Author Topic: April (2017)  (Read 930 times)

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
April (2017)
« on: April 01, 2017, 02:26:52 PM »
April 1, 1960 Tiros-1 Launched

TIROS-1, the first successful Earth-orbiting weather satellite, was launched at 6:40:09 a.m. (11:40:09 UTC), from Launch Complex 17A at Cape Canaveral, Florida, aboard a Thor-Able liquid-fueled rocket. The satellite was placed into a low Earth orbit. The satellite’s name was an acronym for Television Infra Red Observation Satellite.

TIROS-1 was built of aluminum and stainless steel. It had a diameter of 3 feet, 6 inches (1.067 meters) and height of 1 foot, 7 inches (0.483 meters.) The satellite weighed 270 pounds (122.47 kilograms). Two television cameras were installed on the satellite. They received electrical power from storage batteries charged by 9,200 solar cells. Images were stored on magnetic tape, then transmitted when in range of a ground receiving station. The first image, which showed large-scale cloud formations, was transmitted the day of the launch.

TIROS-1 remained operational for 78 days.
... This Day in Aviation

Joy Cohn has a model of Tiros-1, but says the date of launch was June 1, http://www.nielspapermodels.com/tiros1.htm, but themodel looks good.

Images dated 4-1-1960 make me tend to believe Bryan over at This Day in Aviation

There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
Re: April (2017)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 10:29:41 AM »
April 2, 1914  Alec Guiness Born

Oh, wait, that's the model, and you can get it here:  http://noturnosukhoi.blogspot.com/2014/09/star-wars-ben-kenobi-ep-ivpapercraft.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 01:48:41 PM »
April 3, 1924  Marlon Brando Born

Happy Birthday, Marlon, may I offer you a horse's head.

It's been quite a day.  I can think of a bunch of folks that deserve horse's heads right now

You can find him here:  http://noturnosukhoi.blogspot.com/2012/09/don-corleone-godfatherpapercraft.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 12:42:20 PM »
April 4, 1943 Flight of Lady Be Good

4 April 1943: A brand-new crew with a brand new airplane, assigned to the 514th Bombardment Squadron, 376th Bombardment Group, Ninth Air Force, departed Soluch Field (now, Benina International Airport) on their first combat mission, a night attack on Naples, Italy. First Lieutenant William J. Hatton, USAAF, and his crew of eight men were flying a Consolidated B-24D-25-CO Liberator, serial number 41-24301. They would never be seen alive again.

High winds and poor visibility broke up the 25-plane formation, and eventually only two made it all the way to Naples, arriving over the city at about 7:50 p.m. Bad weather made bombing difficult, so the B-24s dropped their bombs into the Mediterranean Sea and started home. By this time, Lieutenant Hatton and his men were alone.

The flight crew became lost on the return flight and overflew their home base. They  continued south into the darkness of the desert night. Eventually, the bomber began to run out of fuel. When two of the four engines stopped, the nine men bailed out into the darkness. The pilots had trimmed the bomber to fly with just two engines operating before abandoning their airplane.The B-24 continued south on its own.

15 years later an oil exploration team discovered the wreckage of 41-24301 in the Calanscio Sand Sea of the Libyan Sahara Desert. The Lady Be Good had come to earth 440 miles (708 kilometers) south of its base at Soluch.
... from This Day in Aviation History

You can get your own model of the Lady Be Good at http://papermodelshop.com/html/b-24_lib.html

Vintage Modeler's build was outstanding in the Cut and Fold Challenge a few years back

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 12:58:24 PM »
April 5, 1950 Marshall Mars Destoyed by Fire and Sinks

While on a test flight following an engine change, a United States Navy Martin JRM-3 Mars seaplane, Marshall Mars, Bu. No. 76822, suffered an engine fire (inboard, left wing) and made an emergency landing at Ke’ehi Lagoon, off Diamond Head, Hawaii, 5 April 1950. The airplane’s crew was rescued but the airplane exploded and sank.

The wreck was discovered on the sea floor in August 2004 at a depth of approximately 1,400 feet (427 meters).

The Martin JRM Mars was a large four-engine flying boat transport built by the Glenn L. Martin Company for the U. S. Navy. Only five were built, designated JRM-1, with the last one being a JRM-2. Each airplane was given an individual name derived from the names of island chains in the Pacific Ocean: Marianas Mars, Hawaii Mars, Philippine Mars, Marshall Mars and Caroline Mars. These were used to transport personnel and cargo between the West Coast of the United States and the Hawaiian Islands. All were upgraded to JRM-3.
... This Day in Aviation

You can grab Aaron's model at http://cadbest.com/store/en/?search=martin mars&pid=480&p=1

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 01:35:16 PM »
April 6, 1968 2001: A Space Odyssey Released

On this day in 1968, Stanley’s Kubrick’s science-fiction classic 2001: A Space Odyssey makes its debut in movie theaters.

Kubrick had first gained prominence as a director for the World War I-era drama Paths of Glory (1957). After helming the big-budget Roman epic Spartacus (1960), he made a 1962 screen adaptation of Vladimir Nabokov’s novel Lolita before turning to an even more controversial topic–nuclear warfare–in the darkly bizarre satire Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964). In the spring of 1964, Kubrick met with Arthur C. Clarke, a former officer in the Royal Air Force and chairman of the British Interplanetary Society, who had begun a full-time science-fiction writing career in 1951. Over the next year, Clarke and Kubrick worked closely to adapt the former’s short story “The Sentinel” into a movie screenplay as well as a full-length novel. Clarke also worked as a general scientific adviser on the film.

Originally entitled A Journey Beyond the Stars, Kubrick’s film was released in April 1968 as 2001: A Space Odyssey. Jumping seamlessly from Africa in the Pleistocene Era to a space-shuttle cabin some 4 million years later, the film clocked in at around three hours and contained less than 40 minutes of dialogue. Stretches of absolute silence or of the sound of human breathing (mimicking the external and internal experience of being inside a space suit) were interspersed with grand orchestral scores, including work by both Richard and Johann Strauss. Kubrick intended 2001 to be a primarily visual–rather than verbal–experience, and the scarcity of dialogue and languid pacing only enhanced the impact of the film’s impressive visual effects.

Though 2001 received many negative reviews when it was released–The New Yorker’s Pauline Kael, for one, called it “monumentally unimaginative”–its prestige grew over the years and it is now regarded by many as Kubrick’s masterwork and one of the most significant films of the 20th century. Its sweeping visual style and psychedelic special effects directly influenced space blockbusters such as George Lucas’ Star Wars movies. At the 41st annual Academy Awards in April 1969, the film did not receive a nomination for Best Picture, though Kubrick was nominated in the Best Director category; he lost to Sir Carol Reed for Oliver! Of four nominations, 2001 won one Oscar, for Best Visual Effects.
...History.com

Two models today from Gary Pilsworth.  The Spaceplane can be found at http://jleslie48.com/gallery_models_scifi.html .
The Moonbus can be found at http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/vbdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=86

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 01:10:09 PM »
April 7, 1945 Yamato Sank

On this day in 1945, the Japanese battleship Yamato, ostensibly the greatest battleship in the world, is sunk in Japan’s first major counteroffensive in the struggle for Okinawa.

Weighing 72,800 tons and outfitted with nine 18.1-inch guns, the battleship Yamato was Japan’s only hope of destroying the Allied fleet off the coast of Okinawa. But insufficient air cover and fuel cursed the endeavor as a suicide mission. Struck by 19 American aerial torpedoes, it was sunk, drowning 2,498 of its crew.
... History.com

The sinking of the Yamato has come to be symbolic of the end of the Japanese Empire.

You can find the model at http://digitalnavy.com/Yamato.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 01:13:05 PM »
April 8, 1964 Gemini I Launched

Gemini 1 was the first unmanned test flight of the Gemini spacecraft in NASA's Gemini program. Its main objectives were to test the structural integrity of the new spacecraft and modified Titan II ICBM. It was also the first test of the new tracking and communication systems for the Gemini program and provided training for the ground support crews for the first manned missions.

The spacecraft stayed attached to the second stage of the rocket. The mission lasted for three orbits while test data were taken, but the spacecraft stayed in orbit for almost 64 orbits until the orbit decayed due to atmospheric drag. The spacecraft was not intended to be recovered; in fact, holes were drilled through its heat shield to ensure it would not survive re-entry.
... Wikipedia

You can find the Ton Noteboom model at http://jleslie48.com/gallery_models_real.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 01:15:53 PM »
April 9, 1951 P-51C Sets FAI Speed Record

Jackie Cochran set a Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI) world record and National Aeronautic Association U.S. national record on 9 April 1951, flying her North American Aviation P-51C Mustang, N5528N, to an average speed of 747.34 kilometers per hour (464.374 miles per hour) over a straight 16 kilometer (9.942 miles) high-altitude course at Indio, California. (FAI Record File Number 4477)

Thunderbird was Jackie Cochran’s third P-51 Mustang. She had purchased it from Academy Award-winning actor and World War II B-24 wing commander James M. Stewart, 19 December 1949. It was painted cobalt blue with gold lettering and trim.

According to Civil Aviation Administration records the airplane had been “assembled from components of other aircraft of the same type.” It has no USAAC serial number or North American Aviation serial number. The CAA designated it as a P-51C and assigned 2925 as its serial number. It was certificated in the Experimental category and registered N5528N.

Thunderbird had won the 1949 Bendix Trophy Race from Rosamond Dry Lake, California, to Cleveland Municipal Airport, Ohio, with pilot Joe De Bona in the cockpit.
... This Day in Aviation

With all of Dave's announcements, I was in a P-51 mood.  Unfortunately, this isn't in Dave's Racer Collection, but there are definitely some beauties there:  http://papermodelshop.com/html/air_racers.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 12:44:43 PM »
April 10, 1959 Talon First Flight

Northrop test pilot Lewis A. Nelson made the first takeoff of the prototype YT-38-5-NO Talon, serial number 58-1191, at Edwards Air Force Base, California. A private venture by Northrop, the Talon was designed by a team led by Ed Schmued, famous for his work on the North American Aviation P-51 Mustang, F-86 Sabre and the F-100 Super Sabre. The Talon is a twin-engine advanced trainer capable of supersonic speeds. After testing, the YT-38 was modified to the YT-38A. The modified aircraft was accepted by the Air Force and ordered into production as the T-38A Talon.

The T-38 was the world’s first supersonic flight trainer.

Between 1959 and 1972, 1,187 T-38s were built at Northrop’s Hawthorne, California factory. According to the company, more than half remain in service today, with the average aircraft having reached 15,000 flight hours. The high-time Talon has over 19,000 hours. Since 1962, every pilot in the United States Air Force has been trained in the T-38.
... This Day in Aviation

For the models, head over to https://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=t-38

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 11:02:04 AM »
April 11, 1975 NASA's Five Starfighters in Air Together

“The only time the five ship fleet of NASA Dryden’s F-104 Starfighters was ever airborne at the same time. Pilots were: F-104N #811-Bill Dana; F-104N #812-Tom McMurtry; F-104A #818-Einar Enevoldson; F-104A #820-Gary Krier; and F-104B #819-Fitz Fulton and Ray Young. Photo taken from T-38 #821 flown by Don Mallick.”
... This Day in Aviation

And for the model, https://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/nasa-f-104-starfighter-stomp-rocket-paper-model.html