Author Topic: October (2017)  (Read 876 times)

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 27
Re: October (2017)
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 11:18:10 AM »
October 11, 1910 Teddy Roosevelt Becomes First President to Fly

Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., was the first President of the United States of America to fly aboard an airplane. At Kinloch Field, St. Louis, Missouri, (now, Lambert–St. Louis International Airport) Arch Hoxsey, a member of the Wright demonstration team, invited the former president for a flight. Initially Roosevelt declined, but then accepted the offer to accompany Hoxsey aboard the Wright Flyer.
...This Day in Aviation

Watch the video at http://www.airspacemag.com/video/Teddy-Roosevelt-Goes-Flying.html

“It was great! First class! It was the finest experience I have ever had,” he declared. “I wish I could stay up for an hour, but I haven’t the time this afternoon.” ... Theodore Roosevelt

Unfortunately I could not find the 1910 Wright Flyer.  The Canon and FG Wright Flyers are of earlier versions, and even though there are more versions (from Styrofoam trays at another site), they are also earlier versions.

So you are stuck with a Teddy Roosevelt cubee.  http://web.archive.org/web/20120501153430/http://7ater.com/cubee/2010/01/21/26-theodore-roosevelt/comment-page-1/

I really wish Zio would have done some of the famous Americans, but that will never be...
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 27
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 01:22:40 PM »
October 12, 1916 Lock Martin Born

Lock Martin, the big guy who was in the Gort suit in the original The Day the Earth Stood Still. Listed at over seven and a half feet tall, Martin had a lot of the health problems often associated with being very tall, including problems with the joints. Moving around in the suit was very difficult for him and carrying another human was out of the question. When Gort carries Patricia Neal in one scene and Michael Rennie in another, the weight of those actors was supported by wires.
... This Day in Sci Fi

You can find the saucer and Gort (at a considerably smaller size than the original suit) at https://www.paperformed.com/sci-fi.html

You can also get Gort's helmet from Dave's helmet collection at http://davesdesigns.ca/cutandfold/html/free_paper_models.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 27
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 11:13:45 AM »
October 13, 2012 Endeavor Travels Streets of Los Angeles

"Houston, I think we made a wrong turn"

Actually, this is the last trolley ride of the Endeavor while traveling to its last resting place at a museum.  From other photos, the trolley looks like it was designed to spread the weight of the Endeavor (which I am assuming was pretty well gutted), but still that is an awful lot of weight on residential streets.

You can download the Endeavor in its final mission markings at http://www.axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/old/download5.html#.WeDXy03rtt8

BTW ... Don't they have street lights in LA?

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 27
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 11:17:00 AM »
October 14, Amityville Murder Trial Begins

Ronald DeFeo Jr. goes on trial for the killings of his parents and four siblings in their Amityville, New York, home on October 14, 1975. The family’s house was later said to be haunted and served as the inspiration for the Amityville Horror book and movies.

On the evening of November 13, 1974, Ronald “Butch” DeFeo Jr. entered an Amityville bar and told people his parents had been shot inside their home. Several bar patrons accompanied DeFeo back to his family’s home, at 112 Ocean Avenue, where a man named Joe Yeswit called Suffolk Country police to report the crime. When officers arrived, they found the bodies of Ronald DeFeo Sr., age 43, his wife Louise, 42, and their children Dawn, 18, Allison, 13, Marc, 11, and John, 9. The victims had been shot dead in their beds. Ronald DeFeo Jr., 22, initially tried to say the murders were a mob hit; however, by the next day he confessed to committing the crimes himself.

One aspect of the case that puzzled investigators was the fact that all six victims appeared to have died in their sleep, without struggle, and neighbors didn’t hear any gunshots, despite the fact that the rifle DeFeo used didn’t have a silencer. When DeFeo’s trial began in October 1975, his attorney argued for an insanity defense; however, that November, he was found guilty of six counts of second-degree murder and later sentenced to six consecutive sentences of 25 years to life in prison. DeFeo, who gave conflicting accounts of his story over the years, later claimed his sister Dawn and two other accomplices were involved in the murders.

The DeFeo house was sold to George Lutz, who moved in with his wife and three children in December 1975. The new owners resided in the house for 28 days, before they fled, claiming it was haunted by the spirits of the DeFeo family. Critics accused George Lutz of concocting the story to make money, but he maintained he was telling the truth. In 1977, Jay Anson published a novel titled The Amityville Horror. The book became a best-seller and inspired a 1979 movie of the same name, as well as a 2005 remake.
...History.com

You can find the Amityville House at http://www.haunteddimensions.raykeim.com/index324.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 27
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 11:18:53 AM »
October 15, 1863  CSS Hunley Sinks Again During Testing

After sinking on August 29, 1863 during tests in Charleston Harbor, killing five of the seven crew members, the Hunley was raised.  In order to get a crew to get on board again, H.L. Hunley joined the next crew on October 15th.  This time it went down with all crew, including Hunley.  It was raised again and later went on to become the first combat submarine to sink an enemy warship.  In so doing, it went down again with all crew lost.  It was raised again in 2000, never to sail again.

You can find the model at https://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/1-48-css-hunley-1864-paper-model.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 27
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 12:54:21 PM »
Sovereign of the Skies Last Flight

Pan American World Airways’ Flight 6 was a scheduled around-the-world passenger flight. The final leg, Honolulu to San Francisco, was flown by a Boeing Model 377 Stratocruiser with civil registration N90943, and named Sovereign of the Skies. The airplane had a flight crew of 7 and carried 24 passengers. The aircraft commander was Captain Richard N. Ogg, a veteran pilot with more than 13,000 flight hours accumulated over twenty years. First Officer George L. Haaker, Flight Engineer Frank Garcia, Jr., and Navigator Richard L. Brown completed the flight crew. The cabin crew were Purser Pat Reynolds, who had been with Pan Am for over ten years, and Stewardesses Katherine Araki and Mary Ellen Daniel.

The flight from Honolulu to San Francisco was estimated to take 8 hours, 54 minutes. Captain Ogg had the airplane fueled for a total flight time of 12 hours, 18 minutes.

Flight 6 departed Honolulu at 8:24 p.m., Hawaii Standard Time, 15 October (06:24, 16 October, GMT), and climbed to 13,000 feet (3,962 meters) on course.

4 hours, 38 minutes after takeoff, Flight 6 requested a pre-planned climb to 21,000 feet (6,400 meters), at a point about half-way—in terms of flight time—between the departure point and destination, what is dramatically called “The Point of No Return” in suspense movies. (Actually, this is called the Equal Time Point: Taking into consideration forecast winds, the time to fly back to the departing point is the same as the time to continue toward the destination.)

On leveling at the new cruise altitude at 1:19 a.m. (HST), First Officer Haaker reduced engine power. The propeller for the Number 1 engine, the outside engine on the left wing, suffered a prop governor failure and began to overspeed, with engine r.p.m. actually exceeding the limits of its tachometer. This created a very dangerous condition: If the propeller turned fast enough, it could be torn apart by centrifugal force. (See This Day In Aviation, 22 March 1956, for an example.)

The crew was unable to feather the propeller which would cause its four blades to turn parallel to the slip stream, increasing the load on the engine while reducing aerodynamic drag. The engine and propeller continued to turn at dangerously high speed so Captain Ogg decided to force the engine to stop by cutting off its lubricating oil supply. This caused the engine to seize but the propeller continued to “windmill”.

The drag caused by the propeller slowed the airplane considerably and the three remaining engines had to run at high power for the Boeing 377 to maintain its altitude. But the Number 4 engine (outer engine on the right wing) was developing only partial power at full throttle. At 2:45 a.m., it began to backfire and had to be shut down. The airplane began to descend toward the ocean’s surface.

With the drag of the windmilling Number 1 propeller and only two engines running, Sovereign of the Skies could fly at just 140 knots (161 miles per hour/259 kilometers per hour), not fast enough to reach San Francisco or to return to Honolulu before running out of fuel. The navigator estimated that they would run out of fuel 250 miles (402 kilometers) from land.

The United States Coast Guard kept a high endurance cutter on station between Hawaii and California, at a point known as Ocean Station November. This ship provided assistance with weather information, radio communications and was available to assist should an emergency arise aboard trans-Pacific airplanes. On 16 October 1956, this cutter was USCGC Pontchartrain (WHEC 70), under the command of Commander William K. Earle, USCG. Pontchartrain was a 255-foot (77.7 meter) patrol gunboat built by the U.S. Coast Guard ship yard at Curtiss Bay, Maryland, and commissioned 28 July 1945. The ship was redesignated as a high endurance cutter in 1948. The cutter had a complement of 143 men. It was powered by a turbo-electric drive of 4,000 shaft horsepower and was capable on making 17 knots.

Captain Ogg notified Ponchartrain that he intended to ditch the airliner near the ship. The Coast Guard provided Captain Ogg with wind and wave information—five-foot (1.5 meter) swells, wind at eight knots (4 meters per second) from the northwest—and advised the best heading for ditching. The ship laid a trail of foam to mark this course.

At 6:15 a.m., at approximately 90 knots airspeed (104 miles per hour/167 kilometers per hour), the Boeing 377 landed on the water. A wing hit a swell, spinning the airplane to the left. The tail broke off and the airplane began to settle. Injuries were minor and all passengers and crew evacuated the airliner. They were immediately picked up by Pontchartrain. Captain Ogg and Purser Reynolds were the last to leave the airplane.

Twenty minutes after touching down, at 6:35 a.m., Sovereign of the Skies sank beneath the ocean’s surface.
... This Day in Aviation

There are a couple B-377's at ecardmodels, but instead of going with a later Pan Am livery, I'm going to use Murph's prototype 377, https://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/1-76-boeing-377-stratocruiser-prototype-paper-model.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 27
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 03:28:35 PM »
October 17, 1947 Michael McKean Born

I have to admit that the tagline on the photo is something I totally agree with. And you may wonder what I picked for the model.  An amplifier that goes to eleven?  No.

Let's pick three for Stonehenge.  You can get a model of Stonehenge at http://www.lookingbackimports.com/lookingbackimports/stonehenge-paper-model-kit-build-it-yourself-ff8081812e3851d2012e453ce58a0544-p.html.

Or if you can find it, you can get the 2009 Album 'Back from the Dead'.  Why?  It has cutouts that pay tribute to this funny moment of the film.

Or, if you want to build your standing stones to the size they were in the movie, you can enlarge Kevin's megalithic standing stones, http://www.rpgnow.com/product/213456/Kevs-Lounge-Battlegrounds--Megalith?src=newest

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 27
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 11:29:08 AM »
October 18, 1984 B-1B Lancer First Flight

The first production Rockwell International B-1B Lancer, serial number 82-0001, a supersonic four-engine strategic bomber with variable sweep wings, made its first flight at Air Force Plant 42, Palmdale, California. Rockwell test pilot M.L. Evenson was in command, with co-pilot Lieutenant Colonel L.B. Schroeder, U.S. Air Force; Major S.A. Henry, Offensive Systems Officer; Captain D.E. Hamilton, Defensive Systems Officer. After 3 hours, 20 minutes, the B-1B landed at Edwards Air Force Base where it would enter a flight test program.

100 B-1B Lancers were built. As of June 2014, 63 B-1B bombers are in the active Air Force inventory, with 2 additional flight test aircraft at Edwards Air Force Base.

To comply with the START weapons treaty, B-1B 82-0001 was scrapped at Ellsworth Air Force Base, South Dakota, in the mid-1990s.
... This Day in Aviation

For the model, go to Ojimak's Hangar at http://ojimak.web.fc2.com/hanger.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 27
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 11:44:41 AM »
October 19, 1926 John C Garand patents semi-automatic rifle

The M1 Garand (officially designated as United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1, later simply called Rifle, Caliber .30, M1, also abbreviated as US Rifle, Cal. .30, M1) is a semi-automatic rifle chambered for the .30-06 Springfield rifle cartridge. It was the first standard-issue semi-automatic rifle. Called "the greatest battle implement ever devised" by General George S. Patton, the Garand officially replaced the bolt-action M1903 Springfield as the standard service rifle of the United States Armed Forces
... Wikipedia

With all of the different weapons available for download, I thought this would be easier.

At the PM.com forum in the downloads, there is a model available of the M1 Garand Barrel, which can be fitted to the M14 stock also available in the Downloads section.  You can find these available in the Downloads at http://www.papermodelers.com/

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 27
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 12:32:18 PM »
October 20, 1973 Sydney Opera House Opens

After 15 years of construction, the Sydney Opera House is dedicated by Queen Elizabeth II. The $80 million structure, designed by Danish architect Jørn Utzon and funded by the profits of the Opera House Lotteries, was built on Bennelong Point, in Sydney, Australia. Famous for its geometric roof shells, the structure contains several large auditoriums and presents an average of 3,000 events a year to an estimated two million people. The first performance in the complex was the Australian Opera’s production of Sergei Prokofiev’s War and Peace, which was held in the 1,547-seat Opera Theatre. Today, the Opera House remains Sydney’s best-known landmark.
... History.com

You can have your own from Canon at http://cp.c-ij.com/jp/contents/CNT-0011511/index.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 27
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 12:46:59 PM »
October 21, 1956 Carrie Fisher Born

Okay, just an excuse for Star Wars models.  I have always liked the models from SF-Papercraft, http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~sf-papercraft/sifi.html

My son's girlfriend's little girl is into Disney Princesses, and I threw this one in, http://movies.disney.com.au/star-wars-princess-leia-papercraft

RIP, Carrie