Author Topic: October (2016)  (Read 1231 times)

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
Re: October (2016)
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 11:45:57 AM »
October 12, 1916 Lock Martin Born

Lock Martin, the big guy who was in the Gort suit in the original The Day the Earth Stood Still. Listed at over seven and a half feet tall, Martin had a lot of the health problems often associated with being very tall, including problems with the joints. Moving around in the suit was very difficult for him and carrying another human was out of the question. When Gort carries Patricia Neal in one scene and Michael Rennie in another, the weight of those actors was supported by wires.
... This Day in Sci Fi

You can find the saucer and Gort (at a considerably smaller size than the original suit) at http://www.cutnpastesf.com/models/tdtess/

You can also get Gort's helmet from Dave's helmet collection at http://davesdesigns.ca/cutandfold/html/free_paper_models.html
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2016, 01:55:20 PM »
October 13, 2012 Endeavor Travels Streets of Los Angeles

"Houston, I think we made a wrong turn"

Actually, this is the last trolley ride of the Endeavor while traveling to its last resting place at a museum.  From other photos, the trolley looks like it was designed to spread the weight of the Endeavor (which I am assuming was pretty well gutted), but still that is an awful lot of weight on residential streets.

You can download the Endeavor in its final mission markings at http://www.axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/download5.html#.VDwHnE10yM9

BTW ... Don't they have street lights in LA?

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 10:58:22 AM »
October 14, 1944 Rommel Commits Suicide

On this day in 1944, German Gen. Erwin Rommel, nicknamed "the Desert Fox," is given the option of facing a public trial for treason, as a co-conspirator in the plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler, or taking cyanide. He chooses the latter.

Rommel was born in 1891 in Wurttenberg, Germany, the son of a teacher. Although not descended from military men, the newly unified German empire made it fashionable to choose a military career, which young Rommel did, becoming an officer cadet. During World War I, he showed himself to be a natural leader with unnatural courage, fighting in France, Romania, and Italy. Following the war, he pursued a teaching career in German military academies, writing a textbook, Infantry Attacks, that was well regarded.

At the outbreak of World War II, Rommel was given command of the troops that guarded Hitler's headquarters, a disappointment for a man used to fighting on the front lines with the infantry. But in early 1940, he was given his chance to put to use his gifts, when he was given command of the 7th Panzer Division. Although a novice as far as mechanized forces were concerned, he soon mastered the advantages and proved his leadership abilities again in the German offensive against the French channel coast in May.

In early 1941, Rommel was given control of the troops sent to North Africa to aid Germany's ailing ally, Italy, in maintaining its position in Libya. It is here, in the deserts of North Africa, that Rommel earned his vaunted reputation, as well as his nickname (he became known for his "fox-like" sneak attacks). Winning significant victories against the British, whom he begrudgingly admired, Rommel nevertheless became weary of this theater of operations; he wanted to go back to Europe. It wasn't until a second battle to take el-Alamein in Egypt went against him that the "invincible" general was finally called home back to Europe.

Hitler put Rommel back in northern France, to guard against an Allied invasion. Rommel's suggestions for the precautions necessary to repel an enemy invasion were not heeded, and he began to lose confidence in Hitler and Germany's ability to win the war. When Rommel was approached by friends to agree to head the German government in the event of Hitler's overthrow, he agreed-although there was no explicit talk of assassination, which he found abhorrent.

D-Day was launched, and Rommel's prediction of disaster for Germany's position played itself out. Still, Hitler would not consider negotiations with the Allies. Rommel ended up in the hospital after his car was attacked by British bombers and he was forced off the road. Meanwhile, details of the failed assassination plot had come to Hitler's attention, including Rommel's contact with the conspirators. As Rommel was convalescing in his home at Herrlingen, two generals visited and offered him his choice-trial or suicide. Rommel told his wife and son what had transpired, and that he had chosen to take the cyanide capsules the generals had provided.

The German government gave Rommel a state funeral. His death was attributed to war wounds.
... History.com

Sorry, it's late and I needed something quick, so today's model is Dave's Rommel's Rod (and yes, I know it is fanciful)

You can find it at http://davesdesigns.ca/cutandfold/html/showrodz.html#SHOWRODZ

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 08:36:49 AM »
October 15, 1863  CSS Hunley Sinks Again During Testing

After sinking on August 29, 1863 during tests in Charleston Harbor, killing five of the seven crew members, the Hunley was raised.  In order to get a crew to get on board again, H.L. Hunley joined the next crew on October 15th.  This time it went down with all crew, including Hunley.  It was raised again and later went on to become the first combat submarine to sink an enemy warship.  In so doing, it went down again with all crew lost.  It was raised again in 2000, never to sail again.

You can find the model at http://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=hunley

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 10:37:32 PM »
October 16, 1942 William 'Indian Joe' Bauer Shoots Down Four Aichi Bombers Near Guadalcanal

After successfully leading 26 planes on an over-water ferry flight of more than 600 miles on 16 October, Lt. Col. Bauer, while circling to land his F4F Wildcat, sighted a squadron of enemy planes attacking the U.S.S. McFarland. Undaunted by the formidable opposition and with valor above and beyond the call of duty, he engaged the entire squadron and, although alone and his fuel supply nearly exhausted, fought his plane so brilliantly that 4 of the Japanese planes were destroyed before he was forced down by lack of fuel. His intrepid fighting spirit and distinctive ability as a leader and an airman, exemplified in his splendid record of combat achievement, were vital factors in the successful operations in the South Pacific Area.

Model:    http://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=f4f+wildcat

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 11:27:18 AM »
October 17, 1947 Michael McKean Born

Kind of a tough day on the matching models to an event front.

I have to admit that the tagline on the photo is something I totally agree with. And you may wonder what I picked for the model.  An amplifier that goes to eleven?  No.

Let's pick two for Stonehenge.  You can get a model of Stonehenge at http://www.lookingbackimports.com/lookingbackimports/stonehenge-paper-model-kit-build-it-yourself-ff8081812e3851d2012e453ce58a0544-p.html.

Or if you can find it, you can get the 2009 Album 'Back from the Dead'.  Why?  It has cutouts that pay tribute to this funny moment of the film.

Of course the trilithons are a bit larger than scale compared to the movie shot ... LOL

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 46
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 02:35:59 PM »
Time to get OCD and picky. LOL

A henge is a large "pendulous" stone or monolith or pillar.

I was trying to clarify if the stonehenge pillars were actually monoliths.
I guess they are...but its the arrangement of three stones that is the important element making up Stonehenge.

A "trilithon"...never heard this word before,
is a prehistoric pillar set comprised of two vertical henges (monoliths) supporting a lintel henge.

Apparently "Stonehenge" is not a true "henge" site because it is arranged in a ditch....? lol
I know, its too much for me too.

A plinth is a slab base or sometimes a supporting base for a vase, urn or art object.
A modern plinth is a flat base, like what a speaker's Dais stands on.
My Hi-Fi Speakers came with plinths!

DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2016, 10:59:34 AM »
October 18, 2013  Halloween Filler

Some interesting history for the day, but struck out on appropriate models, but Halloween just being around the corner...

The Flippy Faces characters are a lot of fun.  Howard is the Halloween offering.

You can find him at http://www.flippyfaces.com/FF-Howard.htm

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 11:33:34 AM »

The M1 Garand (officially designated as United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1, later simply called Rifle, Caliber .30, M1, also abbreviated as US Rifle, Cal. .30, M1) is a semi-automatic rifle chambered for the .30-06 Springfield rifle cartridge. It was the first standard-issue semi-automatic rifle. Called "the greatest battle implement ever devised" by General George S. Patton, the Garand officially replaced the bolt-action M1903 Springfield as the standard service rifle of the United States Armed Forces ... Wikipedia

With all of the different weapons available for download, I thought this would be easier.

At the PM.com forum in the downloads, there is a model available of the M1 Garand Barrel, which can be fitted to the M14 stock also available in the Downloads section.  You can find these available in the Downloads at http://www.papermodelers.com/

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 11:23:19 AM »
October 20, 1965 Last Volvo PV

After launching in 1928, the Volvo PV series ended its production run on October 20th, 1965. The final, black-coloured PV 544 G Sport can still be found at the Volvo Museum in Gutenberg.
The PV series remains one of the brand’s most important models, with over 440,000 units. About a third of those were sold outside of Sweden.
... autoslately.com

Okay, this one is for my uncle.  The final PV was black with a red interior.  My uncle had a 1962 PV, black with red interior.

And because these were hardly to be considered as 'attractive', there are no really good paper models of them, but there are a number of papercrafts available at the Hokenstrom site, http://www.hokenstrom.com/cars.html#Volvo_544_series_1959-1965.

And hey, Volvo even had these built for a couple years in Canada.

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2016, 12:07:03 PM »
October 21, 1956 Carrie Fisher Born

Okay, just an excuse for Star Wars models.  I have always liked the models from SF-Papercraft, http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~sf-papercraft/sifi.html

My son's girlfriend's little girl is into Disney Princesses, and I threw this one in, http://movies.disney.com.au/star-wars-princess-leia-papercraft