Author Topic: The Saladin Armoured Car  (Read 388 times)

paperbones

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 0
The Saladin Armoured Car
« on: July 07, 2017, 10:37:37 PM »
Hello everyone, I'm new here although I spend most of my time at papermodels11@googlegroups and have been building cardmodels for a few years now. I found out about Dave's Saladin from his cutand fold website and bought it at ecarmodels.com. Dave suggested I show a few photos of the build so this is the first post.
This is one of the nicest models I think I have ever tried to put together and so far I've been having a ball building it. Sometimes my hamfistedness causes a few problems but that's me not the model  :) . So far the frame and driver's position have gone together and now some of the second compartment has been completed. The photos show the frame inside the lower hull but that was only for the photos and much more to be done yet before it gets fitted permanently, this is the driver compartment.

The next photo is the second compartment underway, I built one round to put into the storage rack...I don't know that I'll do too many of them, they are pretty small. sorry for the lousy pics, I've just been dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century with a smart phone and still to get used to taking photos with it.

More to come as I progress, finish date unknown..hope this post comes out OK.

Bones

paperbones

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 0
Re: The Saladin Armoured Car
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 11:48:28 PM »
I should mention too that the whole thing is printed on 150gsm card except for the frame which is 4 layer 200gsm card and the axles that are 80gsm. To make the laminations for the frame I made a press out of a couple of pieces of pine board and two bolts with wingnuts to tighten the whole thing down flat. Plaster it with PVA glue, slap it in the press overnight and out comes a solid piece of gear to cut down to shape.

Bones

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 11:53:14 PM »
Looking good so far.  As far as photos, smart phones need a bit of distance to focus well without getting blurry from small movements of your hand while taking the shot.  I send my photos to my computer and adjust photos from there.

Try taking the photos from a little farther away, and then you can crop your photos with your computer.  You can probably do it with your phone, but I've never gotten that to work well in my phone.
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 02:35:35 PM »
I love seeing builds of my models. Absolutely awesome!!!!

Yes, we would like to see better quality photos,
but we will take whatever we can get.
Try to heed Vermin's advice.

Do you know anyone who can help  you with taking and editing photos?
We all have sons and daughters...and grandchildren...who can handle this stuff with no effort.

I'll move this post into the "Builds in progress" area since this is mainly just an Introductions section.
Not to worry. No biggie.
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 02:39:34 PM »
Dave suggested I show a few photos of the build so this is the first post.
This is one of the nicest models I think I have ever tried to put together and so far I've been having a ball building it. Sometimes my hamfistedness causes a few problems but that's me not the model  :)

Bones

The Hull skins ...connecting the lower and upper sections...can be a little tricky in spots.
You may not feel as giddy when you get to those parts! lol
Take your time and try to enjoy it as much as possible.
Believe me, it does all go together!

paperbones

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 0
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 05:03:32 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I have photo editing software and use Converseen (in Linux) for batch reducing photos. I should just change the settings so it doesn't reduce them so much, also should just go back to using the digital camera but hunting for batteries....well you probably know what that's like.
Also thanks for moving this to the proper spot, I just didn't look closely enough. I have no doubt the upper hull will fit once I get to that point considering the way everything else has fitted, right now I'm making the ammunition racks and might try making the rounds out of 80gsm paper, at least the top warhead cone, the rest was easy to roll out of card once I sanded down a skewer stick to the required diameter.
More to come.

Bones

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 05:36:08 PM »
right now I'm making the ammunition racks and might try making the rounds out of 80gsm paper,
at least the top warhead cone, the rest was easy to roll out of card once I sanded down a skewer stick to the required diameter.
More to come.
Bones

LOL I think I made two shells, maybe three. Thats all. LOL

paperbones

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 0
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 10:58:34 PM »
Well here's the fighting compartment. I made 7 of the 76mm rounds and I don't think I'll make any more, most of the racks have at least one round in them so that will have to do I think. The only issue I had was trying to get the small rack that holds 2 rounds to fit the corner where it lives, I don't think I got the angle quite right where the sides of the inner compartment join but as this will be inside  and under the top hull former anyway I don't think anyone except me will notice. The drive assemblies for the rear wheels in the engine compartment are in so next is the top plate and then fit the whole deal into the exterior lower hull.

Hopefully I haven't been too rough in the build and everything will at least be a close fit. I'm reasonably happy with the build although there is room for improvement.

Bones

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 03:14:35 PM »
yeah, looks a bit wide up near the cockpit.
the angles look a little funny.
but theres a lot of room to tuck things in and its all hidden under the deck plate.
so hopefully it shouldn't cause you too much trouble.

remember, I documented the entire build.
if you aren't already referring to it, you can.
here: http://cutandfold.info/cutandfoldforum/index.php?topic=600.0

and I'll be updating all the photos in that build/design thread eventually
(because of the photobucket issues)
but the current photos should stay visible until next year, so I got plenty of time to get it updated.

paperbones

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 0
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 07:55:13 PM »
Don't panic lol...I had already found the page and have been using it to see where I made mistakes. The lower hull is now on, photos to follow soon, and it looks ok so far. Working on the engine bay right now and have the fans and shroud in as well as the donk and currently building the cross member and oil cooler. Lots of neat little bits in this section. Axles are in and they're even level and in line...wonders will never cease !!!!.

paperbones

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 0
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 08:36:34 PM »
The fighting compartment and the engine bay are now done and small laminations on the outside of the hull are nearing completion. There are actually bolt heads as well but I drew the line at cutting, edge painting and installing them, just too small. (sorry Dave )

I've made fairly good progress due to the weather here, sunny Queensland in winter at 4C isn't an optimal operating temperature for broken bodies so apart from bringing in firewood I've stayed away from the outdoors altogether.

Next is the upper hull and then the numerous suspension components although I yet to have install the driver's instruments. A really fun build thus far.

Bones