Author Topic: January (2017)  (Read 2530 times)

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 26
January (2017)
« on: January 02, 2017, 02:06:32 PM »
January 1, 1965  4200th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing Activated

The 4200th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing was activated at Beale Air Force Base, California. The wing operated the Lockheed SR-71A. On 25 January 1966, it was redesignated the 9th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing.
... This Day in Aviation

Ecardmodels took a long time coming up, but here you go, https://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/1-32-lockheed-sr-71-blackbird-paper-model.html
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 26
Re: January (2017)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 02:07:18 PM »
January 2, 1948 Deborah Watling Born

Okay, it is probably sexist, but Doctor Who's success is tied to the companions, who are generally cute.  Virginia Waterfield seems to scream a lot more than some of the other companions, though.

You can find Dave's Tardis at http://davesdesigns.ca/cutandfold/html/specialz.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 26
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 10:00:28 AM »
January 3, 1945 Battle of Bure – Paratroopers v Tiger Tanks

The British 6th Airborne Division had been recalled to England following Normandy. When the Battle of the Bulge broke out they were amongst the reserve troops swiftly brought up to mount the allied counter-attack. In early January the German forces had reached the village of Bure, Belgium, where the tip of their advance came to a halt. The 13th (Lancashire) Parachute Battalion was ordered to attack Bure on the 3rd January.
Major ‘Jack’ Watson recounts how their attack almost failed before it started when they were subjected to devastating fire as they were forming up, when about a third of the force become casualties: 'We marched to a wood which overlooked Bure, our first objective. This was the furthest point in the German offensive to which the German tanks had advanced. Our task was to evict them from Bure.'
... WWII Today

Today's model is Rawen's 1/100 King Tiger at http://prmodels.webnode.cz/products/pzkpwf-vi-tiger-1-100-made-by-rawen/

[Admin] Just to clarify, the model linked appears to be a Tiger, not a King Tiger...and when I tried to download the model, the link appears to be inactive.
Probably best just to hunt around Rawen's site and check out the many other cool models.

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 26
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 11:49:18 AM »
January 4, 1847 U.S. Signs Contract with Colt for Revolvers

On January 4, 1847, the US signed a contract to buy revolvers from Colt’s Patent Firearms Company. Just in time for the Mexican War, where the rapid-firing Colt — the “assault weapon” of its era — would win its spurs in time to be the go-to cavalry weapon of the Civil War.

The 1836 Colt “Paterson” revolver was recognizably a revolver as they still exist today, although there were many improvements ahead. By 1847, the Colt revolver had had many of those improvements and was nearly as advanced as it would get in the percussion, muzzle-loading era.

The 1847 Colt was the legendary Walker, which was not only the most powerful handgun in the world when it was made, but would stay so for eighty or ninety years (cartridge handguns finally had more energy when Smith & Wesson shipped the .357 Magnum, a few years before Smith’s own .44 Mag took that crown.
... http://weaponsman.com/?p=6502

Well, as is often the case in this thread, the exact model that I am looking for is unavailable, i.e. the Walker.  The nearest I was able to find was Trent Henry's 1851 Navy Revolver at https://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/1-1-colt-1851-navy-revolver-paper-model.html

It is pretty dang close, though

Burning Beard

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 5
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 07:58:06 PM »
Since I own both of those guns, I can tell you it aint even close... The Walker is huge compared to the Navy.

Beard

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 26
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 09:19:02 PM »
Sorry

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 26
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 01:04:06 PM »
January 5, 1914  George Reeves Born

I just hadn't realized that he would have been 101 today.  Not going into his death here, but Superman was definitely one of those cases where an actor was so beloved by fans in one role that nothing else was offered.

One of the first paper models I did was the '53 Nash Healey with Clark at the wheel.  You can find the first page here:  http://www.jimnolt.com/nashhealeyP1.htm.  Click on 'page two' to get the second page

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 26
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 11:51:58 AM »
January 6, Norman Reedus Born

Tough couple of days at work here, and nothing really grabbed me, so when I saw that it was Daryl's birthday, I latched onto it.

You can find Daryl's crossbow at http://paperwar.blogspot.com/2013/03/blog-post.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 26
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2017, 08:56:35 AM »
January 7, 1948 Mantell Lost While Chasing UFO

Captain Thomas Francis Mantell Jr., 165th Fighter Squadron, Kentucky Air National Guard, received a request from the control tower at Godman Army Air Field, Fort Knox, Kentucky, to investigate an Unidentified Object visible to the southwest. Mantell led C Flight, four North American F-51D* Mustangs, in pursuit. Two pilots broke off because of low fuel, and Mantell became separated from the other. He reported that he was climbing through 15,000 feet (4,572 meters) with a large metallic object in sight. He then disappeared….

At 1550, the wreckage of his fighter, F-51D-25-NA 44-63869, was found near Franklin, Kentucky. Captain Mantell was dead, with his watch stopped at 1518 hours.

The Air Force determined that Mantell was either chasing Venus or a top secret Skyhook balloon. It is probable that he lost consciousness due to lack of oxygen.

*The P-51 Mustang was redesignated F-51 in 1948.
... This Day in Aviation History

Dave offers Mantell's plane at http://papermodelshop.com/html/p51_mustang_usa.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 26
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 01:05:01 PM »
January 8, 1642 Galileo Galilei Dies

Italian astronomer Galileo Galilei dies in Italy at age 77. Born February 15, 1564, Galileo has been referred to as the "father of modern astronomy," the "father of modern physics" and the "father of science" due to his revolutionary discoveries. The first person to use a telescope to observe the skies, Galileo discovered the moons of Jupiter, the rings of Saturn, sunspots and the solar rotation.

After Galileo published his confirmation that the Earth orbits the Sun, in favor of the Copernican system, he was charged with heresies (ideas that ran counter to teaching of the church) by the Inquisition—the legal body of the Catholic church. He was found guilty in 1633 and sentenced to life imprisonment but due to his age and poor health he was allowed to serve out his sentence under house arrest.
... History.com

Maybe I don't remember my history classes well enough, but I believe that he was found guilty of beliefs that might be maybe heretical, which was why he was under house arrest and allowed visitors.  I could be wrong, though.  I might be older than dirt, but I wasn't there at the time.

I would have liked to find a model of his geometrical compass or his telescope, but no.

You can find a model of the heliocentric solar system at Canon, which is one of his beliefs that got him in trouble.

You can also find a model of the leaning tower of Pisa there.

Or you can get the Star Trek shuttle that bears his name at http://davesdesigns.ca/cutandfold/html/specialz.html#specialz

While you are there, pick up the Hippo Bus (no connection to Galileo whatsoever)

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 47
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 04:16:08 PM »
LOL

DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!