Author Topic: February (2017)  (Read 1382 times)

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
Re: February (2017)
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 01:57:37 PM »
February 12, 1809 Abraham Lincoln Born

On this day in 1809, Abraham Lincoln is born in Hodgenville, Kentucky.

Lincoln, one of America’s most admired presidents, grew up a member of a poor family in Kentucky and Indiana. He attended school for only one year, but thereafter read on his own in a continual effort to improve his mind. As an adult, he lived in Illinois and performed a variety of jobs including stints as a postmaster, surveyor and shopkeeper, before entering politics. He served in the Illinois legislature from 1834 to 1836, and then became an attorney. In 1842, Lincoln married Mary Todd; together, the pair raised four sons.

Lincoln returned to politics during the 1850s, a time when the nation’s long-standing division over slavery was flaring up, particularly in new territories being added to the Union. As leader of the new Republican Party, Lincoln was considered politically moderate, even on the issue of slavery. He advocated the restriction of slavery to the states in which it already existed and described the practice in a letter as a minor issue as late as 1854. In an 1858 senatorial race, as secessionist sentiment brewed among the southern states, he warned, a house divided against itself cannot stand. He did not win the Senate seat but earned national recognition as a strong political force. Lincoln’s inspiring oratory soothed a populace anxious about southern states’ secessionist threats and boosted his popularity.

As a presidential candidate in the election of 1860, Lincoln tried to reassure slaveholding interests that although he favored abolition, he had no intention of ending the practice in states where it already existed and prioritized saving the Union over freeing slaves. When he won the presidency by approximately 400,000 popular votes and carried the Electoral College, he was in effect handed a ticking time bomb. His concessions to slaveholders failed to prevent South Carolina from leading other states in an exodus from the Union that began shortly after his election. By February 1, 1861, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana and Texas had also seceded. Soon after, the Civil War began. As the war progressed, Lincoln moved closer to committing himself and the nation to the abolitionist movement and, in 1863, finally signed the Emancipation Proclamation. The document freed slaves in the Confederate states, but did not address the legality of slavery in Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska or Arkansas.

Lincoln was the tallest president at 6′ 4. As a young man, he impressed others with his sheer physical strength–he was a legendary wrestler in Illinois–and entertained friends and strangers alike with his dry, folksy wit, which was still in evidence years later. Exasperated by one Civil War military defeat after another, Lincoln wrote to a lethargic general if you are not using the army I should like to borrow it for awhile. An animal lover, Lincoln once declared, “I care not for a man’s religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.” Fittingly, a variety of pets took up residence at the Lincoln White House, including a pet turkey named Jack and a goat called Nanko. Lincoln’s son Tad frequently hitched Nanko to a small wagon and drove around the White House grounds.

Lincoln’s sense of humor may have helped him to hide recurring bouts of depression. He admitted to friends and colleagues that he suffered from intense melancholia and hypochondria most of his adult life. Perhaps in order to cope with it, Lincoln engaged in self-effacing humor, even chiding himself about his famously homely looks. When an opponent in an 1858 Senate race debate called him two-faced, he replied, If I had another face do you think I would wear this one?

Lincoln is remembered as The Great Emancipator. Although he waffled on the subject of slavery in the early years of his presidency, his greatest legacy was his work to preserve the Union and his signing of the Emancipation Proclamation. To Confederate sympathizers, however, Lincoln’s signing of the Emancipation Proclamation reinforced his image as a hated despot and ultimately led John Wilkes Booth to assassinate him on April 14, 1865. His favorite horse, Old Bob, pulled his funeral hearse.
...History.com

You can find a 'colorful' vintage model of his birthplace at http://doombringer-skade.blogspot.com/2012/05/abraham-lincolns-papercraft-cabin.html.

Not nearly as nice as Tapcho's boyhood home on Knob Creek, http://cutandfold.info/cutandfoldforum/index.php?topic=417.0
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 12:09:33 PM »
February 13, 1633 Galileo Arrives in Rome for Inquisition

On this day in 1633, Italian philosopher, astronomer and mathematician Galileo Galilei arrives in Rome to face charges of heresy for advocating Copernican theory, which holds that the Earth revolves around the Sun. Galileo officially faced the Roman Inquisition in April of that same year and agreed to plead guilty in exchange for a lighter sentence. Put under house arrest indefinitely by Pope Urban VIII, Galileo spent the rest of his days at his villa in Arcetri, near Florence, before dying on January 8, 1642.

Galileo, the son of a musician, was born February 15, 1564, in Pisa, Italy. He entered the University of Pisa planning to study medicine, but shifted his focus to philosophy and mathematics. In 1589, he became a professor at Pisa for several years, during which time he demonstrated that the speed of a falling object is not proportional to its weight, as Aristotle had believed. According to some reports, Galileo conducted his research by dropping objects of different weights from the Leaning Tower of Pisa. From 1592 to 1630, Galileo was a math professor at the University of Padua, where he developed a telescope that enabled him to observe lunar mountains and craters, the four largest satellites of Jupiter and the phases of Jupiter. He also discovered that the Milky Way was made up of stars. Following the publication of his research in 1610, Galileo gained acclaim and was appointed court mathematician at Florence.

Galileo's research led him to become an advocate of the work of the Polish astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus (1473-1573). However, the Copernican theory of a sun-centered solar system conflicted with the teachings of the powerful Roman Catholic Church, which essentially ruled Italy at the time. Church teachings contended that Earth, not the sun, was at the center of the universe. In 1633, Galileo was brought before the Roman Inquisition, a judicial system established by the papacy in 1542 to regulate church doctrine. This included the banning of books that conflicted with church teachings. The Roman Inquisition had its roots in the Inquisition of the Middle Ages, the purpose of which was to seek out and prosecute heretics, considered enemies of the state.

Today, Galileo is recognized for making important contributions to the study of motion and astronomy. His work influenced later scientists such as the English mathematician and physicist Sir Isaac Newton, who developed the law of universal gravitation. In 1992, the Vatican formally acknowledged its mistake in condemning Galileo.
... History.com

You can get your own Copernican System model from Canon, http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/3148/03311/index.html

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 46
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 11:09:29 PM »
Copernican System Link doesn't work for me.
Not sure if I have the right model,
but I found this one:
http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/CNT-0011115/index.html

DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 11:12:08 PM »
Thanks for the catch

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 12:22:32 PM »
February 14, 1968  Lara Croft's Birthday

I bet you thought I'd do something Valentine's Day related...

Fictional character's birthday?  Why not?  This has definitely been a very popular game franchise, and the movies didn't do bad.

There are all kinds of Tomb Raider paper models out there, but probably the largest collection is Ninjatoes'.

You can find them here:  http://ninjatoes.wordpress.com/category/tomb-raider/

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 12:35:59 PM »
February 15, 1903 First Teddy Bear Goes on Sale

On this day in 1903, toy store owner and inventor Morris Michtom places two stuffed bears in his shop window, advertising them as Teddy bears. Michtom had earlier petitioned President Theodore Roosevelt for permission to use his nickname, Teddy. The president agreed and, before long, other toy manufacturers began turning out copies of Michtom's stuffed bears, which soon became a national childhood institution.

Michtom went on to form the Ideal Toy Company.

I believe I prefer the Canon bears, which you can find here:  http://cp.c-ij.com/en/search/index.html?q=teddy&categoryIndex=0

Even their version of the original, http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/CNT-0011868/index.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 10:41:41 AM »
February 16, 1964 Christopher Eccleston Born

I wish his run as Doctor Who would have gone longer

You can find Dave's Tardis model at http://davesdesigns.ca/cutandfold/html/specialz.html#specialz

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 11:12:04 AM »
February 17, 1864 Confederate Sub Hunley Sinks Union Housatonic

On February 17, 1864, Hunley attacked and sank the 1240-short ton (1124 metric tons) screw sloop USS Housatonic on Union blockade duty in Charleston's outer harbor. Soon after, Hunley sank, killing all eight of her third crew. This time, the innovative ship was lost.  The previous two times it sank, it had been recovered.

Finally located in 1995, Hunley was recovered in 2000 and is on display in Charleston. Examination in 2012 of recovered Hunley artifacts suggests that the submarine was as close as 20 feet to her target, Housatonic, when her deployed torpedo exploded, which eventually caused the sub's own demise.

You can find the Hunley at https://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/1-48-css-hunley-1864-paper-model.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 09:39:13 AM »
February 18, 2001 The Intimidator Dies at Daytona

On this day in 2001, Dale Earnhardt Sr., considered one of the greatest drivers in National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) history, dies at the age of 49 in a last-lap crash at the 43rd Daytona 500 in Daytona Beach, Florida. Earnhardt was driving his famous black No. 3 Chevrolet and vying for third place when he collided with another car, then crashed into a wall. After being cut from his car, Earnhardt, whose tough, aggressive driving style earned him the nickname "The Intimidator," was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead of head injuries.

Earnhardt had been involved in another crash at the Daytona 500 in 1997, when his car flipped upside down on the backstretch. He managed to escape serious injury and went on to win Daytona in 1998, his first and only victory in that race after 20 years of trying. The 200-lap, 500-mile Daytona 500, which was first run in 1959 at the newly opened Daytona International Speedway, is one of NASCAR's premiere events as well as its season opener.

Earnhardt, whose father was a race car driver, was born on April 29, 1951, in Kannapolis, North Carolina, and dropped out of high school to pursue his own racing career. He went on to become one of NASCAR's most successful and respected competitors, winning 76 Winston Cup (now known as the Sprint Cup) races in his career and taking home a record seven Cup championships, a feat achieved by just one other driver in his sport, Richard Petty. In addition to his legendary accomplishments as a driver, Earnhardt was also a successful businessman and NASCAR team owner. The 2001 Daytona race which cost Earnhardt his life was won by Michael Waltrip, who drove for Dale Earnhardt Inc. (DEI). Earnhardt's son, Dale Jr., also a DEI driver (until 2008, when he began driving for the Hendrick Motorsports team), took second place in the race.

Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s death in 2001 made him the fourth NASCAR driver to die within a nine-month period and eventually prompted NASCAR officials to implement a series of more stringent safety regulations, including the use of head-and-neck restraints.
... History.com

I thought that Cami used to have a model of #3, but I cannot seem to find it now.  So we'll have to go with the papertoys.com version, http://www.papertoys.com/nascar.htm.  If you can find a link to Cami's 2008-issued version, let us know

Hey, heading out of town for the 3-day weekend, so I'm going to post ahead

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2017, 09:43:16 AM »
Februry 19, 1986 Mir Core Module Launched

The core module of the Mir space station (DOS-7) (Dolgovremennaya Orbitalnaya Stanziya) was launched from Site 200 of the Baikonur Cosmodrome aboard a Proton 8K82K rocket. This was the first section of the space station. It consisted of living quarters and environmental systems, engines, and four air locks to which additional modules would be attached.

The Mir was unmanned when it was placed in low Earth orbit. The first two-man crew arrived 15 March 1986 and began bringing the space station systems online. The first expedition stayed aboard for 51 days.
... This Day in Aviation

You can get your own Mir Space Station at http://www.axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/old/Historicalspacestations.html#.WKhdRk3rvjo

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2017, 09:44:16 AM »
February 20, 1986 Chunnel Plans Announced

Attempts to dig a channel tunnel between Britain and France date back to 1883, and Napoleon drew blueprints for a tunnel in 1802. Yet not until February 20, 1986, were France and Britain able to announce that a tunnel would soon become a reality. Trains, cars and buses would be able to speed through the tunnel in less than half an hour. Construction began in December 1987 and the "chunnel" was finally completed in 1994.
... History.com

You can get your own Eurotunnel Locomotive at http://www.currell.net/models/eurotunnel_loco.htm