Author Topic: March (2016)  (Read 2272 times)

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
Re: March (2016)
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2016, 01:15:17 PM »
March 19, 1955 Bruce Willis Born

And I'm going with Dave's Fifth Element Cab today, http://davesdesigns.ca/cutandfold/html/starcarz.html
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2016, 03:26:19 PM »
March 20, 1433 Henry V Becomes King of England

King Henry IV, the first English monarch of the Lancastrian dynasty, dies after years of illness, and his eldest son, Henry, ascends to the English throne.

In 1399, Henry Bolingbroke was crowned King Henry IV of England following the forced abdication of King Richard II, who was greatly weakened by internal conflicts stemming from his quarrels with Parliament. In later years, Henry IV was a chronic invalid, and his son Henry presided over the king’s royal council. Young Henry also led armies against Owen Glendower and the Welsh rebels, and figured largely in the English victory over the Welsh at the Battle of Shrewdsbury.

After his ascendance to the throne in March 1413, the main effort of King Henry V’s reign was his claim, through his great-grandfather Edward III, to the French crown. In 1415, Henry invaded France and won a stunning victory against great odds at the Battle of Agincourt in northern France. By 1419, Normandy was again under English control, and in 1420 the Perpetual Peace of Troyes was concluded, under which Henry married Catherine of Valois, the daughter of King Charles VI of France, and was recognized as regent of France and heir to the French throne. His triumph, however, was short-lived. During a siege of Melun and Meaux, his ill health grew worse, and in August 1422 Henry died of camp fever at Vincennes.
...History.com

Darn, I was afraid of that.  Zio's site is no longer able to be accessed through Wayback Machine.  Ye Olde Robots.txt.

He did have Henry V in the Agincourt soldiers, so if you already had it downloaded, you can build it.

I'm going to miss Zio...

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2016, 02:43:52 PM »
March 21, 1962 Launch the Bear!

A black bear named “Yogi” was ejected from a supersonic Convair B-58 Hustler to test the B-58’s escape capsule. Ejected at 35,000 feet (10,668 meters) from a B-58 flying at Mach 1.3 (approximately 870 miles per hour/1,400 kilometers per hour), the bear landed unharmed 7 minutes, 49 seconds later.

Previous testing with human subjects had resulted in fatalities so it was decided to continue with animal subjects while problems were resolved. Black bears (Ursus americanus) were used for these tests because their internal organs are arranged similar to humans.

The rocket booster carried the capsule 225 feet (69 meters meters) above the B-58 before beginning its descent.

Regrettably, although the bears survived the ejection tests, they were killed so that their organs could be examined. This would not be acceptable today.
... This Day in Aviation

Okay, not a B-58 ejection capsule, but you could easily rig up a harness for this bear, http://www.town.yakumo.lg.jp/modules/museum/content0040.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2016, 01:22:14 PM »
March 22, 1983 HMMWV Contract Awarded

On this day in 1983, the Pentagon awards a production contract worth more than $1 billion to AM General Corporation to develop 55,000 High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicles (HMMWV). Nicknamed the Humvee and designed to transport troops and cargo, the wide, rugged vehicles entered the spotlight when they were used by the American military during the 1989 invasion of Panama and the Persian Gulf War in the early 1990s.

In 1992, a civilian version of the Humvee, known as the Hummer, went on sale. The hulking, attention-grabbing road warrior tipped the scales at some 10,000 pounds and got less than 10 miles per gallon. It was an early hit with Hollywood celebrities such as Arnold Schwarzenegger, who went on to own a fleet of Hummers. In December 1999, when the economy was strong and gas prices were relatively low, General Motors purchased the rights from AM General to market and distribute the Hummer. In 2002, the Hummer H2, a smaller (some 8,600 pounds), less expensive version of the original model, debuted.

The Hummer became a symbol of America’s super-sized lifestyle; however, the gas-guzzling vehicle was also a target of heavy criticism from environmentalists. According to a 2008 report on Salon.com, in August 2003, “Hummer-hating eco-vandals [struck] four car dealerships in Southern California’s San Gabriel Valley, destroying, defacing and burning dozens of Hummers and other SUVs, while scrawling love notes like ‘Fat, Lazy Americans’ about the premises.”

In 2005, the Hummer H3, an even smaller (5,800 pounds), more fuel-efficient (16 to 20 miles per gallon) vehicle, was released. The following year, GM ended production of the original Hummer, due to low sales. In 2008, as Americans faced a growing economic crisis and rising gas prices, along with increasing environmental concerns, Hummer sales shrunk by more than 50 percent. In December 2008, GM, which was hard hit by the global recession and slumping auto sales, received a multi-billion-dollar federal bailout loan in order to stay afloat. On June 1, 2009, the auto giant, which until 2008 had been the world’s top-selling maker of cars and trucks, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. The following day, GM announced that as part of its reorganization plans it would sell the Hummer brand to a Chinese machinery company.
...History.com

Of course Dave has his Easy-Build Hummer at http://davesdesigns.ca/cutandfold/html/promotional_free_paper_models.html

But my favorite Hummer is Yuthdaw's at http://mypapermodel.blogspot.com.br/2010/01/humvee-military-papercraft.html, if you are looking for one that is a bit more challenging

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2016, 02:04:47 PM »
March 23, 1998 Cameron's Titanic Wins Eleven Oscars

By the time James Cameron took the stage to accept his Academy Award for Best Director on the night of March 23, 1998, the Oscar dominance of his blockbuster film Titanic was all but assured. Titanic tied the record for most Oscar nominations with 14—joining 1950’s All About Eve—and by night’s end would tie with Ben Hur (1959) for most wins by sweeping 11 categories, including the coveted Best Picture.

With Aliens, The Abyss and the first two Terminator movies under his belt, Cameron had already proved himself a master of the action-packed science-fiction blockbuster genre. His ambition reached new heights with Titanic, a retelling of the ill-fated 1912 voyage of the unparalleled passenger steamship, which sank in the North Atlantic after striking an iceberg. Cameron’s films were notorious for going long over schedule and way over budget, and Titanic was worse than most. Originally budgeted at $100 million, the film eventually topped out at about $200 million, more than any other film in history; it also missed its original release date, making the studio executives sweat as they envisioned another Heaven’s Gate (the infamous big-budget flop that sank United Artists in the early 1980s).

Personally, Cameron was known for his dictatorial style, hot temper and obsession with detail. For his reenactment of the historic ship’s sinking, the film’s crew constructed a 775-foot (90 percent scale) replica of the RMS Titanic and put it in a tank containing 17 million gallons of water. Production was done in Mexico, and members of the cast and crew later complained about the harsh conditions, including shooting days of more than 20 hours, much of that time spent standing in cold, murky Pacific Ocean water.

Released just before Christmas in 1997, Titanic became a monster hit and continued to earn steadily at the box office over the next six months until it became the first movie ever to gross more than $1 billion internationally. Critical response to the film was divided. Many reviews were positive, but some critics praised the visual effects and action sequences—especially the last hour of the three-hour-plus movie, which depicts the epic sinking of the luxury liner—even while pointing out the weakness of the screenplay, which Cameron penned himself. In one particularly memorable pan, Kenneth Turan of the Los Angeles Times wrote that the film “reeks of phoniness and lacks even minimal originality.” Cameron famously fired back in a letter to the editor, demanding (unsuccessfully) that the Times “impeach Kenneth Turan.”

On Oscar night, Cameron echoed Leonardo DiCaprio’s character in Titanic by shouting “I’m the king of the world!” upon accepting his Best Director statuette. While accepting Best Picture (as the film’s producer), the filmmaker was slightly more subdued, asking for a moment of silence in remembrance of the more than 1,500 people who drowned on the Titanic.
... History.com

I despised that movie.  Watched it twice, because girls wanted to see it.  Not seeing it again would be fine with me.

You can get Titanic and her sisters at http://www.currell.net/models/mod_free.htm?filter=ship

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 46
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 02:11:55 PM »

I despised that movie.  Watched it twice, because girls wanted to see it.  Not seeing it again would be fine with me.

Totally agree.
Only watched it once.
Give me "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" over that one, any day!

LOL
In fact, I am not a Cameron fan.
I think Terminator was a lucky fluke for him.
Everything he does is derivative, someone else's idea, or literally stolen material.
Even Terminator was a rip off.
(One of my most favorite movie franchises though! lol)
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

wag

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 2
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 04:19:14 PM »
A Night to Remember is a much better movie about the Titanic, even with the 1950's special effects.
Wayne

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2016, 05:46:12 PM »
A Night to Remember is a much better movie about the Titanic, even with the 1950's special effects.
Wayne

Totally agree

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2016, 01:14:06 PM »
March 24, 1930 Steve McQueen Born

Holy Smokes, I didn't realize that he's been dead for over 35 years.

I'm sure you can guess which model I'm going to link to today ...

http://davesdesigns.ca/cutandfold/html/racerz.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2016, 04:59:09 PM »
March 25, 1933  USS Sequoia Becomes Presidential Yacht

On this day in 1933, President Herbert Hoover accepts the newly commissioned USS Sequoia as the official presidential yacht. For 44 years, the Sequoia served as an occasional venue for recreation and official gatherings for eight U.S. presidents.

Before it was commissioned as the presidential yacht in 1933, the Department of Commerce used the Sequoia as a decoy to catch Prohibition law-breakers. President Hoover, though, used the Sequoia to indulge his favorite pastime: fishing. In 1936, Franklin D. Roosevelt chose to use the USS Potomac as his yacht rather than the Sequoia, but during World War II, he and then-Supreme Allied Commander Dwight Eisenhower secretly met on the Sequoia to discuss D-Day invasion plans. Harry Truman entertained visitors with his piano-playing and poker games and John F. Kennedy celebrated his last birthday on the Sequoia. Lyndon B. Johnson allegedly liked to sit on the upper deck and watch movies projected on to the ship’s white smokestack. Both LBJ and Gerald Ford met with Congressional leaders and foreign dignitaries aboard the ship. In a private moment on board the Sequoia in 1974, Richard Nixon told his family that he had decided to resign rather than face impeachment.

When not functioning as the presidential yacht, the USS Sequoia also served as the official vessel of the secretary of the Navy. President Jimmy Carter was the last to use the Sequoia before selling it to a private firm in 1977. President Reagan is said to have considered using the ship on occasion in the 1980s, but never did. The Sequoia has since undergone expensive restoration efforts. She is currently owned by the non-profit Sequoia Foundation and serves as a historic charter vessel on the Potomac River.
... History.com

No model today.  But I wish there was a model of this vessel.  When I visited the Truman Little White House in Key West once, I met a guy who was on the crew trying to determine if the Sequoia could be refurbished or if it should just be scrapped.  Didn't get to go on board, but from the dock, I got to see about as much as one can see without going on board.

There are models of this, but not in paper ...

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2016, 09:12:29 PM »
Getting ready to head out of town for Easter weekend.  Probably back Monday, but maybe Sunday night (but I doubt it)