Author Topic: 1/100 Polish resque and salvage tug Cyklon by Pro-Model  (Read 2868 times)

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
1/100 Polish resque and salvage tug Cyklon by Pro-Model
« on: January 03, 2012, 03:40:09 AM »
I have had an urge for a long time to build a detailed paper model of a ship. I have some 1/250 vessels already bought but I thought I neede some practise before i start with those. Tugs, salvage vessels and all sorts of workboats for some strange reason are my favourite subject - maybe it's the practical esthetics that I like.

This one is a Polish built salvage and resque vessel type R-27 built 1974 in Gdansk for the harsh North Sea conditions. Several we're built and some of them are operational even today. She's nearly 30 meters long, has 1200 HP power, speeds up 12 knots and has the operational range of 1800 nautival miles.

I found a good reference site (http://www.boatmodelling.com/component/option,com_zoom/Itemid,13/catid,57/lang,en/) too showing a lot of details that don't appear in the model. I try to encorporate some of them into my build.

She's got some heavy duty sea going lines (or should I write loins?) doesn't she?

With the model I also bought laser cut frames for it. I never build anything without these accessories if these only are available. So easy, so fast and that tidious process of cutting the formers and fitting them is away. I wanted to dry fit them, but it turned out to be the permanent installement - fit is tight and I just apply some glue to the joints and that's it. I have to go to a drugstore first to by me a syringe and some needles though - for the glue that is.

Funny to learn a new forum and how to post to it. Had to go to the archives to dig up my old Photobucket membership and so on.

It's going to be a longish ride but I'm in no particular hurry elsewhere. Hope you all enjoy this too, I try to do my best with this model.

BR Tappi

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
Re: 1/100 Polish resque and salvage tug Cyklon by Pro-Model
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 08:32:11 AM »
Very nice Tappi...the Battlstar Galactica fans will like this one! (lol Cylon = Cyklon in Polish?)

What glue are you using? (in reference to the need for syringe)
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 10:21:31 AM »
I was thinking of diluted PVA and the syringe method just because the gaps of the frame are so narrow. Much bigger problem is skinning her. I now of several methods to do that but I have never tried none of them. My life story - never done this before and here I go again. More of that later.

BR Tappi

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 12:35:17 PM »
I have never built a skin over skeleton-type model, so I am watching this, hoping to learn something
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 01:27:07 PM »
Vermin, we share that wish! Believe me.   ???

BR Tappi

milenio3

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
    • Paper Jerry Scale Models
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 03:31:43 PM »
I've seen some modelers that build the hull skin separated from the skeleton, and after the skin is completed, they just match it up over the skeleton.

Let's see what works for you.
- Gerardo
facebook.com/paperjerry

Tapcho

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 13
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 02:25:23 PM »
That is what I'm considering at the moment separate skin and then glue it on the skeleton. The only problem with that method is that it's needed to do in two pieces anyway because the keel is formed from three pieces in the middle. On the otherhand if I fail with the skinning I can always take filler, repair the damages, sand the hull and paint everything. Well more of that  when I have same sparetime.

BR Tappi

cgutzmer

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 0
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 05:35:23 PM »
looking great! cant wait to see more :)

milenio3

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 9
    • Paper Jerry Scale Models
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 02:22:36 PM »
You are right, tapcho... I guess it depends on the model design.

Anyway, let us know what worked for you.
- Gerardo
facebook.com/paperjerry