Author Topic: Halloween Haunted (Out) House  (Read 116 times)

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
Halloween Haunted (Out) House
« on: September 20, 2017, 04:35:16 PM »
After the huge project of the Ashbrooke-Stein Dodecagon House, I needed to do something stupid.  Hence, the Haunted Privy.

Started out thinking I'd do a privy with a gigantic blue-green cloud behind it, then someone said I needed to have a door open with a specter inside.  Then someone said I needed to have the specter as a separate figure, too.  Then the question of medieval privies even existing came up, and how were they marked.  Then, since I'd wanted to have some roof gargoyles for another project, I thought 'why not'.

As far as medieval privies, they did exist though not common.  Richard II was the first royal to order having them.  They were typically on bridges, outer walls and by gutters and ditches.  They were typically near markets, but not necessarily near churches, which I thought was strange.  Generally people would find a secluded spot, or not.  Nobles caught publicly toileting would be fined and/or stripped of titles.  There were areas which were to never be used, and these were marked by having a big old Templar cross painted on a wall.  Don't go, if you can see it.  That makes me wonder about a typical sight in market towns ... the market cross.  I wonder if this was also a sign of not soiling the merchandise.

In the city of London in the 14th century, there were privy warders, whose task was to maintain the privies.  There are a few mentions of also maintaining 'a planting of mullein'.  Mullein is a soft-leaved plant that commoners and some nobles preferred as a wiping medium.  If the warder maintains the privies and the plantings, I decided that mullein plants were probably an indicator of said building being a privy.

It was fun
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

wyatt

• Kudos 0
Re: Halloween Haunted (Out) House
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 10:32:33 PM »
Very clever and well executed VK. The added history is a plus.

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 11:56:13 PM »
Holy shit!
Boo!!
shit!
Boo!!

made me laugh. Good job!!!
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 09:06:30 AM »
A little laugh was the goal.  Version 1 can be glimpsed off to the side.  Only two things wrong with it -- too large to get all the pieces for the main structure on one page, and the door would open to the middle, meaning folks could theoretically run into each other as they were exiting.  I bet Dave knows the feeling, get something designed and all but one piece will fit on one page.  Then the project developed.

This was supposed to be a couple hour light project, but when folks asked for more and asked questions, the curiosity got me.

Anyway, this is a little freebie for Halloween
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet