Author Topic: February (2017)  (Read 1530 times)

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 26
Re: February (2017)
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 09:21:41 AM »
February 21, 1972 Nixon Arrives in China

President Richard M. Nixon arrives in Beijing, the capital of the People's Republic of China, on the first presidential visit to the world's most populous nation. Given that the U.S. federal government had formally opposed China's communist government since it took power in 1949, Nixon was also the first president to visit a nation not recognized by the United States. In Beijing, President Nixon met with Chairman Mao Zedong and Premier Zhou Enlai.

At the Shanghai Communique on February 27, Nixon and the Chinese premier agreed to lessen the risk of war, expand cultural contacts between the two nations, and establish a permanent U.S. trade mission in China. In addition, the United States acknowledged China's "one-China" policy and agreed to a gradual withdrawal of U.S. troops from the island of Taiwan. The two leaders also secretly discussed ways in which they could cooperate to check the growth of Soviet power in Asia and elsewhere.
... History.com

I believe it was a Klingon proverb in Star Trek, 'Only Nixon could go to China'.  Good, bad, indifferent, history will decide.

For today's model, let's do the Great Wall from Canon, http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/CNT-0011892/index.html
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 26
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 12:10:20 PM »
February 22, 1928 Hinkler Arrives in Australia

Herbert John Louis Hinkler, AFC, DSM, arrived at Darwin, Northern Territories, Australia after flying solo from Croydon, London, England. He had departed Croydon February 7, flying his Avro 581E Avian, G-EBOV. He had navigated by using a London Times atlas.

The previous record time for the 11,000 miles (18,000 kilometers) had been 28 days. An estimated 10,000 spectators watched his arrival.

The government of Australia awarded Bert Hinkler a prize of £2,000. He was made a squadron leader in the Royal Australian Air Force Reserve and awarded the Air Force Cross.

You can find Hinkler's Avro Avian at https://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/1-48-hinkler-s-avro-avian.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 26
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2017, 11:12:43 AM »
February 23, 1945 US Raises Flag on Iwo Jima

During the bloody Battle for Iwo Jima, U.S. Marines from the 3rd Platoon, E Company, 2nd Battalion, 28th Regiment of the 5th Division take the crest of Mount Suribachi, the island's highest peak and most strategic position, and raise the U.S. flag. Marine photographer Louis Lowery was with them and recorded the event. American soldiers fighting for control of Suribachi's slopes cheered the raising of the flag, and several hours later more Marines headed up to the crest with a larger flag. Joe Rosenthal, a photographer with the Associated Press, met them along the way and recorded the raising of the second flag along with a Marine still photographer and a motion-picture cameraman.

Rosenthal took three photographs atop Suribachi. The first, which showed five Marines and one Navy corpsman struggling to hoist the heavy flag pole, became the most reproduced photograph in history and won him a Pulitzer Prize.

Oliver Bizer did a wonderful framed vignette of this event on PM.com at http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/alternate-dimensions/17373-mount-suribachi-february-23-1945-a.html.  Olli has agreed to allow this model to be distributed on request through this forum post.  PM me with your email address and I will send you a zip file with both pdf and jpg versions.

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 26
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 09:25:18 AM »
February 24, 1786  Wilhelm Grimm Born

On this day in 1786, Wilhelm Karl Grimm, the younger of the two Brothers Grimm, is born in Hanau, Germany.

As young men, the two brothers assisted friends in compiling an important collection of folk lyrics. One of the authors, impressed by the brothers' work, suggested they publish some of the oral folktales they'd collected. The collection appeared as Children's and Household Tales, later known as Grimm's Fairy Tales, in several volumes between 1812 and 1822.

Tales in the Grimm collection include "Hansel and Gretel," "Snow White," "Little Red Riding Hood," "Sleeping Beauty," "Rapunzel," and "Rumpelstiltskin." The brothers developed the tales by listening to storytellers and attempting to reproduce their words and techniques as faithfully as possible. Their methods helped establish the scientific approach to the documentation of folklore. The collection became a worldwide classic.

Wilhelm continued his study of German folklore and published a new edition of ancient written tales. In 1829, Jacob and Wilhelm became librarians and professors at the University of Gottingen, and Jacob published another important work, German Mythologies, exploring the beliefs of pre-Christian Germans. In 1840, King Frederick William IV of Prussia invited the brothers to Berlin, where they became members of the Royal Academy of Science. They began work on an enormous dictionary, but Wilhelm died in 1859, before entries for the letter D were completed. Jacob followed four years later, having only gotten as far as F. Subsequent researchers finished the dictionary many years later.
... History.com

Sasatoku has a number of Story Hako's, including the Town Musicians of Bremen, which you can find here:  http://www.sasatoku.co.jp/hp/present/paper_craft/story/bremen/hako.html

He does a calendar series for each of the last several years.  The link gets you to the main page, but you have to click on the big button that in English reads 'Display Other Series' to get to the Bremen set. 

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 26
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 10:05:50 AM »
February 25, 1927 Lindbergh Puts Pen to Paper

Acting on behalf of a syndicate of St. Louis business men, Charles A. Lindbergh contracts Ryan Airlines Company of San Diego to design and build a single-engine monoplane for a flight from New York to Paris. This would become the Spirit of St. Louis. The cost is $10,580.

“The Ryan Airlines factory is in an old, dilapidated building near the waterfront. I feel conspicuous driving up to it in a taxicab. A couple of loafers stare at me as I pay my fare. There’s no flying field, no hangar, no sound of engines warming up; and the unmistakable smell of dead fish from a near-by cannery mixes with the banana odor of dope from drying wings. . .

“I open the door to a small, dusty, paper-strewn office. A slender young man advances to meet me—clear, piercing eyes, intent face. He introduces himself as Donald Hall, chief engineer for Ryan Airlines, Incorporated. . . .”

—The Spirit of St. Louis, by Charles A. Lindbergh, Charles Scribner’s Sons, New York, 1953, Chapter III, Page 79.

“I check the wording and hand my telegram to the girl in the office. I’m ready to cast my lot with the Ryan organization. I believe in Hall’s ability; I like Mahoney’s enthusiasm. I have confidence in the character of the workmen I’ve met. This company is a fit partner for our organization in St. Louis. They’re as anxious to build a plane that will fly to Paris as I am to fly it there.”

—The Spirit of St. Louis, by Charles A. Lindbergh, Charles Scribner’s Sons, New York, 1953, Chapter III, Page 85.
... This Day in Aviation

Going with the Canon model again, http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/CNT-0011913/index.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 26
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 10:09:52 AM »
February 26, 1935 Hitler Organizes Luftwaffe

On February 26, 1935, Nazi leader Adolf Hitler signs a secret decree authorizing the founding of the Reich Luftwaffe as a third German military service to join the Reich army and navy. In the same decree, Hitler appointed Hermann Goering, a German air hero from World War I and high-ranking Nazi, as commander in chief of the new German air force.

The Versailles Treaty that ended World War I prohibited military aviation in Germany, but a German civilian airline--Lufthansa--was founded in 1926 and provided flight training for the men who would later become Luftwaffe pilots. After coming to power in 1933, Nazi leader Adolf Hitler began to secretly develop a state-of-the-art military air force and appointed Goering as German air minister. (During World War I, Goering commanded the celebrated air squadron in which the great German ace Manfred von Richthofen--"The Red Baron"--served.) In February 1935, Hitler formally organized the Luftwaffe as a major step in his program of German rearmament.

The Luftwaffe was to be uncamouflaged step-by-step so as not to alarm foreign governments, and the size and composition of Luftwaffe units were to remain secret as before. However, in March 1935, Britain announced it was strengthening its Royal Air Force (RAF), and Hitler, not to be outdone, revealed his Luftwaffe, which was rapidly growing into a formidable air force.

As German rearmament moved forward at an alarming rate, Britain and France protested but failed to keep up with German war production. The German air fleet grew dramatically, and the new German fighter--the Me-109--was far more sophisticated than its counterparts in Britain, France, or Russia. The Me-109 was bloodied during the Spanish Civil War; Luftwaffe pilots received combat training as they tried out new aerial attack formations on Spanish towns such as Guernica, which suffered more than 1,000 killed during a brutal bombing by the Luftwaffe in April 1937.

The Luftwaffe was configured to serve as a crucial part of the German blitzkrieg, or "lightning war"--the deadly military strategy developed by General Heinz Guderian. As German panzer divisions burst deep into enemy territory, lethal Luftwaffe dive-bombers would decimate the enemy's supply and communication lines and cause panic. By the outbreak of World War II in September 1939, the Luftwaffe had an operational force of 1,000 fighters and 1,050 bombers.

First Poland and then Denmark, Norway, Holland, Belgium, and France fell to the blitzkrieg. After the surrender of France, Germany turned the Luftwaffe against Britain, hoping to destroy the RAF in preparation for a proposed German landing. However, in the epic air battle known as the Battle of Britain, the outnumbered RAF fliers successfully resisted the Luftwaffe, relying on radar technology, their new, highly maneuverable Spitfire aircraft, bravery, and luck. For every British plane shot down, two German warplanes were destroyed. In the face of British resistance, Hitler changed strategy in the Battle of Britain, abandoning his invasion plans and attempting to bomb London into submission. However, in this campaign, the Luftwaffe was hampered by its lack of strategic, long-range bombers, and in early 1941 the Battle of Britain ended in failure.

Britain had handed the Luftwaffe its first defeat. Later that year, Hitler ordered an invasion of the USSR, which after initial triumphs turned into an unqualified disaster. As Hitler stubbornly fought to overcome Russia's bitter resistance, the depleted Luftwaffe steadily lost air superiority over Europe in the face of increasing British and American air attacks. By the time of the D-Day invasion of Normandy in June 1944, the Luftwaffe air fleet was a skeleton of its former self.
... History.com

You can find many ME-109's at Ecardmodels, https://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=me-109

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 26
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 09:42:31 AM »
February 27, 1962 Adam Baldwin Born

Okay, it is also Ralph Nader's birthday, but I couldn't find a Corvair.

So we are going with Jayne Cobb of Firefly/Serenity.  I really enjoyed the post-civil-war-in-space vibe.

Going with another easy model today, Jim Bowen's Serenity Christmas Ornament.  http://newobmij.tumblr.com/tagged/Serenity

Adam did great on that role, but every time I watched an episode, I always wondered if they had considered Bill Paxton for the role.  The character is so much like Hudson.

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 26
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 09:21:05 AM »
February 28, 1983 Final Episode of M*A*S*H

"Goodbye, Farewell and Amen" was the final episode of M*A*S*H. Special television sets were placed in PX parking lots, auditoriums, and dayrooms of the US Army in Korea so that military personnel could watch that episode; this in spite of 14 hours' time zone difference with the east coast of the US. The episode aired on February 28, 1983, and was 2½ hours long. The episode got a Nielsen rating of 60.2 and 77 share and according to a New York Times article from 1983, the final episode of M*A*S*H had 125 million viewers.

Got to see if there is any way to get Olive Drab and Gray for font colors here.  This title definitely should have been olive drab.

One of the most iconic memories of the show is of course 'The Swamp'. 

Download your own Swamp at http://happyscale-modellbau.blogspot.com/2013/06/mash-tent-swamp-papermodel-172.html