Author Topic: March (2016)  (Read 2285 times)

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
March (2016)
« on: March 01, 2016, 02:24:59 PM »
March 1, 1925 First Regularly Scheduled Airline Passenger Service

... from the collection of Craig Morris

Ryan Airlines began the first regularly-scheduled passenger airline service flown within the mainland United States. The airline connected San Diego and Los Angeles, the two largest cities in southern California.

These photographs from the collection of the San Diego Air and Space Museum show opening day activities at Dutch Flats, near the current intersection of Midway Drive and Barnett Avenue, in the city of San Diego.
...This Day in Aviation

Pretty important deal here, but I couldn't even find the name given the aircraft or a model of it.  Any help would be appreciated.

On the other hand, I learned a great deal about T.C. Ryan and his various ventures.  Must have been a very interesting character.

Coincidentally, two years later this story was published in the San Diego Union, March 1, 1927

The thrilling and fascinating spectacle of a San Diego-built plane, piloted by a famous army and air mail aviator, racing across the Atlantic Ocean . . .  will be witnessed this summer.  A contract for the construction of a monoplane for his proposed New York to Paris non-stop flight was awarded to the Ryan Aircraft Company of this city yesterday by Capt. Charles A. Lindbergh.

So not wanting to leave you without a model, we'll do the Canon Spirit of St. Louis again, http://cp.c-ij.com/jp/contents/CNT-0011915/index.html
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
Re: March (2016)
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 01:21:56 PM »
March 2, 1904 Dr. Seuss Born

On this day in 1904, Theodor Geisel, better known to the world as Dr. Seuss, the author and illustrator of such beloved children’s books as “The Cat in the Hat” and “Green Eggs and Ham,” is born in Springfield, Massachusetts. Geisel, who used his middle name (which was also his mother’s maiden name) as his pen name, wrote 48 books–including some for adults–that have sold well over 200 million copies and been translated into multiple languages. Dr. Seuss books are known for their whimsical rhymes and quirky characters, which have names like the Lorax and the Sneetches and live in places like Hooterville.

Geisel, who was born on March 2, 1904, in Springfield, Massachusetts, graduated from Dartmouth College, where he was editor of the school’s humor magazine, and studied at Oxford University. There he met Helen Palmer, his first wife and the person who encouraged him to become a professional illustrator. Back in America, Geisel worked as a cartoonist for a variety of magazines and in advertising.

The first children’s book that Geisel wrote and illustrated, “And to Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street,” was rejected by over two dozen publishers before making it into print in 1937. Geisel’s first bestseller, “The Cat in the Hat,” was published in 1957. The story of a mischievous cat in a tall striped hat came about after his publisher asked him to produce a book using 220 new-reader vocabulary words that could serve as an entertaining alternative to the school reading primers children found boring.

Other Dr. Seuss classics include “Yertle the Turtle,” “If I Ran the Circus,” “Fox in Socks” and “One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.”

Some Dr. Seuss books tackled serious themes. “The Butter Battle Book” (1984) was about the arms buildup and nuclear war threat during Ronald Reagan’s presidency. “Lorax” (1971) dealt with the environment.

Many Dr. Seuss books have been adapted for television and film, including “How the Grinch Stole Christmas!” and “Horton Hears a Who!” In 1990, Geisel published a book for adults titled “Oh, the Places You’ll Go” that became a hugely popular graduation gift for high school and college students.

Geisel, who lived and worked in an old observatory in La Jolla, California, known as “The Tower,” died September 24, 1991, at age 87.
...History.com

At one time there was a Cat's Hat out there on the net, but I was unable to find a link to it today.  So let's go with Phil's Green Eggs and Ham, http://sitekreator.com/thewoodengraver61/freepapertoys.html.  Click the link for Download Toys, and it is on the second page (right next to the Guiness bottle)

yukonjohn

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 5
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 03:27:00 PM »
March 1, 1925 First Regularly Scheduled Airline Passenger Service

Pretty important deal here, but I couldn't even find the name given the aircraft or a model of it.  Any help would be appreciated.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Airline_Company:
... Service was provided by a Standard J-1, a World War I training aircraft (not widely liked by pilots) which they modified with a four-passenger closed cabin in the forward front cockpit area. ...
and a picture of the modified J-1 on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_J

Hope this is useful.

Regards,
John

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 06:35:16 PM »
It's certainly an odd looking plane.  Thanks for the info

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 04:40:31 PM »
March 3, 1920 Scotty's Birthday

Yes, he's Canadian. One of only a couple well-known actors who took part in D-Day.  I used that picture, since it shows part of the aftermath of Juno Beach.  After shooting two snipers, he led his men through mines to a position of higher ground.  Going between command posts, he was shot six times by a Canadian sniper, which among other things resulted in the amputation of his middle finger.  Something I never noticed until I was reading about him.

He then went on to pilot school.

So today's model is an Auster AOP, unfortunately not in RCAF colors, http://happyscale-modellbau.blogspot.com/2015/01/british-taylorcraft-auster-raf.html

Why?  Because his most severe reprimand in the service was when he slalomed one between telegraph poles to prove he could...

He will be missed.

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 01:36:11 PM »
March 4, 1493 Columbus Arrives in Lisbon

Explorer Christopher Columbus arrives back in Lisbon, Portugal, aboard his ship Niña from his voyage to what is now The Bahamas and other islands in the Caribbean.
...ThisDayinUSMilitaryHistory

I was about to go to the archives, since nothing was jumping out at me today, when I saw this.

For the model, I'm going with the Fiddlers Green Nina.  This looks good enough, I might have to pick it up.
http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/miscellanous/La-Nina.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2016, 02:03:20 PM »
March 5, 1962 Operation Heat Rise

Two Convair B-58 Hustler supersonic bombers from the 65th Bombardment Squadron, 43rd Bombardment Wing, Carswell Air Force Base, Texas, took off at sunrise and headed west to Los Angeles, California. Off the Pacific coast they refueled from a Boeing KC-135A Stratotanker, then headed east at maximum speed. They were to enter a radar starting gate at Los Angeles, but the radar did not pick them up so they returned to the tanker, topped off the fuel tanks again, then proceeded east once again. This time their entry was visually confirmed.

Both B-58s had been assigned a block altitude of Flight Level 250 to Flight Level 500 (between 25,000 and 50,000 feet (7,620 to 15,240 meters) by the FAA and all other aircraft were cleared from those altitudes along the course. The flight outbound from Los Angeles was at 50,000 feet (15,240 meters) at speeds above Mach 2.

Under normal conditions, the maximum speed of the B-58 was limited to a skin temperature of 115 °C., to prevent the aluminum honeycomb skin panels from delaminating. For this speed run, Convair engineers had authorized a temperature of 125 °C., which would allow the two bombers to exceed 1,400 miles per hour (2,253 kilometers per hour). Sensors were placed in the skin to monitor the temperature rise (which gave the operation is name: “Heat Rise”).

The first B-58, call sign “Tall Man Five Five,” had a problem with the navigation radar and had some difficulty locating their tanker, but finally were able to. The B-58s descended to 25,000 feet over Kansas for the third refueling and over a 21-minute period, took on 85,000 gallons (321,760 liters) of fuel, climbed back to 45,000 feet (13,716 meters) then continued on to New York.

The Cowtown Hustler crossed the radar gate at New York with an elapsed time of 2:00:58.71 for the West-to-East flight, averaging 1,214.65 miles per hour (1,954.79 kilometers per hour). The second B-58, Tall Man Five Six, was one minute behind.

Passing New York, the two B-58 Hustlers proceeded over the Atlantic Ocean and rendezvoused with tankers for a fourth aerial refueling, then headed back west to Los Angeles. Shortly after passing New York, Tall Man Five Six developed mechanical troubles and had to withdraw from the round-trip record attempt.

Once again over Kansas, Cowtown Hustler refueled for a fourth time then continued back to Los Angeles. The East-to-West leg from New York to Los Angeles was completed in an elapsed time of 2:15:50.08, averaging 1,081.81 miles per hour (1,741.00 kilometers per hour).

The total elapsed time, Los Angeles–New York–Los Angeles, was 4 hours, 41 minutes, 14.98 seconds (4:41:14.98)  for an average speed of 1,044.97 miles per hour (1,681.71 kilometers per hour) The crew and the airplane established three National Aeronautic Association speed records for Speed Over A Recognized Course.

At Los Angeles the crew, Captain Robert G. Sowers, Pilot, Captain Robert MacDonald, Navigator, and Captain John T. Walton, were congratulated by General Thomas S. Power, Chief of Staff, Strategic Air Command, and each airman was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.

For the eastbound transcontinental flight, the crew won the Bendix Trophy, and for “the most meritorious flight of the year,” they were also awarded the MacKay Trophy. Their records still stand.

Reportedly, the U.S. Air Force received more than 10,000 damage claims for windows that were broken by the sonic booms created by the two B-58 Hustlers as they flew across the country.

Today, the record-setting, trophy-winning airplane, Convair B-58A-10-CF 59-2458, the Cowtown Hustler, is on display at the National Museum of the United States Air Force, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio.
...This Day in Aviation

Not that I'm pushing Dayton, Ohio-related paper models ...

You can get a Convair B-58 Hustler at https://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/1-32-b-58-hustler.html

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 46
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 05:18:54 PM »
Love the entry for Jimmy Doohan!

That Hustler is amazing to see (at the USAF Museum).
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2016, 05:27:03 PM »
I'm planning on seeing it.  I almost think I need to make a list of aircraft there that matches posts here.  Nah.

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 05:47:28 PM »
March 6, 1475 Michelangelo Buonarroti Born

Michelangelo Buonarroti, the greatest of the Italian Renaissance artists, is born in the small village of Caprese on March 6, 1475. The son of a government administrator, he grew up in Florence, a center of the early Renaissance movement, and became an artist’s apprentice at age 13. Demonstrating obvious talent, he was taken under the wing of Lorenzo de’ Medici, the ruler of the Florentine republic and a great patron of the arts. For two years beginning in 1490, he lived in the Medici palace, where he was a student of the sculptor Bertoldo di Giovanni and studied the Medici art collection, which included ancient Roman statuary.

With the expulsion of the Medici family from Florence in 1494, Michelangelo traveled to Bologna and Rome, where he was commissioned to do several works. His most important early work was the Pieta (1498), a sculpture based on a traditional type of devotional image that showed the body of Christ in the lap of the Virgin Mary. Demonstrating masterful technical skill, he extracted the two perfectly balanced figures of the Pieta from a single block of marble.

With the success of the Pieta, the artist was commissioned to sculpt a monumental statue of the biblical character David for the Florence cathedral. The 17-foot statue, produced in the classical style, demonstrates the artist’s exhaustive knowledge of human anatomy and form. In the work, David is shown watching the approach of his foe Goliath, with every muscle tensed and a pose suggesting impending movement. Upon the completion of David in 1504, Michelangelo’s reputation was firmly established.

That year, he agreed to paint a mural for the Florence city hall to rest alongside one being painted by Leonardo da Vinci, another leading Renaissance artist and an influence on Michelangelo. These murals, which depicted military scenes, have not survived. In 1505, he began work on a planned group of 12 marble apostles for the Florence cathedral but abandoned the project when he was commissioned to design and sculpt a massive tomb for Pope Julius II in Saint Peter’s Basilica in Rome. There were to have been 40 sculptures made for the tomb, but the pope soon ran out of funds for the project, and Michelangelo left Rome.

In 1508, he was called back to Rome to paint the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel–the chief consecrated space in the Vatican. Michelangelo’s epic ceiling frescoes, which took several years to complete, are among his most memorable works. Central in a complex system of decoration featuring numerous figures are nine panels devoted to biblical world history. The most famous of these is The Creation of Adam, a painting in which the arms of God and Adam are outstretched toward each other.

In 1512, Michelangelo completed the Sistine Chapel ceiling and returned to his work on Pope Julius II’s tomb. He eventually completed a total of just three statues for the tomb, which was eventually placed in the church of San Pietro in Vincoli. The most notable of the three is Moses (1513-15), a majestic statue made from a block of marble regarded as unmalleable by other sculptors. In Moses, as in David, Michelangelo infused the stone with a powerful sense of tension and movement.

Having revolutionized European sculpture and painting, Michelangelo turned to architecture in the latter half of his life. His first major architectural achievement was the Medici chapel in the Church of San Lorenzo in Florence, built to house the tombs of the two young Medici family heirs who had recently died. The chapel, which he worked on until 1534, featured many innovative architectural forms based on classical models. The Laurentian Library, which he built as an annex to the same church, is notable for its stair-hall, known as the ricetto, which is regarded as the first instance of mannerism as an architectural style. Mannerism, a successor to the Renaissance artistic movement, subverted harmonious classical forms in favor of expressiveness.

In 1534, Michelangelo left Florence for the last time and traveled to Rome, where he would work and live for the rest of his life. That year saw his painting of the The Last Judgment on a wall above the altar in the Sistine Chapel for Pope Paul III. The massive painting depicts Christ’s damnation of sinners and blessing of the virtuous, and is regarded as a masterpiece of early mannerism. During the last three decades of his life, Michelangelo lent his talents to the design of numerous monuments and buildings for Rome, which the pope and city leaders were determined to restore to the grandeur of its ancient past. The Capitoline Square and the dome of St. Peter’s, designed by Michelangelo but not completed in his lifetime, remain two of Rome’s most famous visual landmarks.

Michelangelo worked until his death in 1564 at the age of 88. In addition to his major artistic works, he produced numerous other sculptures, frescoes, architectural designs, and drawings, many of which are unfinished and some of which are lost. He was also an accomplished poet, and some 300 of his poems are preserved. In his lifetime, he was celebrated as Europe’s greatest living artist, and today he is held up as one of the greatest artists of all time, as exalted in the visual arts as William Shakespeare is in literature or Ludwig van Beethoven is in music.
... History.com

There are parts of that narrative that do not match with what I learned in the past (I was under the impression he was the son of a small banker, i.e.), but he was quite a remarkable man who is not well remembered in the paper model community.  Many of you are familiar with J Ossorio.  It would be wonderful if he did some of his little models of the Pieta, Moses and David.  I could see Mauther doing one of his pop-ups of the Sistine Chapel.  Tatebanko versions of some of his paintings would be cool.  Or PaperPino could do some of his Christmas ornament globes of some of his paintings.

But since these don't exist, we will go with Canon's model of St. Peter's, http://cp.c-ij.com/jp/contents/CNT-0011409/index.html

Even though the dome wasn't completed until after his death, the lower sections and securing rings were done prior.  I'm not sure if the tour guide was correct, but she stated that the previous architect's design for the dome was deemed 'unsupportive', and would have led to the collapse of the whole structure.  Michelangelo's design is still standing to this day.  And most of the Western end of St. Peter's still shows Michelangelo's design for the structure.

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 09:22:05 PM »
March 7, 1999 Stanley Kubrick Dies

On March 7, 1999, American filmmaker Stanley Kubrick dies in Hertfordshire, England, at the age of 70. One of the most acclaimed film directors of the 20th century, Kubrick's 13 feature films explored the dark side of human nature.

Of his many acclaimed films, one stands out as far as paper model inspiration:  2001: A Space Odyssey.  A quick search will generate models of space planes, space stations, lunar landers, and even the monolith and apes, and mustn't forget Gary Pillsworth's moonbus.  I am going to point you to the spaceplane (also by Gary) at Lower Hudson Valley.

You can find it at http://jleslie48.com/gallery_models_scifi.html.

Consider this a 'two birds with one stone' situation because you can also find a model from Dr. Strangelove (another Kubrick film) on the same page.