Author Topic: February (2018)  (Read 365 times)

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
Re: February (2018)
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 01:18:26 PM »
February 8, 1933 First Flight of Boeing 247

8 February 1933: Boeing test pilot Leslie R. (“Les”) Tower and United Air Lines Captain Louis C. Goldsmith made the first flight of the Boeing Model 247, NX13300, a twin-engine airline transport, at Boeing Field, Seattle, Washington. The first flight lasted 40 minutes and Tower was quite pleased with the airplane. He took it up a second time later in the day.
The 247 is considered to be the first modern airliner because of its all-metal semi-monocoque construction, cantilevered wing and retractable landing gear. It was 50 mph faster than its contemporaries, and could climb on one engine with a full load.

You can find your own Skymaster in United livery at https://www.ecardmodels.com/index.php/1-48-boeing-247-united-aircraft-transport-co-paper-model.html
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2018, 12:11:41 PM »
February 9, 2018 -- My grandson's mom has Influenza A, so I have to do a mad scramble.  On This Date on hold.

Wish me luck on babysitting

Burning Beard

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 6
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2018, 07:06:28 PM »
Good Luck

yukonjohn

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 5
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2018, 11:21:13 PM »
February 9, 2018 -- My grandson's mom has Influenza A, so I have to do a mad scramble.  On This Date on hold. Wish me luck on babysitting

And quick recovery for mommy  ;).

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 11:34:04 PM »
We've got some fresh Influenza outbreak here...people dying.
I don't know whats going on.
I didn't hear the entire newstory, but I guess they are pushing flu shots again.
I'm not getting one.
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 10:27:13 AM »
Well, I shut down work early Friday and took Warren to my folks (away from the Influenza carrier).  Had a great weekend until I started coming down sick yesterday afternoon.  Mom and Dad agreed it would be best if I headed home, so they watched him on their own.  Seems to be going okay.  Warren heads home this afternoon, unless the situation changes.  Mom's fever was down last night.  Dad hadn't come down with it, so it looks like I'm the only one that picked it up

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 01:21:16 PM »
Going to just do some recycled posts to get caught up--

February 9, 1846  Wilhelm Maybach Born

Automotive industry pioneer Wilhelm Maybach, who founded the luxury car brand bearing his name, is born on February 9, 1846, in Heilbronn, Germany.

From the late 19th century Wilhelm Maybach, together with Gottlieb Daimler, developed light, high-speed internal combustion engines suitable for land, water, and air use. These were fitted to the world's first motorcycle, motorboat, and after Daimler's death, to a new automobile introduced in late 1902, the Mercedes model, built to the specifications of Emil Jellinek.

Maybach rose to become technical director of the Daimler Motoren Gesellschaft, or DMG, (and never known by the English name of the quite separate English business, The Daimler Motor Company) but he did not get on well with its chairmen. As a result Maybach left DMG in 1907 to found Maybach-Motorenbau GmbH together with his son Karl in 1909; they manufactured Zeppelin engines. After the signing of the Versailles Treaty in 1919 the company started producing large luxury vehicles, branded as "Maybach".

DaimlerChrysler brought back the brand and one of their concepts, the Maybach Exelero is available from Streetpaper.

You can find it here:  http://www.racepaper.de/street/pkw/maybach.htm

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 01:38:30 PM »
So much for the quick idea -- can't get the image to show.  So went with ...

February 10, 1967 Laura Dern Born

For the model, the JP Explorer from Patrick Pasques, http://alombredupommier.blogspot.com/2009/12/jurassic-park-explorer-papercraft.html

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 01:45:44 PM »
February 11, 1861 President-elect Lincoln Leaves Springfield for Washington

I really like how History.com has this, so I'm going to pretty much use the whole thing (correcting their spelling)

On this day in 1861, President-elect Abraham Lincoln leaves home in Springfield, Illinois, and embarks on his journey to Washington, D.C.

On a cold, rainy morning, Lincoln boarded a two-car private train loaded with his family's belongings, which he himself had packed and bound. His wife, Mary Todd Lincoln, was in St. Louis on a shopping trip, and joined him later in Indiana. It was a somber occasion. Lincoln was leaving his home and heading into the maw of national crisis. Since he had been elected, seven Southern states had seceded from the Union. Lincoln knew that his actions upon entering office would likely lead to civil war. He spoke to a crowd before departing: "Here I have lived a quarter of a century, and have passed from a young man to an old man. Here my children have been born, and one is buried. I now leave, not knowing when, or whether ever, I may return, with a task before me greater than that which rested upon Washington. Without the assistance of that Divine Being... I cannot succeed. With that assistance, I cannot fail... To His care commending you, as I hope in your prayers you will commend me, I bid you an affectionate farewell."

A bystander reported that the president-elect's "breast heaved with emotion and he could scarcely command his feelings." Indeed, Lincoln's words were prophetic—a funeral train carried him back to Springfield just over four years later.
... History.com

You can download the station where he boarded, the family home he left, and the Lincoln Tomb at https://www2.illinois.gov/ihpa/Preserve/Pages/construct_mainstreet.aspx

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 01:51:03 PM »
February 12, 1809 Abraham Lincoln Born

On this day in 1809, Abraham Lincoln is born in Hodgenville, Kentucky.

Lincoln, one of America’s most admired presidents, grew up a member of a poor family in Kentucky and Indiana. He attended school for only one year, but thereafter read on his own in a continual effort to improve his mind. As an adult, he lived in Illinois and performed a variety of jobs including stints as a postmaster, surveyor and shopkeeper, before entering politics. He served in the Illinois legislature from 1834 to 1836, and then became an attorney. In 1842, Lincoln married Mary Todd; together, the pair raised four sons.

Lincoln returned to politics during the 1850s, a time when the nation’s long-standing division over slavery was flaring up, particularly in new territories being added to the Union. As leader of the new Republican Party, Lincoln was considered politically moderate, even on the issue of slavery. He advocated the restriction of slavery to the states in which it already existed and described the practice in a letter as a minor issue as late as 1854. In an 1858 senatorial race, as secessionist sentiment brewed among the southern states, he warned, a house divided against itself cannot stand. He did not win the Senate seat but earned national recognition as a strong political force. Lincoln’s inspiring oratory soothed a populace anxious about southern states’ secessionist threats and boosted his popularity.

As a presidential candidate in the election of 1860, Lincoln tried to reassure slaveholding interests that although he favored abolition, he had no intention of ending the practice in states where it already existed and prioritized saving the Union over freeing slaves. When he won the presidency by approximately 400,000 popular votes and carried the Electoral College, he was in effect handed a ticking time bomb. His concessions to slaveholders failed to prevent South Carolina from leading other states in an exodus from the Union that began shortly after his election. By February 1, 1861, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana and Texas had also seceded. Soon after, the Civil War began. As the war progressed, Lincoln moved closer to committing himself and the nation to the abolitionist movement and, in 1863, finally signed the Emancipation Proclamation. The document freed slaves in the Confederate states, but did not address the legality of slavery in Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska or Arkansas.

Lincoln was the tallest president at 6′ 4. As a young man, he impressed others with his sheer physical strength–he was a legendary wrestler in Illinois–and entertained friends and strangers alike with his dry, folksy wit, which was still in evidence years later. Exasperated by one Civil War military defeat after another, Lincoln wrote to a lethargic general if you are not using the army I should like to borrow it for awhile. An animal lover, Lincoln once declared, “I care not for a man’s religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.” Fittingly, a variety of pets took up residence at the Lincoln White House, including a pet turkey named Jack and a goat called Nanko. Lincoln’s son Tad frequently hitched Nanko to a small wagon and drove around the White House grounds.

Lincoln’s sense of humor may have helped him to hide recurring bouts of depression. He admitted to friends and colleagues that he suffered from intense melancholia and hypochondria most of his adult life. Perhaps in order to cope with it, Lincoln engaged in self-effacing humor, even chiding himself about his famously homely looks. When an opponent in an 1858 Senate race debate called him two-faced, he replied, If I had another face do you think I would wear this one?

Lincoln is remembered as The Great Emancipator. Although he waffled on the subject of slavery in the early years of his presidency, his greatest legacy was his work to preserve the Union and his signing of the Emancipation Proclamation. To Confederate sympathizers, however, Lincoln’s signing of the Emancipation Proclamation reinforced his image as a hated despot and ultimately led John Wilkes Booth to assassinate him on April 14, 1865. His favorite horse, Old Bob, pulled his funeral hearse.
...History.com

You can find a 'colorful' vintage model of his birthplace at http://doombringer-skade.blogspot.com/2012/05/abraham-lincolns-papercraft-cabin.html.

Not nearly as nice as Tapcho's boyhood home on Knob Creek, http://cutandfold.info/cutandfoldforum/index.php?topic=417.0

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 12:20:44 PM »
February 13, 1689 William and Mary Become Joint Sovereigns

Following Britain’s bloodless Glorious Revolution, Mary, the daughter of the deposed king, and William of Orange, her husband, are proclaimed joint sovereigns of Great Britain under Britain’s new Bill of Rights.

William, a Dutch prince, married Mary, the daughter of the future King James II, in 1677. After James’ succession to the English throne in 1685, the Protestant William kept in close contact with the opposition to the Catholic king. After the birth of an heir to James in 1688, seven high-ranking members of Parliament invited William and Mary to England. William landed at Torbay in Devonshire with an army of 15,000 men and advanced to London, meeting no opposition from James’ army, which had deserted the king. James himself was allowed to escape to France, and in February 1689 Parliament offered the crown jointly to William and Mary, provided they accept the Bill of Rights.

The Bill of Rights, which greatly limited royal power and broadened constitutional law, granted Parliament control of finances and the army and prescribed the future line of royal succession, declaring that no Roman Catholic would ever be sovereign of England. The document also stated that Englishmen possessed certain inviolable civil and political rights, a political concept that was a major influence in the composition of the U.S. Bill of Rights, composed almost exactly a century later.

The Glorious Revolution, the ascension of William and Mary, and the acceptance of the Bill of Rights were decisive victories for Parliament in its long struggle against the crown.
...History.com

Since this is actually more about Parliament, will go with the Canon model, http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/CNT-0010399/index.html