and the Wienerwagon hurtling around the Wok!

The last reminded me strongly of the old Walls of Death, and this then led to thoughts of undercooked Weiner's..........,. And the Wall of Death. And ..................!

Burning Beard

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 4
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 08:14:37 PM »
I like the presentation of the Weinermobile.  When I saw that, it just made me chuckle, very clever.

Beard

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 46
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 01:10:15 PM »
Just visiting?
Like what you see?
Want to help us a pick a winner by casting your own vote?

Then why not sign up?
You must be a registered member of the forum to see the Voting Poll (at the beginning of this thread)
and to cast a vote for your favorite.

Rgeistration is very easy, and completely free.
A user name and vaild email address are all that is required.
Your private information is never shared with anyone.
Membership data is strictly for forum purposes and is never revealed to other members.

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 46
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 05:23:10 PM »
woohoo!
30 minutes to go!
I know you are all watching with antici---------pation!

any last voters?!

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 46
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 06:58:15 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS CHUNDER!

The masses have spoken.
All nineteen of those masses!
HIPPO BUS AT THE BEACH
has been voted the favorite KoolWheelz Challenge image!

I have to say, all great entries...but I was also most impressed with the Hippo Bus pics.

Tell us Chunder, how long did she stay afloat?! lol

I wish we had received more votes...by more members...to be a little more fair to the other contenders
but I don't think anyone will argue that Chunder's entry was indeed imaginative and creative.

Chunder, I have a small prize pack waiting to be mailed to you.
If you could contact me in private PM or Email, and give me your mailing address, please.

For the rest of you, I hope you had fun with the KoolWheelz models
and I hope you enjoy your exclusive KoolWheelz Scale Cube.
I have decided not to make it public...not enough people showed up.
I deem only the KoolWheelz Challenge entrants are worthy.

I reserved my comments until this thing was over...
so now I would like to say a few words about each entry.

Vince...your Star trek NASA diorama is amazing. I especially loved the use of foam as a moonscape.
If your photos had been a bit better quality, it would have been a much closer race.
But your whole presentation was very well thought out. Thank you for doing a great honour with my models.

Papermate...what can I say. I don't think anyone will argue that yours is the best build, hands down.
From what I can see in the photo, your model deserves to be in a proper contest, up against plastic kits and such.
Some amazing modifications to such a small and simple model. Thank you.

Tapcho...yours made me laugh the most, and had my vote (until the Hippo Bus came along).
Very creative. Thank you.

Kacrut...your entry also made laugh and smile and then I spent way too long trying to figure out what model
parts you used!  What an amazing kit bash.  Once again, I think if you had been a bit more creative with your
photo...maybe posed the model outdoors in the sand or with a Mad Max background? Still, a great entry. Thank you.

Milenio...your work, is always clean and perfect.  And the bat signal shadow is just perfect too!  I wish i could afford
to give everyone a reward. Thank you for your entry Gerardo.

Chunder...the Madmax car and building backdrop are flawless. An excellent display. But the plain background
killed the effect (for me). This one might have been a contender if it wasn't for that. Still...thank you!

Vermin...perfect builds. I have no criticisms or suggestions. You honored me by building the Bud Hitch Team. One of
my favorite designs.  Thank you for all you do around here.

and paperengineer...who just squeaked in at the last minute. And I am so glad you did.  I think your build of my F1 racer
is pretty good. I especially like your idea to photograph the model on a real roadway.  But you better find some smoother
pavement next time...or build a jeep instead!  LOL  Thank for your entry.

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 09:56:08 PM »
I pretty much echo Dave's sentiments and review. The imagination and creativity shown leave my rather straight builds in the dust.  To do the kitbash of the semi and Papermate's extraordinary treatment of the Mixer left me in awe.  I really liked the moon photos.  But the Hippo in the surf had my vote from the moment I saw it.  I'd like to see this as a larger contest in the future with multiple categories.  Ideas for a future contest would be welcome.

Dave, I pretty much had to do the 1903 Studebaker.  Actually, I don't think your model is based on the original gift from Uncle Auggie to Adolphus, but they all have a similar appearance.  We had planned on doing a trip to Grant's Farm with my girlfriend, her daughter-in-law, and her four kids, but Kathy's son got stationed in California, so the trip had to be cancelled.  If you aren't familiar with Grant's Farm, it is on the Busch Estate.  At the heart of the park is the Bauernhof, which used to house the horses and carriage house.  It now is a carriage museum and biergarten (guess which brand they serve).  I was looking for a background of the Bauernhof and found this old postcard of the entrance.  That worked.  I also wanted to find drivers and the dalmation which I added. Several of my favorite vacations as a child and later with my child included a stop here.  I really enjoyed the journey through history researching this and was my obvious choice from the time the contest was announced. 

I hope everyone else enjoyed participating, and I also wish to congratulate the winner.  Thank you, Chunder, for bringing a smile to my face every time I see that photo.
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Loui

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 5
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 11:52:43 PM »
Congratz!! To Chunder awesome backgrond, superb build...and it float too lol.

To Dave... Thanks for all awesomes koolwheelzz kits... i use 3 of your model, lunar model,  a bit of the munster, rommels rod... but the tetris and the space invader are adds for fun haha.

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 01:31:22 AM »
Congratulations to Chunder! Nice competition, I enjoyed. Next time I'll build something new, this was just a new photo contest for me. Let's have these regularly.

Tappi

Papermate

• Kudos 0
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2015, 02:51:33 AM »
Congrats to the winner.  Well deserved for his creativity.  Yeah, I would love to know how long did it last to stay afloat in the water.

chunder

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 3
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 03:42:20 AM »
Woohoo thanks guys,

Thanks to all that entered, there was 2 or 3 that if we had a lot more voting could have given the hippo a run for the win.

Thanks to all that voted, not just for the hippo but for all entries. without voters it is not a true competition.

A very big thanks to Dave for holding the competition, I know the numbers were lower than we would like but hopefully we can build it up from here.   

The bus was made in 2 halves, & 4 coats of sealer were applied. Then a block of polystyrene was glued into the lower half for buoyancy. The top & bottom were glued together, grabbed  a few self drilling screws & the camera, off to the beach we go.

Mother nature & working away from home made a simple job of taking a few pix a very stressful task, but we got there, a few quick pix of the Hippo on the sand then a few screws in the bottom to act as ballast & a keel & the rest as they say is history.

No Hippos were hurt in this photo shoot,  (except for a few screws up his bum) he is proudly sitting up on the shelf.

Bruce
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again (Henry Ford)