Author Topic: Mos Eisley Cantina  (Read 1144 times)

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
Mos Eisley Cantina
« on: August 31, 2016, 10:34:05 PM »
Between work and real life, creatively I was about as low on creative juices as one could get by the end of July.  So I started building some little models that I'd been meaning to do for a while.  Started with a mod of Chris Roe's old Humvee look-alike (Genet Models), then Dave's Captain Nemo car, and then the Landspeeder.

The annual Papercuts Awards are during the month of August, so I enlarged the Speeder by 20% to fit in with 30mm figures and added some figures from mrentertainment, www.cardboard-warriors.proboards.com/thread/7068/star-wars-2d-figures, and then some of the Xbox Kinect buildings, www.cardboard-warriors.proboards.com/thread/5781/kinect-star-wars-eisley-buildings

And the project took off from there...

MomirFarooq has some ground tiles that lock together that I modified, and I modified some of the Ghost of Man buildings from the Arid City set

While working on these, Chris from Papierschnitzel designed the Lars Homestead, which I thought of using, but when you do an internet search for Mos Eisley buildings, most of what comes up is the cantina and the actual building that Lucas modified

Oh, yeah, here's the homestead

I'll post a bit later on with the development of the cantina
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
Re: Mos Eisley Cantina
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:56:29 PM »
Oh, what the heck.

Chris asked what he could do to help with the project and I asked him if it would be too much trouble to design a dome with no arches, which he did.  I realized that the building could be broken down into separate structures held together with paperclips and bobby pins.  I did a flat roof 4X6 inch building, 2 1/2 inches tall and one that was 2 1/2 inches tall that I put a double arched roof overlay onto

Next iteration was modifying the dome to have that tall wall on one side and making the one building taller

Looking at many shots of the real building and the screenshots, it became apparent that Lucas built a façade, to have room for it, the 4X6 building needed to be 5X6.  In the original movie there was a slightly shorter wall that splits the terrace.  This was replaced by a building extension in the remake.

Getting there.

If you watch the movie again, the are no direct views of the main entrance.  Knowing that it is a façade, and seeing the geometry of the real building, there's good reason.  You go under the arch and through the inset door, and there might be 3 feet before you hit the real building's wall.

Using this screenshot and doing rough measurements in Gimp, I worked out an approximation of what the front would look like

And I needed to get the Dewback, Jerba and the domed surveillance module built, along with the little black and white arch thingy on the roof

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 11:04:34 PM »

The first dome thing was too small, but the second was much more the thing

Did some additional figures, and put some of the other buildings in to keep from seeing too much off the ground tiles, and this is what I ended up with

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 10:44:11 AM »
I couldn't ask for my Landspeeder to be put in any better display.
Well done.
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Burning Beard

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 6
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 11:01:14 AM »
This is a really neat build.  Was is all inspired by Dave's Landspeeder?

Beard

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 05:21:10 PM »
Yes, Beard, on several different levels, Dave's Landspeeder inspired this build.  As mentioned, I was in a funk, one part of which will never be discussed in an open forum.  But I did a repaint and modification of an existing model as a way to walk a modeler through the steps of my process so he could do it himself.  He hounded me for my modified model and I told him to never mention I did the modification and never post it, and then I spot it on a pirate site.  I am still hacked.

But someone asked me why I hadn't posted anything in a while, and he suggested I look through files I had been meaning to build for a long time.  At the same time there was another discussion of 'iconic' vehicles by Dave.  I finally got Comcast to give me the 'Loyalty Credit' for a movie, for which I chose the latest Star Wars movie.  So I picked his Landspeeder.  In the course of my decision, someone made the comment that they wished Dave's models were in RPG scales.  So I immediately enlarged the Speeder and threw three RPG scaled figures on the page.  Then I started thinking iconic (landspeeder) scenes from the first movie.  The twin suns setting, pulling into Mos Eisley, and at the Cantina when Luke learns he needs to sell the speeder to pay for transport.

When I posted the Mos Eisley diorama with the generic mods of the Ghost of Man Arid City models, someone suggested that I do the cantina.  Talk about an iconic building that has never been properly done (mine is probably as close to an approximation of the exterior set as has been done.  I wish someone with more skill would use this to do the ultimate model).  And there are many screenshots and photos of the actual building that was used.  And it breaks down into a combination of structures that aren't that difficult.

So, Dave's model and Dave's discussions on 'iconic' definitely put me on the path to doing it.  In doing my research, I found three screenshots with the landspeeder parked in front of the cantina, so that is what I had to do.

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 05:50:13 PM »
What does this mean "they wished Dave's models were in RPG scales."

Is there a specific scale?
And why can't the models be rescaled when printing.
Just how big do they need to be?

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2016, 07:00:12 PM »
to be roughly in scale for 28mm to 30mm figures, they need to be roughly 1/53.

Yes, they can enlarge them, but you know a lot of folks are just plain lazy or too lazy to learn how to do it.

I've shown your models several times over there, enlarged.  Several of the members have used your models in games they have shown photos of.  I figured out how to do that years ago, so I wouldn't think it should be that hard for folks

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2016, 07:22:17 PM »
Enlarged?

28mm-30mm figures?  is that height?...because that puts them at about 1/64 - 1/60 scale.

My Landspeeder is 1/31 scale*... already twice the size for your figures.

I am perplexed.

You need to print my Landspeeder at 50% to get your gaming scale.
Its that simple.
Tell them.

Fact - I don't design KoolWheelz models to a specific scale.
I design to fit the entire model onto a single page.
But I also design to be as small as possible, yet still be easy to build.
I do try to NOT go beyond 1/60 scale

*[ KoolWheelz Landspeeder model = 110mm Length.....Actual Landspeeder vehicle is 3.4m (3400mm)...works out to 1/30.9]

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 08:13:05 PM »
I know.

Even though we are used to working with scale, gamers have pseudo scales.  28mm is 28 mm to the eyeline of an average male figure standing erect.  30mm is also eyeline.  Generally speaking I find something on the vehicle that I can judge against the height of a human.  In this case, we know the size of the craft, but knowing that it held Luke, Obi Wan and the two droids, I made it a bit larger to look right.

When OldSchoolDM used your simple Humvees and the Semi in a game, I think it worked out closer to 1/45, but they looked right.

Gamers mess things up with their way of scaling, and sometimes mess themselves up.  They usually want scenery to be 1/55 to 1/60 so it doesn't take up as much space, but then they make an inside of the building and they want it to be 1/45 to 1/50, so they have room.  It's hard to get things right when 'right' is a variable goal and can be different between players

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2016, 09:57:50 PM »
yeah, okay, I get it.
worse than Model Train guys! lol
It kind of makes sense to be forced to use varying scales even though some things end up out of proportion.

But even at that scale (eyeline 28mm)...the Speeder is still a lot bigger in scale.
It still needs to be reduced to stay in scale.

By the way...the Landspeeder was not built big enough to hold Luke, Obi Wan and the two droids.
In fact, it was barely big enough for two adults.
It was lucky that Hamill and Sir Guiness were small adults and could squeeze into the seat.

This pic really shows how small the car was...and very shallow too.
You sat right on the floor.
(Some of the floor is actually airbrushed out (in the film) while editing out the road wheels.
Theres no way this guy driving has any ass!)

As you can see in the next pic, Goldy had to hang off the back of the Speeder, and Artey Toodey just...well...its kind of silly really.
You can also see how tall the vehicle is...its sitting on its wheels.
The top of the rear motor is only waist height....less than 3 feet!