Author Topic: April (2017)  (Read 923 times)

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
Re: April (2017)
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 11:16:45 AM »
April 12, 1888 MG Founder Cecil Kimber Born

The MG Car Company Limited was a British sports car manufacturer founded in the 1920s by Cecil Kimber. Best known for its two-seat open sports cars, MG also produced saloons and coupés. Kimber was an employee of William Morris; MG are the initials for Morris Garages. The MG business was Morris's personal property until 1935 when he sold MG into his holding company, Morris Motors Limited, restructuring his holdings before issuing (preference) shares in Morris Motors to the public in 1936. On 22 July 2005, the Nanjing Automobile Group purchased the rights to the MG brand and the assets of the MG Rover Group for £53 million and created a new company, MG Motor.
...History.com

Of course, one of the best MG models is the TC from Canon, http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/CNT-0011750/index.html

Several less-complex models can be found at http://www.mgnuts.com/papermodels/

There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 01:01:26 PM »
April 13, 1950 Ron Perlman Born

For the model, let's use BazookaJo's Hellboy bust at http://www.bazookajo.me.uk/PaperModels/Hellboy/HellboyBust.htm

As an aside, it is also Peter Davison's birthday, who you may remember as the Doctor back in the 80's.  On April 13, 1951 he was born Peter Malcolm Gordon Moffett.  Which my addled brain got me remembering that Steven Moffett (actually Moffatt) was the executive producer of Doctor Who and wrote many of my favorite episodes.  In finding out that I had the name wrong, I did find out that Peter Davison's daughter is Georgia Moffett, who played Jenny, the Doctor's cloned daughter.  So the Doctor's daughter played the Doctor's daughter.  I found that interesting.  More interestingly, that is when she and David Tennant met.  Later on the Doctor's daughter (twice, sort of) and Tennant married, making her the Doctor's wife and later gave birth to a daughter, Olive, who is also a Doctor's daughter.  All incest and nepotism joking aside, I found that interesting.

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 09:23:00 AM »
April 14, 1977 Sarah Michelle Gellar Born

Okay, Lincoln shot and Titanic hit iceberg, but we are going a little lighter.

You can find a model of Buffy at https://ninjatoes.wordpress.com/category/miscellaneous/buffy-the-vampire-slayer/

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 09:26:33 AM »
April 15, 1952 YB-52 Maiden Flight

At 11:09 a.m., Boeing’s chief test pilot Alvin M. “Tex” Johnston and LCOL Guy M. Townsend, USAF, ran all eight turbojet engines to full power and released the brakes on the YB-52 Stratofortress prototype, 49-231. After lifting off from Boeing Field on its first flight, the YB-52 remained over the Seattle area for approximatey 40 minutes while Johnson and Townsend ran through a series of systems checks. When completed, they climbed to 25,000 feet and flew the new bomber to Larson AFB, Moses Lake, Washington, where they stayed airborne for continued testing. The Stratofortress finally touched down after 2 hours, 51 minutes—the longest first flight in Boeing’s history at the time. Johnston radioed that the airplane performed exactly as the engineers had predicted.

The YB-52 had actually been ordered as the second of two XB-52s, but modifications and additional equipment installed during building resulted in enough differences to warrant a designation change. The first XB-52, 49-230, would have been the first to fly, but it was damaged during ground testing.

The B-52 was produced by Boeing at its plants in Seattle and Wichita from 1952 to 1962, with a total of 744 built. The last version, the B-52H, was entered service with the Strategic Air Command from 1960 through 1962.

All previous versions, B-52A through B-52G, have long been retired to The Boneyard and scrapped. Of the 102 Boeing B-52H Stratofortress bombers, 94 are still in active service with the United States Air Force. The newest B-52 in service, B-52H-175-BW 61-0040, is 52 years old and has flown more than 21,000 flight hours.

The YB-52 prototype was retired to the National Museum of the United States Air Force in the late 1950s. By the mid-60s it was determined to be excess and was scrapped.
... This Day in Aviation

For the model, let's use Gary Pilsworth's XB-52, http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/vbdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=711

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 09:37:41 AM »
April 15, 1452 Da Vinci Born

Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci; April 15, 1452 – May 2, 1519, was an Italian Renaissance polymath: painter, sculptor, architect, musician, mathematician, engineer, inventor, anatomist, geologist, cartographer, botanist, and writer. His genius, perhaps more than that of any other figure, epitomized the Renaissance humanist ideal. Leonardo has often been described as the archetype of the Renaissance Man, a man of "unquenchable curiosity" and "feverishly inventive imagination". Wikipedia

Granted, these are 'Kid Models', but I think they are well done.  Go to http://web.archive.org/web/20140215214502/http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/shows/leonardo, then scroll down to Things to Do.  There are four models.  You can also try your hand at the Invention Challenge

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 09:39:14 AM »
April 16, 1897 Frederick William Winterbotham Born

Winterbotham, a British secret service official who would play a decisive role in the World War II Ultra code-breaking project, is born on this day in 1897.

A graduate of Oxford and trained in law, Winterbotham had been a pilot with the Royal Flying Corps in World War II before joining the British secret service (MI-6) in 1929 as chief of air intelligence. In 1938, Winterbotham and MI-6 colleagues learned of a German encrypting device called Enigma. By 1940, British experts broke Enigma's code, enabling MI-6 to intercept top secret and highly sensitive messages (even from Hitler himself) transmitted to and between German armed forces. Winterbotham was given the responsibility of distributing the German data, code-named Ultra, to British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, among others. This data proved invaluable to the Allies as a strategic tool in anticipating and undermining Axis military operations, from the Battle of Britain to Normandy.

Winterbotham was made a Commander of the British Empire in 1943 and was awarded the Legion of Merit in 1945. He died in Blandford, Dorset, in 1990.

You can get your own Enigma Machine at http://paper-replika.com/index.php?option=com_content&id=527:german-m4-naval-enigma-machine&Itemid=201320

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 46
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 09:00:56 AM »
I've always wanted to build that Enigma Machine, but where would I put it?!

Those DaVinci models are awesome!...Those, I definitely will build!

And, Season 10 Doctor started yesterday...Capaldi's last season...and a new companion, Bill (shes great)
...and another sidekick, Nardole, who I really hope sticks around! Very funny.
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2017, 10:25:00 PM »
Quote from: Dave Winfield on Today at 09:00:56 AM
    I've always wanted to build that Enigma Machine, but where would I put it?!

Those DaVinci models are awesome!...Those, I definitely will build!

And, Season 10 Doctor started yesterday...Capaldi's last season...and a new companion, Bill (shes great)
    ...and another sidekick, Nardole, who I really hope sticks around! Very funny.

Capaldi's Doctor dies during this season, but he isn't quite done.  He was on Graham Norton and said that this may be the biggest surprise in the whole series.

Did you watch Class?

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 46
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 11:34:11 PM »
Can't die...hes a Time Lord.
Not too thrilled about the return of the Master.
Didn't really like that character.

No, I did not like Class...watched 1 and a half episodes.
Saw no point to it really.
Seemed like a Doctor knockoff with no Doctor...just kids that I didn't like.
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2017, 08:47:31 AM »
Yeah, I watched half of an episode and decided I had better uses for my time ...

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 24
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2017, 03:50:14 PM »
April 17, 1397 Chaucer's First Reading from the Canterbury Tales

On 17 April 1397, Geoffrey Chaucer began his telling of the Canterbury Tales at the court of Richard II and, according to the text, it was on this date in 1387 that the pilgrims of the tale began their journey to the shrine of Thomas Beckett.

At the time in which the Tales were written, the Catholic Church was still suffering from the effects of the Great Schism – two and later three claimants asserted their legitimacy as pope at the same time.  Struggles to end the schism and return unity to the Catholic Church motivated calls for reform by such men as John Wycliffe – who attacked papal supremacy.

The Canterbury Tales thus reflect this difficult time in the Church.  Many of the characters are religious such as the Pardoner, the Summoner, the Friar, the Monk, the Prioress, the Priest and the Nun.   Chaucer uses these characters to attack what he considered the corruption among the clergy and to emphasize what he considered true religious virtue.  Chaucer wanted his stories to point out those who had failed to live as they should and also those who did serve as good examples to others.

Today, Chaucer’s work continues to serve as a model of the Christian pilgrimage to heaven, sinners and saints striving for holiness.  In his 2005 talk for World Youth Day, J. Francis Cardinal Stafford noted:

In this Catholic poet, we see how a many-layered tradition (pilgrimage to a shrine containing a relic) can eventually exhibit a whole range of phenomena, from the authentic spirituality of the Parson to crassest superstition and entrepreneurial greed. The very existence of such beliefs reveals the nature and quality of the Catholic faith at that time: Christians would not respond to a god as a mere abstract idea, an abstract spiritual principle or a subject of speculation. The Catholic faithful wished to see and touch the true God. This was no light matter.
... CatholicUndertheHood.com

One of the few things that have stuck with me from High School English is the Prologue to the Canterbury Tales.  Whan that Aprille with his shoures soote, ...

Evidently, teens don't have to memorize things like that any more.

I know there is Rupert Cordeaux's model of Canterbury Cathedral, but since I have no idea how to direct you to being able to purchase it, I'm going a different direction.

Krzysztof did a whole bunch of medieval wargaming figures based off the Codex Manesse.  You can find them at https://minilabmodels.wordpress.com/tag/codex-manesse/.  You ought to find enough there to fill out your group of pilgrims