Author Topic: The Saladin Armoured Car  (Read 368 times)

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
Re: The Saladin Armoured Car
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 11:40:35 PM »
You are moving at lightning speed and doing great work.  How long have you been doing paper models? Do you have a lot of experience with other media?
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

paperbones

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 0
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 05:48:29 PM »
Mmmmm....let's see, I first found paper models about the 2000 with a piper cub from Fiddlers Green. Things sort of progressed from there and I have to admit to not being put off by complicated models, I put about 130 hours into Jan Rukr's Starcraft gun and did his M41a and Endorifle as well. I'm having trouble finding room for them these days but I do love cardmodels, here in Oz I can't own or import a model of the Alien's M41a but papercraft and generous authors who either give away models or put an enormous amount of work into them and charge practically nothing for them allow me to have the pleasure of building and displaying these fantastic kits.
I still make basic mistakes but it's a big learning curve.

Bones

paperbones

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 0
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 08:58:50 PM »
Oh and as for other media..well I started as child building plasic kits but cardmodels offer so much enjoyment and stisfaction. I still build the occasional plastic kit from a stock I have here and I dabble in making wooden rubber band guns...but I don't tell many people about that one lol.

paperbones

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 0
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 10:21:03 PM »
The printed top section of the lower hull is now on. I didn't make sure the edges of the engine bay were really flat so there's a couple of ripples there....hopefully not noticable once the engine covers are on. Driver's instruments are in and the upper hull stiffener is being laminated to the upper hull.
Also started work on the turret while parts are laminating, I made 2 presses but need more with all the parts to be layered, guess I'll just have to take my time and do other things like perhaps the wheels. Also built up the front strip of the radiator compartment behind the engine bay as it looked a bit unsupported and it made it a bit easier to glue onto the frame.

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 08:53:25 PM »
as Supertramp said...shes comin' along
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

paperbones

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 0
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 09:18:31 PM »
While more laminations were laying up in the presses I decided to start on the wheels. Here I hit a small issue, after I joined the 2 centre tread sections I added the  first largest diameter part of the sidewall, wrapping it onto the centre tread section. The issue is that it was short and didn't meet. Dave, your photos the your build thread are taken on an angle and it isn't really clear how that first sidewall piece with the tabs on either side join. It maybe the way I've put it together, I wasn't sure if the joiner strip needed more or the tread section need to be shortened so I then added the next section of the sidewall and it fitted fine so I'm thinking that I'll just add a section of card to fill the gap in that tabbed joiner. I suspect that if I used a small strip of card to join the tabbed sidewall piece it would be too small to fit into the tread section.

Anyway I started another wheel and hit the same deal, not a problem so I'll just fix it and keep going. Please let me know if it's something I've done incorrectly, it wouldn't be the first time for me. Upper hull here I come.

paperbones

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 0
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 09:45:40 PM »
Sorry I should have provided part numbers.  :P  The tread centre section is 2 parts 211, the first tabbed sidewall is 213 and this is the part in question, the next is part 214 that fits perfectly into part 213 that has the gap.

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2017, 10:18:47 PM »

You need to post larger images...I cannot see clearly what you have assembled, or what you may have done wrong.
(... all your pictures are so small? There is no size limit to the photos you can post.)

My photos show things quite clearly, but if not clear to you, then ignore the photos and refer to your instruction pages (which are even clearer).
Sorry to be so blunt, but I think I got the instructions very clear for these Wheels.

Heres a walkthrough...
The two center tread strips (Parts 211) are assembled into hoops and connected with a tabbed backer strip.
Set that aside.

Take the two Parts 213...thats the outermost side wall rings, and mount each of them to their corresponding tabbed backer rings.
These assemble in a slight conical shape, thats why they are cut.
The tabbed backers are a fair bit smaller because they go inside.
You can leave the gap or add some small tabs if you like.

You can chooose to attach the next sidewall rings (Parts 214) if you like...to Parts 213.
Or you can install later.

Bend the outer tabs of Parts 213 and attach them to the central tread strip hoop.
They butt join hopefully to create a smooth transition from tread strip to sidewall.

If you haven't already attached the Part 214, do so now.

Now assemble the innermost sidewall rings, Part 215, in the same manner as 213, with a corresponding tabbed backer ring.
Remember that these are conical rings, but they are concave (bend inwards).
Once again, the tabbed rings are smaller to avoid conflict.
if you don't like the gap (missing tabs) just add some.

Once they are assembled, attach them to the sidewall.

You can install the inner center rings to Parts 215 after assembly.

None of the rings are too short and do not require any sort of spacers.
You must be doing something wrong if you are adding spacers to the sidewall parts.

paperbones

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 0
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 06:15:07 PM »
Yeah I should have known better considering the way everything else has gone together so well...I mistook the tabbed joiner as the sidewall, the reason it appears to be white is because of the flash of the camera.Before I open my trap next time I'll make sure I understand how it goes together...I probably would have figured it out if I'd continued the wheel build instead of jumping to the conclusion that the parts didn't fit. I can only apologize.
As for the small size of the photos I was under the impression there was about a 300kb limit, I thought I read that somewhere ...the other group I frequent ask for under 100kb on photos so I didn't question it. Reprint and rebuild, one of the beauties of cardmodels.

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 09:00:01 PM »
Hey, I often make mistakes, and sometimes people find errors in my kits.
I try to fix them as quickly as possible,
but shit happens, and errors slip by me.
There is nothing wrong with questioning things.
If you aint sure, don't assume you made the error...just ask for help.