Author Topic: Hello from Nevada  (Read 558 times)

nevadablue

• Kudos 0
Hello from Nevada
« on: January 24, 2016, 11:19:28 PM »
Hi all, thanks for having me. I'm an old retired miner and mechanic and am building models as a passtime. I like little railroads and work in Gn15 and 1:24 scale mostly. I've only built one paper model machine, a J3 Cub.

I added quite a few of my own touches to it including big tires and the clear windows. My modeling is in the 1937 era, so that cub is a bit early, but fits with my unlimited modeling license.  ;D The plane is built from a downloaded and then printed kit.

I have built a few buildings, this one is the first paper one. It is copied loosely from a filling station that my wife's grandfather had in the '30s. The building is all scratch built, made of foam core and printed overlays.

Here is the prototype, with my wife's grandfather posing in the picture.

Ken

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
Re: Hello from Nevada
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 09:00:43 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Ken.  I like the station very much.  I was thinking of doing one of the station my great grandfather used to have.  It is very similar, but was in the point of a Y-intersection of two roads, so not quite as square.  Always glad to see historical things remembered in paper
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 09:28:22 AM »

Nice to have you here.
Excellent photos.
Always glad to see good photos.

That looks like a Fiddlers Green model (Cub)...?

And I love the old photo of the Gas Station.
Good work on the model too.
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

nevadablue

• Kudos 0
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 08:05:23 PM »
Thanks guys!
I like the old stuff too. My parents were married in 1937, so that's my modeling era. I get to recreate what I think it may have been like for them.
Yes, that's the Fiddler's Green Cub. I built an engine to replace the paper one. The cylinders are made from the flexible part of a flexible drinking straw.
Ken

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 08:45:42 AM »
Clever idea to use the flexible part of the straw - when it fis the scale. Good to see you here so welcome.

Tappi