Author Topic: Question about lamination technique and material ?  (Read 312 times)

Garry Specht

• Kudos 0
Question about lamination technique and material ?
« on: December 21, 2016, 03:00:10 PM »
I've asked a question, but the site wants someone specific to send it to. I don't know anybody at your forums. It won't let me enter "any member" or any other non-specific entity. Help

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 46
    • Dave's Card Creations
Re: Question about lamination technique and material ?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 04:03:01 PM »
Not sure how you are trying to post your question.

On a forum, you just start a "thread" in the appropriate section and ask your question.
So, I have moved your Topic here, to the appropriate section...

now, you can go ahead and ask your question
and we will do our best to give you some answers.

You might want to look around...
in places like the Tips and tricks area http://cutandfold.info/cutandfoldforum/index.php?board=14.0
for helpful advice on various aspects of paper modeling.

I'll try to anticipate your question...

If you are asking about laminating the internal structural parts, this is my method:

I design most of my models with a 1mm thickness (for things like Aircraft Bulkhead formers).
Any thinner and it is too flimsy.
But thicker means its harder to cut out small parts and curves.
1mm is often a good median.

Many European kits use 1mm (or thereabouts) for their Formers,
so there is an established precedent.

I generally use Cereal Box card.
I save empty Cereal Boxes and cut out the flat side panels.

I use Spray Glue (3M Spray 77) to laminate two layers of Cereal Box card.

I also use Poster Board from the Dollar Store.
Its nice and smooth and clean and better quality.
But it also costs money!

I usually print my Former Sheets/Parts on regular weight paper (20-24lb)
but sometimes I'll print on cardstock if I am looking to add more thickness to the final laminated parts.

To laminate cardboard, spray glue each card layer, allow the contact cement to setup (5-10 minutes)
then join the glue faces and roll the sheets with a Roller.
I use an Artist's Brayer.

The goal is, to layer your cardboard, cardstock and/or paper, to the desired thickness.
Check, within the kit you are building, for the recommended thickness of parts before laminating.
As I said, a paper sheet laminated to two layers of cereal box card gives roughly 1mm thickness.

DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Garry Specht

• Kudos 0
Re: Question about lamination technique and material ?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 01:58:58 PM »
Thank you, Dave for a quick and informative reply to my question. As a new member, I am unfamiliar with the way this forum functions. I am a volunteer with the Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada here in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I have been tasked with the building of 8 Cl-41  Tudor paper aircraft models for an upcoming exhibit. I am familiar with building with balsa, plastic and foam. This is my first foray into building paper models. I was wanting information about techniques, glues, and paper thicknesses that work best for your members. The information you provided, as well as determined in reading other posts, has been a big help in starting out. For example, I would not have thought about a spray-on adhesive for attaching paper to cardstock, cardboard, etc. or the use of an artist's Brayer. I appreciate the help this forum, and you in particular, have provide.  Thank you   G. S.