Author Topic: File formats  (Read 79 times)

alparent

• Kudos 0
File formats
« on: February 01, 2018, 01:41:29 PM »
Is their a way to get projects in other format then PDF?
I have a Silhouette Cameo cutter, so having something like .dxf or .svg files would be great.
I do realize that supplying plans in that format would probably allow us to change the colors and patterns.
But is their a way to lock this? Just wondering? 

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
Re: File formats
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 01:52:49 PM »
Pdf's is the accepted format.  You can always change it.  Most of the folks I know with cutters want pdf's
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 02:10:40 PM »
Yeah, PDF distribution has become the norm, unless you are a PDO (Pepakura) fan.

Since every model designer uses different software, PDF provides a common file format that anyone can share and print.

Most guys open the PDFs in graphics programs to trace and create the cut outlines.
I don't know much about it myself.

Although I sometimes wish I had a machine to do the tedious repetitive cutting,
I still think hand cutting is part of the process, part of the fun, and part of the challenge of paper modeling.
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!

Burning Beard

• Verified Member
  • Kudos 6
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 03:21:28 PM »
I agree with Dave about the hand cutting, I find it rather relaxing.  Getting lines for a cutter can be quite a problem, in my business, I hand generate outlines all the time using Corel Draw, then export the files as eps for my plotter/cutter.  I think the thing that would drive me nuts about cutting a model using a plotter would be lining the page up.  I realize you would could probably use reference marks, but unless your plotter recognizes them alignment would be frustrating to set it up for the tolerances need for a model.  However, if you plotter will also print it would be simple.

Beard

Vermin King

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos 29
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 04:09:20 PM »
There are no strangers in this world ...
Only people I haven't embarrassed ... yet

Lighter

• Kudos 0
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 07:56:02 AM »
A pdf is usually able to be imported into either Adobe Illustrator or CorelDraw and then Exported as a .dxf or .svg file.  Within Draw or Illustrator you can edit to your heart's content - recolors are common in the hobby.  Just so you don't share your effort without permission.  Note that you should check the exported file in a CAD program to fix errors.

There are freeware vector drawing programs  (Inkscape for example) and CAD programs (DraftSight 2017 x64 for example) out there.  I'm not fluent enough in either to see if this conversion is possible using those tools.

Do a google using PDF to DXF conversion as your argument.  You'll turn up lots of free and pay ($$$) converters.  As a class they can't "fix" any errors in the files they produce and you'll still need CAD for that.

All in all - it's a whole other hobby.
Bristow, VA

Lighter

• Kudos 0
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 08:23:11 AM »
AAK!  I'm a slug.  Edit time passed before I found the photo I wanted to attach to the conversion reply I made above.  This is a rework using CorelDraw of published PDFs of two Civil war tugs that had, to my research, errors.  Additional parts were also needed.

CT
NoVA

Bristow, VA

alparent

• Kudos 0
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 01:47:40 PM »
Thanks for all your input. I'm trying to get ready for when my cutter arrives.

Dave Winfield

• Administrator
  • Kudos 51
    • Dave's Card Creations
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 11:55:04 PM »
Good stuff guys.

Good luck with the Cutter.
Please keep us updated.

Even though I don't use a cutter, I know there are more and more of you making use of them.
This info is helpful to all.

*I have moved this discussion into the General Discussion area.
DAVE WINFIELD - GO TO WWW.CUTANDFOLD.INFO FOR MY DESIGNS AND LOTSA FREE STUFF!